Apple to update MacBook lines in time for holidays

Comments

• Reply 121 of 199
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kasper

Yes, thanks -- is this not clear to everyone? They'll be out BY Thanksgiving, which doesn't mean "ON Thanksgiving." It means any day between now and then. I tried to make that as clear as possible without building expectations too high. I'm not even sure if Apple knows its exact plans for both models at the moment. Apple plans change all the time and are contingent on many subtle factors. The point of report is this -- MacBook and MacBook Pro will both get Core 2 Duo this year.

Best news I've heard in a while. I've been waiting to get a MB, but unsure whether it was going to be upgraded to Core 2 Duo. Looks like the laptops are going to get a major boost with Leopard and Core 2 Duo around the same time. w00t! 8)
  • Reply 122 of 199
    my blackbook also "shipped" yesterday even though it doesnt appear to have left china in over a day according to my fedex report:-/
  • Reply 123 of 199
    I was originally wondering if delays in macbooks is dependent on the fact that they might upgrade it soon or just because of the fact that they have been having various problems like shut down issues. Looks like it was because of the problems they were having. Looks like they have fixed the issues so they are ready to ship them again.

I hope macbook pro get upgraded on 25th, i really want one and i hate to buy one now when I know it will get upgraded soon...thanksgiving seems so far away...
  • Reply 124 of 199
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfmorrison

More bickering over minor (if somewhat unfortunate) choices in terminology...

PLONK!

Bah.
  • Reply 125 of 199
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    I was hoping they were holding MacBooks in order to clear inventory of MacBook Pros before announcing all new notebooks. Can't release your Merom MacBook w/o releasing your Merom MacBook Pro after all. I still maintain a glimmer of hope, but I'm making myself expect the 1.8 core duo I ordered.
  • Reply 126 of 199
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by miggs97

My friend ordered a MacBook before the 16th (Edu discount + iPod). Estimated shipping yesterday was the 26th, today it shows that it shipped. Specs on the website still state 2.0 ghz Core Duo... if they theoretically updated the chip would it say on the website? Or a surprise when she receives it?

im an apple n00b. but in my excitement for the 3 weeks ive been waiting for my macbook ive noticed a few thing. if you're getting uprgraded USUALLY they'll tell you before hand. sometimes- if its a day or two before an annoouncement they'll do it secretly, and it will only be because they are trying to exhaust old stock.

The fact that your friends shipped yesterday with an ESD of 26th. makes me(27th) very happy haha. i want my macbook. c2d or not!! haha
  • Reply 127 of 199
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    "im an apple n00b. but in my excitement for the 3 weeks ive been waiting for my macbook ive noticed a few thing. if you're getting uprgraded USUALLY they'll tell you before hand."

Hey, John - this is Apple you're dealing with !

They can tell you beforehand, not at all or afterward.

No other company in the world gets away with this - but THEY CAN and do ....

All Apple guarantee is that the machine you ordered meets at least, the minimum specs they advertised when you placed your order.
  • Reply 128 of 199
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RobM

All Apple guarantee is that the machine you ordered meets at least, the minimum specs they advertised when you placed your order.

And what more can we ask for than that? "Your laptop will be what you ordered most certainly, except in some cases, where, hey, you get something a bit better!" - How many companies do THAT?
  • Reply 129 of 199
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

And what more can we ask for than that? "Your laptop will be what you ordered most certainly, except in some cases, where, hey, you get something a bit better!" - How many companies do THAT?

yeah - I wrote that and then thought someone will take that negatively and I'll get toasted.

Anyways - my point was to welcome John to the never ending game of Apple speculation

and maybe just maybe - if you time it right, you can get a surprise.

Either an upgrade you weren't expecting or an upgrade the week after you bought ....
  • Reply 130 of 199
    what a great way to start my apple experience. haha.i just got off the phone with apple. althought the website says it hasnt been shipped yet, its left shanghai and will arive in australia early next week for next day delivery to me. so unless im extremely lucky. looks like i miss out ohwell. im sure it will rule anyway haha.
  • Reply 131 of 199
    Dude - you're going to enjoy your mb.

You won't miss out in any way.

A tweak on speed, yeah maybe in a month, maybe two - but for average use <shrug> no way are you missing out.
  • Reply 132 of 199
    Totally, John, enjoy your MacBookPro. It *will* kick ass from Day One even if the day after you get it they announce an all-new Titanium-Burnt-Black Dual-Merom(QUAD) 2.6ghz 2GB 7200rpm 160GBHD ATI X1900 Mobility 20" 1600x1200 screen With 16xDL-DVDburning, and a whopping 6 HOURS real-life use....... Phew. Oh yeah..... That would be one sweet MacBookPro. To the MAX.

But um, yeah, you will enjoy your MacBookPro nonetheless.
  • Reply 133 of 199
    ive got a dillema. if i want. i can cancell my order and order again and reorder with a little modification like a hdd upgrade, this would give me a greater chance of getting a c2d system but it would mean i have to wait another two weeks. is it worth it? opinions....

mainly leopards 64 bit capabilities are what are tempting me to opt for c2d
  • Reply 134 of 199
    If you cancel, is there any fee? If you decide to cancel, you might as well wait until the 25th Sep announcement is out before re-ordering.

If you are feeling uncomfortable, can you wait until the end of the year before getting your MacBookPro?
  • Reply 135 of 199
    Quote:

Totally, John, enjoy your MacBookPro. It *will* kick ass from Day One even if the day after you get it they announce an all-new Titanium-Burnt-Black Dual-Merom(QUAD) 2.6ghz 2GB 7200rpm 160GBHD ATI X1900 Mobility 20" 1600x1200 screen With 16xDL-DVDburning, and a whopping 6 HOURS real-life use....... Phew. Oh yeah..... That would be one sweet MacBookPro. To the MAX.

Except it's not widescreen.
  • Reply 136 of 199
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

You are gonna have to give it 8GB of RAM to make it useful.
  • Reply 137 of 199
    By the powers invested in me, I declare Tuesday, September 25th a national holiday. It is now 'Get a Mac Day'. Thus, Apple must bring out the new MBP's "in time for the holiday."

EDIT: "VESTED" in me...
  • Reply 138 of 199
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WhetWurm

By the powers invested in me...

Who invested and what is the rate of return?
  • Reply 139 of 199
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella

It better be high given that he's gone off on a limb making such an affirmative prediction.
  • Reply 140 of 199
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella

Father Steve invested a lot to grant me my political powers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

It better be high given that he's gone off on a limb making such an affirmative prediction.

I'm willing to sacrifice my (short) political career to make such a prediction; even in the face of lunacy.