Mac Pro: what's in yours?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Just a quick survey to see which components Apple installed inside your Mac Pro.

My 250GB hard disk is a WD 2500JS, and my optical is a Pioneer DVR-111. My memory is from Micron.

Anybody know which 500GB HDD Apple use?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah

Just a quick survey to see which components Apple installed inside your Mac Pro.

My 250GB hard disk is a WD 2500JS, and my optical is a Pioneer DVR-111. My memory is from Micron.

Anybody know which 500GB HDD Apple use?

NM. I read your post again. The Pioneer is Apple installed.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    I got the stock mac pro from an apple retail store.

I added 2 gigs of 3rd party RAM with custom heat sinks, two 300GB hard drives (for a RAID-0), and a 500GB seagate HD.

That's a total of 1.35TB, for those keeping score.

I should point out that seagate is selling drives now with updated firmware so that you can do 4 x 750GB drives (for a total of 3TB) in the Mac Pro.

I'm pretty sure Apple's 500GB is Maxtor--yet another reason I'm happy I didn't get a BTO machine.

And if anyone should need a replacement Pioneer DVR-111, http://www.newegg.com is selling them for $33 (new).. I bought one to replace the broken drive in my G5 before I sold it.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    My Harddrive is a seagate(250gb) and the optical is a Sony not pioneer....
  • Reply 4 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RBF817

Oh wow, mine too

Code:

SONY DVD RW DW-D150A:

ModeltSONY DVD RW DW-D150A

Revisiont1.MD

Serial Numbert

Detachable DrivetNo

ProtocoltATAPI

Unit Numbert0

Socket TypetInternal

Low Power PollingtNo

• Reply 5 of 34
    My machine was shipped from Apple with two Sony DVD-RW and a Seagate 500Gig drive. I'm not at home now, so I'll post the model numbers later, if anyone is interested.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    Rush Limbaugh opened his show today saying he was using his new 3 Ghz Xeon Mac Pro Quad with 4 500Gig hard drives and 16 GB RAM.

I'm envious. Waiting for my new mini to arrive next week.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I've a 2.66 with X1900 XT and full wireless. Standard everything else, I think I'll be adding a fast-read DVD-ROM drive of some sort for loading backups, some hard drives, and more RAM.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mehdi

My machine was shipped from Apple with two Sony DVD-RW and a Seagate 500Gig drive. I'm not at home now, so I'll post the model numbers later, if anyone is interested.

I noticed you got the 3 gHz. The guys with 2.66 are getting 2-2.5 seconds on my factorial benchmark. I'd like to see what a quad 3.0 gHz would get.

Attachment 128

• Reply 9 of 34
    [QUOTE=lundy]I noticed you got the 3 gHz. The guys with 2.66 are getting 2-2.5 seconds on my factorial benchmark. I'd like to see what a quad 3.0 gHz would get.

QUOTE]

I will run this as soon as I get home, and will post the result.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    My stock MacPro 2.66 is a replacement under AppleCare for a G5 Dual 2.5 that was officially declared dead recently. The hard drive is a WDC WD2500JS-41SGO and the optical drive is a Sony DVD RW DW-150A. The memory was Micron as was the additional memory installed at the Apple Store. The second drive from the dead G5, a Hitachi 250GB Serial ATA HD, was also installed.

As a side note, the AppleCare I had on the G5 really paid off.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy

I noticed you got the 3 gHz. The guys with 2.66 are getting 2-2.5 seconds on my factorial benchmark. I'd like to see what a quad 3.0 gHz would get.

Here's the result:

Code:

/Users/mehdi/Desktop/factorialBench/factorialBench; exit

Mac Pro ("MacPro1,1") with 4 cores, running at 3.00 gHz.

Frontside bus: 1.33 gHz

Installed memory: 4.00 GB

50,000,000 factorials will be calculated by creating 4 threads.

Thread # 1 created.

Thread # 2 created.

Thread # 3 created.

Thread # 4 created.

Waiting for threads to finish...

Thread # 2: 12,500,000 factorials calculated in 1.984018 seconds at 6,300,346 factorials per second.

Thread # 1: 12,500,000 factorials calculated in 1.985952 seconds at 6,294,210 factorials per second.

Thread # 3: 12,500,000 factorials calculated in 1.986623 seconds at 6,292,084 factorials per second.

Thread # 4: 12,500,000 factorials calculated in 1.988188 seconds at 6,287,132 factorials per second.

logout

[Process completed]

I did run it a few times, but the results are very much alike... i.e. less than 0.01 second diffeence between runs. At the time, only Safari and Finder were open.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    My 3 GHz Mac Pro's 500 GB drive is a Seagate ST3500641AS. Both of my SuperDrives are SONY DW-D150As. All 2 GB of my RAM is stock so Micron I assume.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mehdi

Here's the result:

HOOOO-BOY! Damn, that thing screams.

I've added the results to my list. One of these days I will make a spreadsheet.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RBF817

Same here... but seagate 160GB, sony dvdr.... and i added 2 more seagate 7200.10 250GB. not sure what brand my ram is
  • Reply 15 of 34
    Quote:

Attachment 128

Do you have an Altivec-enhanced factorial benchmark to run on the G5 for comparison?
  • Reply 16 of 34
    No, I can do assembly language no problem, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I don't really want the benchmark to run any faster - in fact I have it compiled with no optimization at all. If I turn on optimization, it speeds it up by about 600%.

Also, I have to do some thinking about how to vectorize a factorial - it's not being obvious to me on first glance.

I will upload the source if anyone wants to take a crack at it.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    Quote:

Also, I have to do some thinking about how to vectorize a factorial - it's not being obvious to me on first glance.

8! = 8 x 7 x 6 x 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 40320

8! = (8 x 7) x (6 x 5) x (4 x 3) x (2 x 1) = 40320

8! = (8 x 7 x 6 x 5) x (4 x 3 x 2 x 1) = (8!/4!) x 4! = 40320

So hypothetically you could "gamma" four 32bit ints (or two 64bit ints) in one instruction. I'm pretty sure the G5 has two Altivec cores per CPU core, so even better.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ricksbrain

Rush Limbaugh opened his show today saying he was using his new 3 Ghz Xeon Mac Pro Quad with 4 500Gig hard drives and 16 GB RAM.

I'm envious. Waiting for my new mini to arrive next week.

Wow! I want a setup like that to order perscription refills too! Tis all in good fun...

That is a really amazing setup considering his workflow is basicly several web browsers (he must have people doing all the audio work for him, as the implant can not deliver the fine level of hearing needed to make something like fake songs or phone calls sound good or clean up 3rd party audio clips).

Really, what does he do on there besides play Tiger Woods and read the NYT so he can bitch about it on the radio?
  • Reply 19 of 34
    Seriously?
  • Reply 20 of 34
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Yeah, that's probably the most undeserved setup ever.