Apple updates, drops price of U2 iPod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple Computer this week quietly refreshed its special edition U2 iPod, bringing it up to spec with the recently updated line of fifth-generation iPod digital music players.

Although the change is not immediately apparent from the company's U2 iPod product page, an update on the Apple online store describes the new model with "its new, brighter 320 x 240-pixel QVGA color display."

"You can view your photos and album art, plus movies, music videos, TV shows, and games you purchase from the iTunes Store," the description adds.

Like the recently refreshed line of fifth-generation iPods, the new U2 model promises up to 14 hours of music or 3-1/2 hours of video between charges. It ships with Apple's redesigned Earbud headphones, a USB 2.0 cable, universal dock adapter, a case and a coupon for a video download from the iTunes store.

The 30GB player comes clad in a jet black enclosure that features a prominent red Click-Wheel. On the flip side are autographs of each U2 band member engraved in black metal.

With its release, Apple has reduced the cost of the player by $50, bringing it down to $279. Still, the company charges a $30 premium for the special edition enclosure; the player is otherwise identical to the new $249 30GB iPod.

Both models include enough storage space for 7,500 songs, 25,000 photos and up to 40 hours of video.

Apple last updated the U2 iPod in June when it brought the model inline with fifth-generation iPods introduced prior to last year's holiday shopping season.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 2 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcharna

first first post!

anyway, this is getting way too stale, wouldnt you all think? It'd be SWEET to see like this w/ 100 different bands. That would be tight

Yea I am wondering how many of these things they are still selling. I guess whoever bought the original will update.
  • Reply 3 of 57
    Did anyone else notice that the image on the bottom left iPod is flipped horizontally?

Edit: Actually, in looking at it closer, the whole thing is flipped.
  • Reply 4 of 57
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Their store and their site doesn't seem to have any links to or mention of the U2 version. The only links I found was the one in the article and searching for "U2" in the web store.
  • Reply 5 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BrianMojo

Did anyone else notice that the image on the bottom left iPod is flipped horizontally?

And so it is! Huh!

Good eyes.
  • Reply 6 of 57
    Quote:

anyway, this is getting way too stale, wouldnt you all think? It'd be SWEET to see like this w/ 100 different bands. That would be tight

I agree. U2 has made some masterpiece albums... but not in the last decade. I would buy a Radiohead iPod in a heartbeat -- never gonna happen, though; too corporate for them!
  • Reply 7 of 57
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

first first post!

Seriously... U2 again? Come on! No kidding switch it up a bit... but then I'm afraid apple might go the brittney spears or some crap like that route. Why not just do away with the whole band thing and keep the colors. Know what I think would be cool is a click wheel that lit up different colors.
  • Reply 8 of 57
    that flipped ipod is the most interesting thing in this article.
  • Reply 9 of 57
    for some reason i am irritated that this product exists
  • Reply 10 of 57
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    If it were a high end model as well, that is, has the bigger battery, and HD, I might buy it. I think it is striking.
  • Reply 11 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryanx27

I agree. U2 has made some masterpiece albums... but not in the last decade. I would buy a Radiohead iPod in a heartbeat -- never gonna happen, though; too corporate for them!

Actually, in my (and many other fans') opinion, Pop and the soundtrack to Wim Wenders's The Million Dollar Hotel (signed by U2 in various forms, although with a few different names) are both stunning albums, both published within the last decade (1997 and 2000, respectively). After that, I have to admit, there have been a few misses and fewer hits, but I guess that's expectable after (more than) 20 years of activity and incessant world roaming.
  • Reply 12 of 57
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Actually the U2 iPod was updated the same day the new iPods were announced. I was going to mention the changes last week but I figured someone else would notice. I guess not.
  • Reply 13 of 57
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thmst30

Yea I am wondering how many of these things they are still selling. I guess whoever bought the original will update.

You mean the original U2 ipod or the first U2 video model because if you mean the latter I doubt it.
  • Reply 14 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antiorario

Actually, in my (and many other fans') opinion, Pop and the soundtrack to Wim Wenders's The Million Dollar Hotel (signed by U2 in various forms, although with a few different names) are both stunning albums, both published within the last decade (1997 and 2000, respectively). After that, I have to admit, there have been a few misses and fewer hits, but I guess that's expectable after (more than) 20 years of activity and incessant world roaming.

"All that you can't leave behind", released in 2000, is considered by many one of their best albums.

Beautiful Day

Kite

Elevation

Stuck in a Moment

Wild Honey

Peace on Earth

Walk on

Those are some of the great songs I can think of off the top of my head on this album.
  • Reply 15 of 57
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking

You mean the original U2 ipod or the first U2 video model because if you mean the latter I doubt it.

I still have an original B&W screen U2 that I bought in Nov '04. I bought a nano to lighten up, the standard iPods are less compfortable, IMO. The U2 is a backup player when I can't find the nano. I have not bought another U2 unit, though I was tempted with the U2 with video.
  • Reply 16 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cactus

for some reason i am irritated that this product exists

i like u2 alright, but i feel the same way.

you could make a case about having many other special edition ipods, for artists with great resumes, yet we're stuck with the u2 version.

where's the pink madonna ipod video? i want my red hot chili peppers ipod video. red of course.
  • Reply 17 of 57
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

I still have an original B&W screen U2 that I bought in Nov '04. I bought a nano to lighten up, the standard iPods are less compfortable, IMO. The U2 is a backup player when I can't find the nano. I have not bought another U2 unit, though I was tempted with the U2 with video.

Maybe I under estimated the pwer of the U2 ipod...
  • Reply 18 of 57
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BrianMojo

well that is a completely new design!
  • Reply 19 of 57
    I think that the last four U2 albums have all been good but not great like Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby. At least the band's music has actually advanced (for better or for worse) after every decade.
  • Reply 20 of 57
    i guess the U2 version iPod means something:

1) a key member of U2 is a closed friend of Jobs

2) U2 was the band featured in iPod first ad.

so U2 is historically connected to iPod.

say, i like Radiohead more...but i don't hope to see a Radiohead iPod or similar.

by the way, i've got a video U2 iPod myself and it really looks cooler than the original.