Nike offers Nike+iPod update, new products and features coming

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Has anyone tried using the transmitter/reciever with a regular iPod instead of the nano? I mean it's the same dock connector, why's Apple force people to only use it with the Nano?

I know the nano is better for running because it's skip free, but still, people used regular iPods for years for running before there WAS an iPod Nano, and I'm sure some still do..
  • Reply 22 of 31
    If Apple condoned its use with hard drive based players, they will appear negligent as the failure rate will undoubtedly go up.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

Reading comprehension! 8,000 joggers have registered their running. Not 450,000. It's very possible that long distance runners haven't bought this, or haven't registered.

The verdict seems to disagree with your accessment in general, with most people commenting, finding it to be pretty accurate, though not perfect.

For the price, it wouldn't be. I have had a number of pedometers over the years, and most have been well off.

CU did a report on some recently, and also found most to be off.

Not to be argumentative, but as you first scolded me for my poor reading comprehension, let me point out that the "8,000 runners" referred to in the announcement were for the preceding day, not for the period from inception to date.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 5150

Not to be argumentative, but as you first scolded me for my poor reading comprehension, let me point out that the "8,000 runners" referred to in the announcement were for the preceding day, not for the period from inception to date.

Yes, that's true. My bad.

But the rest of my statement holds true. It's not likely that many are registering their runs at all.

Also, chances are that many people buyinh this are buying it for the reasons why people buy any device like this: because it's unique, not because they plan on using it for any serious reason.

But, it really doesn't matter. Most of the sports shoes sold, are sold to people who just walk in them.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    How about the fact that not all 450k people have had it for the full 100 days. Since we do not know the distribution of when the divices were bought, you really cannot make any determination of whether people are logging or not. What I can tell you is that about a month ago I was running almost every day and the # of runs logged per day was approximately 4-5k. Now it has ballooned to 8k per day. You guys can do the math...

Mel - it is possible that people are not logging their runs, but if you log once then iTunes automatically logs your new runs every time you sync your iPod. I figure most poeple would at least check out the NikePlus site and thus have all of their runs uploaded.

Quote:

Yes, that's true. My bad.

But the rest of my statement holds true. It's not likely that many are registering their runs at all.

Also, chances are that many people buyinh this are buying it for the reasons why people buy any device like this: because it's unique, not because they plan on using it for any serious reason.

But, it really doesn't matter. Most of the sports shoes sold, are sold to people who just walk in them.

• Reply 26 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoboomafoo

the garmin thing isn't all that, either. i mean, it's PC only (as far as i know) and the whole GPS solution is a pain. How many times have i gone outside to run only to sit there wondering when i'll find a satellite. and i'm in a suburban university setting, not a major city. i can only imagine how well they work in NYC.

But yeah, fundamentally this is an exercise accessory. This wouldn't be the first exercise device whose most common actual use is "collect dust," nor will it be the last.

From what i've heard, it's not perfect, so improvements are always good. but has the best solution been found? i'm not so sure garmin has found it either.

Here's a completely off the wall idea (and I have no inkling whether or not it would be feasible). What about using cell-towers for positioning instead of GPS, at least in urban environments? Would it be possible to "ping" cell towers to calculate your position? Perhaps the "ping" would triangulate you and provide a slightly more accurate estimate of speed and position than Nike+ or GPS alone. Just a wild thought, roaming through my mental forestry.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebolagp

How about the fact that not all 450k people have had it for the full 100 days. Since we do not know the distribution of when the divices were bought, you really cannot make any determination of whether people are logging or not. What I can tell you is that about a month ago I was running almost every day and the # of runs logged per day was approximately 4-5k. Now it has ballooned to 8k per day. You guys can do the math...

Mel - it is possible that people are not logging their runs, but if you log once then iTunes automatically logs your new runs every time you sync your iPod. I figure most poeple would at least check out the NikePlus site and thus have all of their runs uploaded.

I can't figure much out with what people choose to do with something like this.

Most people never even fill out warranty cards, even if that will give them an extended warranty.

I'll be willing to assume that many never visited the site at all.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

Here's a completely off the wall idea (and I have no inkling whether or not it would be feasible). What about using cell-towers for positioning instead of GPS, at least in urban environments? Would it be possible to "ping" cell towers to calculate your position? Perhaps the "ping" would triangulate you and provide a slightly more accurate estimate of speed and position than Nike+ or GPS alone. Just a wild thought, roaming through my mental forestry.

GPS is *far* more accurate. It is also automatic. With cell phone towers, location is slow, and not accurate at all.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    Quote:

GPS is *far* more accurate. It is also automatic. With cell phone towers, location is slow, and not accurate at all.

Speed may be an issue but I wonder how the police can track down the precise location of a mobile then or are they having us on?
  • Reply 30 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spyinthesky

Speed may be an issue but I wonder how the police can track down the precise location of a mobile then or are they having us on?

It just takes a bit of time.

But, people look at Tv shows and believe that perfection is possible, when it's not.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    Quote:

It just takes a bit of time.

But, people look at Tv shows and believe that perfection is possible, when it's not.

Actually, with my very rudimentary knowledge of triangulation, I just thought it would be a slim possibility... and therefore ideal party conversation.