Nano size compared to express card - is apple messing with us?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I was at the Apple store and I put the new nano next to the express card slot on a MacBook Pro. It is ridiculously close to fitting.

I don't get it. The express card slot has a USB bus. If simply for convenience sake it would be nice to stoe the nano in there when not in use, but beyond that the idea of having a home folder on it is really cool.

It's like they WANT it not to fit.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    I'm not sure what you mean by "store in there", since the slot is nowhere deep enough for that. You'd have a huge bulge sticking out, which isn't exactly practical.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    But then you'd have to have a ExpressCard/34 connector on the Nano rather than the standard dock connector - so who'd want that?

- No radio remote

- No Nike+

Now if the IR remote fitted the slot - that's something I could understand.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Even so, the MacBook Pro is the only(!) Mac with an ExpressCard slot. What about the Mac mini, iMac and MacBook? Those all ship with an IR remote; should they ship with a different version?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

I'm not sure what you mean by "store in there", since the slot is nowhere deep enough for that. You'd have a huge bulge sticking out, which isn't exactly practical.

It would "bulge out" 14 mm, not exactly huge as a lot of pmcia cards that add connectors stick out farther.

Regarding the different connector, doesn't the new nano require a different docking station and accessories anyway? Even if it doesn't so what? You use an adapter.

As for being on the pro model only, that's where it would really appeal. The prosumers would want the convenience of an automatic backup for their "pro" data.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    If anything the remote should be stored in there.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    One could throw a little adapter on the Nano, so it'd stick out...20mm or something. A convenient grab handle.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I don't think prosumers "back" up their data onto a portable music player... and only one model has an expresscard slot. I really don't see where you're going with this. The nano is small enough to fit in a toaster, too, but I don't think iPod Pop Tarts are going to sell like hot cakes.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Now if the IR remote fitted the slot - that's something I could understand.

mmmm yes ....
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

I don't think prosumers "back" up their data onto a portable music player... and only one model has an expresscard slot. I really don't see where you're going with this. The nano is small enough to fit in a toaster, too, but I don't think iPod Pop Tarts are going to sell like hot cakes.

It's not where I'm going with this, its where the technology is going. Flash drives are getting bigger and bigger and the ipods are already becoming more than just music players.

I'd consider myself a prosumer in that I use my computer for every aspect of my work. I back up religiously, but even one day's worth of lost data is a nightmare. If a nano was sitting in my express card slot, constantly backing up my most recently modified documents, charging, and syncing my music, without being slammed around as it dangled by a USB cable, I would be greatly put at ease.

If only to spare the cable it would make sense.