Photoshop on Mac Vs Windows

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am helping my Mo-in-Law get a new iMac.

She used Photshop Elements regularly.

How different will the program be compared to the WIndows version? Is the interface the same or is it totally different?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    my Fa-in-Law uses PSE on a PC, as far as I remember, it looks a little different (just design), and the key-nomenclatura is a little different (no strg, therefor apple...), but the main functions are identical...

make sure, she gets a 2/3-button/scrollwheel mouse..
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k_munic

my Fa-in-Law uses PSE on a PC, as far as I remember, it looks a little different (just design), and the key-nomenclatura is a little different (no strg, therefor apple...), but the main functions are identical...

make sure, she gets a 2/3-button/scrollwheel mouse..

because, after all, Photoshop makes use of those 3 buttons and that scrollwheel
  • Reply 3 of 13
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat

because, after all, Photoshop makes use of those 3 buttons and that scrollwheel

Maybe not the middle mouse but definitely right-click and the wheel. I use the wheel for zooming.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

Maybe not the middle mouse but definitely right-click and the wheel. I use the wheel for zooming.

Yeah, but the wheel only works some of the time. It's completely broken. Also, I've never actually right clicked anything in Photoshop. There's so many random menus everywhere there's no point :P

But yeah, having anything other than a 1-button mouse is totally unnecessary (even though said new Mac will probably come with a Mighty Mouse anyway).
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:

But yeah, having anything other than a 1-button mouse is totally unnecessary (even though said new Mac will probably come with a Mighty Mouse anyway).

This is not really on topic, but I thought I should mention it here... I've used Windows for many years, and have had my iMac G5 for a couple years with a single button mouse. It is so refreshing to have multiple buttons and a scroll wheel on the MightyMouse wireless I got with my MacPro... I just love the size, and how it feels in my hand. I know there is some polarized opinions along the lines of one vs. multiple button mice. But, IMHO, providing this support out of the box would definately lessen the headaches for those moving from Windows to the Mac environment.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mehdi

This is not really on topic, but I thought I should mention it here... I've used Windows for many years, and have had my iMac G5 for a couple years with a single button mouse. It is so refreshing to have multiple buttons and a scroll wheel on the MightyMouse wireless I got with my MacPro... I just love the size, and how it feels in my hand. I know there is some polarized opinions along the lines of one vs. multiple button mice. But, IMHO, providing this support out of the box would definately lessen the headaches for those moving from Windows to the Mac environment.

The MIghty Mouse is actually a bit smaller than the one button mouse :P

I used to use Maya, so I'm actually used to an old 3 button mouse. I just get annoyed when people say that a multi-button mouse is necessary, especially for an app that has incredibly broken support for it.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by varian72

I am helping my Mo-in-Law get a new iMac.

She used Photshop Elements regularly.

How different will the program be compared to the WIndows version? Is the interface the same or is it totally different?

Thanks

Bear in mind, that without an intel native version of PSE, she might turn into a mac hater real quick... Rosetta kills PS CS2. Consider getting her boot camp installed in the meantime.

-t
  • Reply 8 of 13
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:

having anything other than a 1-button mouse is totally unnecessary.

In some ways I can understand that but it's like me saying that keyboards with a numpad are competely unnecessary when you can get the job done with a laptop keyboard. All you have to do is press some extra keys. However, that's where the problem lies. Some people don't want to press extra keys and in fact, some programs run out of key sequences because they have so many options and that's where the multi-button mouse requirements step in.

Ideally, I'd quite like a single input device like an ipod click wheel that let me control everything (keys would appear on a virtual keyboard and could be selected on screen) but I just know that will probably never happen because it's just faster having all the keys at hand.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tag Me back

Bear in mind, that without an intel native version of PSE, she might turn into a mac hater real quick... Rosetta kills PS CS2. Consider getting her boot camp installed in the meantime.

I agree. Rosetta is an impressive achievement but it has its share of problems. People I work beside use Illustrator professionally and it sucks Ram like nothing else. I'm not sure if it's leaking memory or what. It will hang up sometimes too. Overall, it's workable but CS3 really needed to come out months ago. They better not jack up the price unreasonably either. If I were Adobe, I'd have aimed for a Christmas release.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

I've never understood this attitude. Why would you want to use two hands (one to hold CTRL, one to click the mouse) when you can simply use one hand to click the right mouse button? I thought Macs are supposed to be easier to use?
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stonefree

I've never understood this attitude. Why would you want to use two hands (one to hold CTRL, one to click the mouse) when you can simply use one hand to click the right mouse button? I thought Macs are supposed to be easier to use?

99% of apps on Macs don't require right-clicks ever.

They're much easier to use because the functionality is easily accessible, rather than hidden in some stupid popup by lazy programmers.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

99% of apps on Macs don't require right-clicks ever.

They're much easier to use because the functionality is easily accessible, rather than hidden in some stupid popup by lazy programmers.

All well and good except for the one percent of apps people use. like photoshop. or mac os. contextual menus are nice.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    The reason behind the one-button mouse was that studies show that the hesitation in remembering which button to push slows people down.

Also, as mentioned above, having a lot of Macs in use with single button mice guarantees that third-party developers (except Maya) won't try and put commands ONLY in the contextual menu - that is even more of a slowdown, having to remember whether the command is in the CM or in the menu bar. All commands should always be in the menu bar unless they are system-wide utility commands like Zoom In.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Adobe Apps run better and are more usable on the mac than they are on windows. For that matter, any program that makes use of multiple windows just chokes terribly within the constraits of the Windows UI.