AMD chief says Apple will eventually use AMD chips

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Advanced Micro Devices chief executive Hector Ruiz said Wednesday that Apple Computer will eventually use its microprocessors alongside those from Intel.

Ruiz made the comments during a dinner speech at the Commonwealth Club in San Francisco, according to Bloomberg.

"Everybody wants choice,'' he said, adding that rival Intel Corp's practices have stifled the PC industry's growth. "Knowing Apple, why would they want to be held hostage like everyone else has been?"

Adding AMD as a supplier would be simple for Apple because the company has already adapted its Mac OS X system software to work on Intel chips, which use the same instruction set as AMD, Ruiz said.

The Sunnyvale, California-based AMD is the world's second-largest chipmaker, behind only Intel.

The two chipmakers have been intertwined in a fierce battle for market share with AMD recently pushing Intel's share of the market to less than 80 percent for the first time in four years.

Apple has declined to comment on the report.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 159
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Sounds to me like pure wishing and pie-in-the-sky speculation on Ruiz's part.

If wishes were horses, etc.
  • Reply 2 of 159
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Not going to happen Hector.
  • Reply 3 of 159
    that would be of great appeal to non mac users, the introduction of amd chips would open up a whole new buisness opportunity to apple. I am doubtful of whether it will happen or not but it will be an interesting story to follow. It also makes me wonder on how intel would react to apple introducing those chips.

Sometimes though all these changes so quickly make me wonder if i shoulda waited to get my imac. I was fortunate enough to wait (because of all these rumors about new imacs coming out) to get the dropped price and new chips. I just hope we get lots of updates on the matter
  • Reply 4 of 159
    Of course he wants AMD processors in Apple machines. But he obviously isn't close to anything regarding this deal. If he was, he would be Steve-silent as a chopped down log. He's angry because intel beat AMD to it, and showed off a great roadmap of processors that fit Apple's roadmap like a glove. In fact, now that I think of it... perhaps the future lineup from intel is co-planned by the two CEO's of intel and Apple from the start. Now this AMD guy just wants to make some fuzz.
  • Reply 5 of 159
    I think it'll happen in a couple of years. Apple won't vigorously deny it because the only way to keep Intel honest is to let them know that other good options exist. Intel knows, from what happened to IBM, that Apple can move in a different direction with nary a hint of their plans.
  • Reply 6 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Navy)Soul)

that would be of great appeal to non mac users, the introduction of amd chips would open up a whole new buisness opportunity to apple. I am doubtful of whether it will happen or not but it will be an interesting story to follow. It also makes me wonder on how intel would react to apple introducing those chips.

Sometimes though all these changes so quickly make me wonder if i shoulda waited to get my imac. I was fortunate enough to wait (because of all these rumors about new imacs coming out) to get the dropped price and new chips. I just hope we get lots of updates on the matter

Welcome to the boards and don't wait too long. The current iMacs are a phenomenal deal. I'm totally salivating over the 24" model. I have me very few people who dislike the iMac after using it. Speed and quietness are nice companions to the Mac OS.
  • Reply 7 of 159
    The headline is misleading. There's a big difference between "Apple to use AMD chips" and "Apple should use AMD chips."
  • Reply 8 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland

The headline is misleading. There's a big difference between "Apple to use AMD chips" and "Apple should use AMD chips."

Very good point - I was shocked to read the headline, but the story clarified it for me.
  • Reply 9 of 159
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    That was a silly thing for him to do unless he didn't really care if Apple wanted to deal with them and he was interested in getting some press.
  • Reply 10 of 159
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    The headline is incredibly misleading. He's essentially saying he can imagine apple knocking on their door evebtually, not that they have.

But the thing is apple probably can never use AMD chips because they offer to few cmputer models, it'd be too confusing to consumers. They only offer 5 computer models, 1 or 2 with AMD chips just wouldn't make any sense.
  • Reply 11 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison

I think it'll happen in a couple of years. Apple won't vigorously deny it because the only way to keep Intel honest is to let them know that other good options exist. Intel knows, from what happened to IBM, that Apple can move in a different direction with nary a hint of their plans.

Agree with Murch. It's a matter of time. When the dust settles on the Intel migration and AMD have an appealing product apple will make the move. However, given Intel's strong roadmap that may be a year or two down the road.
  • Reply 12 of 159
    ivkivk Posts: 46member
    AMD has some top-notch stuff; I can't wait to see what comes of their interrogated chipsets in future products. But when Apple was looking to make the switch AMD's roadmap didn't leak as bright as Intel's. Their mobile processors, server, desktop, a mobile chip in a Mac mini from AMD would have meant fans as well. Their Performance-Per-Watt was a little higher than Intel?s.
  • Reply 13 of 159
    2 letters my friends B.S.
  • Reply 14 of 159
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Never say never, folks.

There were many, many mac heads out there who NEVER could have imagined the shift away from ppc to IBM - let alone to Intel.

my 0.02c
  • Reply 15 of 159
    Oh, please no. iMac with AMD = nascarnate with x86 Intel PC.

Insead of upgrading chips every 2 months, why dont they update the machine its self. I want the G4 style iMac back! Death to the chin!
  • Reply 16 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking

But the thing is apple probably can never use AMD chips because they offer to few cmputer models, it'd be too confusing to consumers. They only offer 5 computer models, 1 or 2 with AMD chips just wouldn't make any sense.

I agree with this. Apple will probably never make people choose between different processor brands on the same computer, and won't expand their product offerings that much either. Perhaps they could use AMD in low end and Intel in the high or the reverse, but I doubt it.

Edit: 100 posts, yay!
  • Reply 17 of 159
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobM

Never say never, folks.

There were many, many mac heads out there who NEVER could have imagined the shift away from ppc to IBM - let alone to Intel.

my 0.02c

Fair enough (oh but one correction - IBM was *still* PPC). As for the rest, just as soon as AMD has something as powerful (in speed, power consummation AND price) Apple no doubt WILL at the very least investigate using AMD... BUT... looking into my patented 'Not too distant future crystal ball(tm)' I don't see anything even remotely exciting (as in faster OR cheaper) coming out from AMD.

On the other-hand, Apple would be crazy not to have investigated some form of agreement (even in simple terms) with AMD already.

Dave
  • Reply 18 of 159
    Hector Ruiz: APRIL FOO.....oh wait..
  • Reply 19 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison

Welcome to the boards and don't wait too long. The current iMacs are a phenomenal deal. I'm totally salivating over the 24" model. I have me very few people who dislike the iMac after using it. Speed and quietness are nice companions to the Mac OS.

well ive already purchased my 20''

* Processor 0656776 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

* Graphics Memory 0656798 256MB VRAM

* Memory 0656637 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM 2x1GB

* Hard Drive 0656528 250GB Serial ATA Drive

* Optical Drive 0656529 SuperDrive 8X (DVDRDL/CDRW)

* Modem 0656633 NO MODEM

* Apple Software Solutions 0656200 None

* MAC OS Language 0656524 KYBD/MSE/MAC OS KIT

* Country Kit and BT/AP 0656523 Country Kit

i wouldnt be to sad if they did offer an amd anytime soon though
  • Reply 20 of 159
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    "Fair enough (oh but one correction - IBM was *still* PPC)"

mea culpa, dave - apologies to all. Meant to write Moto.

And you're right, imo. They would be talking to AMD - have to be, mad not to.

ATI is important to Apple and now it's been gobbled by AMD I would think that there are frequent communications - I can also imagine in some dark and uber secret Lab z they test AMD chips, prolly the same Lab where they tested Intel.