Adobe previews Photoshop CS3, announces CS 2.3

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    Most people who use Illustrator that I know did not buy CS2, and I didn't buy it either. It's a dog of an upgrade. We're all waiting for CS3. Adobe is really looking bad now... I've even used "Expression3 X" occasionally for vector art... it ain't bad for natural looking brush strokes. Nice '50s styling.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

Fireworks is so much better than Photoshop.

Interesting, though unusual, viewpoint.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon

you will use a beta for pro work?

If you are on a tight deadline a crash wipeing out your work is the last thing that you want.

We wouldn't even use a new version for work until it was around for a couple of months on our machines, and checked out. And I beta test it!
  • Reply 24 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

Fireworks is so much better than Photoshop.

I think Fireworks has much room for improvement (or it's just me being unable to find the proper functions).

Take gradients as an example: When configuring it, you see the gradient with sliders above and underneath it, but there is a button that opens a popup with exactly the same controlls.

I could not find another way to make a vertical linear gradient but to rotate the canvas by 90 degress and apply the horizontal one. And I am unable to move the center of a radial gradient.

How mature is Illustrator's feature set?
  • Reply 25 of 39
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Screw photoshop, where is my illustrator with web-friendly functionality? Merge in some fireworks and I'm the happiest camper.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Illustrator handles gradients quite different, but very well I would say. Except for fading to transparency, which is a hassle.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon

you will use a beta for pro work?

If you are on a tight deadline a crash wipeing out your work is the last thing that you want.

Like the Current version of PS doesn't do that already!
  • Reply 28 of 39
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

Most people who use Illustrator that I know did not buy CS2, and I didn't buy it either. It's a dog of an upgrade. We're all waiting for CS3. Adobe is really looking bad now... I've even used "Expression3 X" occasionally for vector art... it ain't bad for natural looking brush strokes. Nice '50s styling.

I'm not an illustrator, so I don't quite know what to make of this.

However, it's new, built in Cocoa and available now.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    As for a Photoshop competitor, I don't know what this timing means for Greg's secret challenger.

If they could release something by MWSF - even if it's not full featured, they might pick up some marketshare.
  • Reply 30 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider

Like the Current version of PS doesn't do that already!

PS is one of the more reliable programs out there. But, saving your work is always required on a regular basic. Every time you complete some process, you should save.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777

I'm not an illustrator, so I don't quite know what to make of this.

However, it's new, built in Cocoa and available now.

I've heard mention of it, but have never seen it. For $79 bucks, it's worth a try. I'll think about it, and maybe get it tomorrow.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    Adobe is like a pregnant horse waiting to give birth to it's offspring. It just needs someone to give it an enema.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by details

Adobe is like a pregnant horse waiting to give birth to it's offspring. It just needs someone to give it an enema.

And, just how would that work?
  • Reply 34 of 39
    A very large elevated water tank with several thousand small houses dangling underneath?
  • Reply 35 of 39
    Breaking the water works better.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac

Breaking the water works better.

Yeah, that was the point.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    And, While I haven't gotten my beta from Adobe yet, I'm expecting it to arrive before the end of the year (this year, that is).

The release usually comes out between 4 and 6 months after I get my first beta.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

And, While I haven't gotten my beta from Adobe yet, I'm expecting it to arrive before the end of the year (this year, that is).

The release usually comes out between 4 and 6 months after I get my first beta.

Will you be able to tell us what you think of it or will you be restricted by a NDA?
  • Reply 39 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac

Will you be able to tell us what you think of it or will you be restricted by a NDA?

There are some things that can be said. But most others have to be kept under wraps.

The good thing about Adobe, is that unlike Apple, they give more info as time goes on. They gave away a number of features at the PS Expo. There are a few things that they always threaten us with death about.

But, they listen to their beta testers when it comes to features and usability. That's because most of the testers are pro's in the field, and that's their market.