What does Apple have against Europe?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Anyone living in Europe will be able to relate to this rant:

I hope they weren't pulling our leg when they said that movies are going "World-wide" in 2007. Let's hope that means TV shows, and bloody stores too. Cause quite frankly Apple needs to get their act together with this European stuff already!! I thought this was meant to be a global economy? It seems these days, and before these days too, that all Apple cares about market wise, is the UK and the US. I like both of those places myself, and I wish them look with Apple related stuff in the future. I think us Irish, and all other European countires needs a little more than look right now. To be realistic, and personally I can only speak for my country. Ireland needs at least "4" fully fledged FLAGSHIP Apple stores. One in Belfast, one in Dublin, one in Waterford (where I live, the fastest growing city in Ireland), and one in Cork, "HERE" as of right now with the current economic state of the country and the current populous. They need to start by putting an Apple store in Dublin this year, and roll out the other "3" stores in 2007. The whole situation with Apple and Europe seems at this stage to me to be a joke. It's actually hard to believe that a company on such a rise like Apple seems to be ignoring most European counties... It's a disgrace! And is inexcusable IMO. Get your bloody act together Apple. I'm not joking when I say, someone at Apple needs a good kick up the arse!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    Like any company, Apple is in the business of making a profit. If they are hesitant to ramp-up operations abroad, you can bet that it's because of barriers to entry rather than some sort of mysterious ill-will.

Europe has everything against Apple, and not hte other way around. The EU detests the idea of a global economy: if they didn't, they wouldn't be so protectionist. Apple is an American company with no industrial presence in the EU, not to mention that it's a much bigger pain in the ass to deal with getting legal clearance from a dozen legal systems than it is to deal with a single legal system.
  • Reply 2 of 53
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I bet it's cause of all the j00s at Apple. Yeah, that's it.
  • Reply 3 of 53
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

one in Waterford (where I live, the fastest growing city in Ireland)

Yeah and one right next to where I live too .

I honestly don't think that more Apple stores are necessary. I'd just like to see PC stores not treat Apple owners like pariahs. I want to be able to walk into a store and say, look I have a Mac and I need my machine fixed or product x without them sighing or saying 'I don't know anything about Macs but I don't think we support them'.

In the UK, certified Apple people are in stores like John Lewis and PC World but that's what we need more of. Designing flagship stores takes too long and is unnecessary when the resources are already there. Just put one or two Apple certified engineers in local PC shops and advertise their Mac compatibility.
  • Reply 4 of 53
    Ireland, every company hates us. Not just Apple.

Just look at Sony,

whose console I was very much looking foward to.

What do we get ? We get bitten on the arse, and a delay to go with that.

Sigh
  • Reply 5 of 53
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Apple have always sucked internationally. Way less marketing & general effort is put in. They seem to make no effort to really understand non-U.S. markets (witness how appallingly badly Apple are doing in Japan at the moment), and it boggles my mind as to why this is the case. Apple could do so much better, it isn't even funny.
  • Reply 6 of 53
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

Apple have always sucked internationally. Way less marketing & general effort is put in. They seem to make no effort to really understand non-U.S. markets (witness how appallingly badly Apple are doing in Japan at the moment), and it boggles my mind as to why this is the case. Apple could do so much better, it isn't even funny.

Hallelujah! Someone who gets me!!
  • Reply 6 of 53
    I hate when that happens! (posted the same thing twice, not saying that it didn't need to be said twice though)
  • Reply 8 of 53
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    If you guys had had the sense to stay part of England there'd be no problem.
  • Reply 9 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

Placebo, I'm not Irish, but living in the UK I know that there will be many people needlessly offeneded by that comment, one way or another. Could you edit it out?

David
  • Reply 10 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMacfan

Placebo, I'm not Irish, but living in the UK I know that there will be many people needlessly offeneded by that comment, one way or another. Could you edit it out?

David

I think it was just a joke. Maybe we need to split the thread here and now so we can talk about free speech and where to draw the lines about what is acceptable and what is not?

If you live your life trying to not offend anybody, ever, you won't get far.

And Placebo, It's the U.K. that The Republic of Ireland left, not England.
  • Reply 11 of 53
    Look at how many stores they have here in Canada, and we're their next-door neighbor!
  • Reply 12 of 53
    Quote:

If this isn't a joke (and it's hard to tell), this has to be the dumbest post I've ever read. Not only is it factually incorrect, but it's moronic to the nth degree. I had a good case against the self-defeating policies of the EU, but now I'm stuck trying to shrug off this kind of naivete.
  • Reply 13 of 53
    Quote:

What? You must be thinking about Northern Ireland, and still at that it doesn't make much sense.
  • Reply 14 of 53
    Quote:

What? You must be thinking about Northern Ireland, and still at that it doesn't make much sense.

No. Northern Ireland has not left the U.K., so he shouldn't mean that. Ireland on the other hand, was part of the U.K. up until 1922. So his statement (hopefully joke, and not a particularly funny one at that) could be expanded and corrected to read "if you guys had had the sense in 1922 to stay part of the U.K., you wouldn't be having this problem now".
  • Reply 15 of 53
    Quote:

No. Northern Ireland has not left the U.K., so he shouldn't mean that. Ireland on the other hand, was part of the U.K. up until 1922. So his statement (hopefully joke, and not a particularly funny one at that) could be expanded and corrected to read "if you guys had had the sense in 1922 to stay part of the U.K., you wouldn't be having this problem now".

Actually it was 1916, but I know what you mean. I don't think it was a joke though, it was meant to be sarcastic, but not a joke. He meant it to make sense, I think.
  • Reply 16 of 53
    Quote:

Actually it was 1916

Was it? I was getting my information from this wikipedia article , which states that indepence was declared in 1919 and recognised in 1922. Clicking around, it would seem that whilst the initial "decleration" was made in 1916, that was just about equivalent to me getting a few mates 'round and declaring Bristol independant from the U.K.

Ireland had not "officially" left the U.K. until 1922, but one could easily argue that the date they actually left was 21st Jan. 1919. Indeed, the 1919 date would be the pertinent one for Placebo's statement, as that is when the decision was officially made.
  • Reply 17 of 53
    Quote:

Was it? I was getting my information from this wikipedia article , which states that indepence was declared in 1919 and recognised in 1922. Clicking around, it would seem that whilst the initial "decleration" was made in 1916, that was just about equivalent to me getting a few mates 'round and declaring Bristol independant from the U.K.

Ireland had not "officially" left the U.K. until 1922, but one could easily argue that the date they actually left was 21st Jan. 1919. Indeed, the 1919 date would be the pertinent one for Placebo's statement, as that is when the decision was officially made.

Who cares! The point is that Apple still didn't leave America properly
  • Reply 18 of 53
    Quote:

Who cares! The point is that Apple still didn't leave America properly

Well, yeah. Sorry for derailing the thread. It would be nice if more people would come and join in and discuss why they think Apple doesn't bother with the rest of the world.

What about the emerging markets of China and India? They get treated even worse than Europe. What about Apple spending some of their cash on substantial amounts of marketing outside the U.S.?
  • Reply 19 of 53
    Quote:

Well, yeah. Sorry for derailing the thread. It would be nice if more people would come and join in and discuss why they think Apple doesn't bother with the rest of the world.

What about the emerging markets of China and India? They get treated even worse than Europe. What about Apple spending some of their cash on substantial amounts of marketing outside the U.S.?

Exactly, and what about more TV advertising? The Mac ads don't happen here, and iPod ads aren't on a lot, with NO billboard iPod ads in Ireland anyway.
  • Reply 20 of 53
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I didn't know people would get this touchy over feigned American ignorance.