My Poor iMac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am writing this post because I feel bad.

My iMac (2 GHz G5 20-inch 1 GB Ram if that matters) is always on. It never goes to sleep. Although I only use it for about 3 hours everyday, I have it set to never sleep. The reason for this is, I don't want my AIM to sign off, which it does if I let it sleep (I think).

Anyways, it is in a small room, and the room is noticeably hotter than the rest of the house, because the computer is always on.

My questions are, how does this affect the life of the computer, and what can I do about letting it sleep, while still having AIM connected. How do you guys feel about computers sleeping vs. not ever sleeping.

It's been like this for about two years....and I am starting to feel sorry for the computer.

One more thing, I tried to let it sleep (to see if AIM would sign off), and about 5 seconds after it did sleep, it came back on, and I didn't move the mouse.....why is this?

Thanks allot!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    hahaha, your killing your computer!
  • Reply 2 of 9
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bradg

I am writing this post because I feel bad.

My iMac (2 GHz G5 20-inch 1 GB Ram if that matters) is always on. It never goes to sleep. Although I only use it for about 3 hours everyday, I have it set to never sleep. The reason for this is, I don't want my AIM to sign off, which it does if I let it sleep (I think).

Anyways, it is in a small room, and the room is noticeably hotter than the rest of the house, because the computer is always on.

My questions are, how does this affect the life of the computer, and what can I do about letting it sleep, while still having AIM connected. How do you guys feel about computers sleeping vs. not ever sleeping.

It's been like this for about two years....and I am starting to feel sorry for the computer.

One more thing, I tried to let it sleep (to see if AIM would sign off), and about 5 seconds after it did sleep, it came back on, and I didn't move the mouse.....why is this?

Thanks allot!

Call Spock, he'll make it sleep with a simple gesture.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    At home I have all my computers running non stop, I never shut them down. Unless I have to do some upgrades or something

And at work we have several linux/bsd servers with regluar pc-hardware. They have been on for about 2 years now .. not a problem
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Your iMac is what we call a 'Goner'.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bradg

Thanks allot!

sometimes USB devices can prevent a mac from sleeping... obviously not the keyboard and mouse, but like an external drive or the like... check apple support forums for these kinds of issues, often they are documented there.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    I suppose the bigger question is: why do you need AIM on all the time?

The other thing: I didn't know iMac G5's had been around for two years. Am I retarded?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Thanks guys....

I like for AIM to be on all the time because everybody knows my scren name, and I use that to communicate more then email.

I was probably wrong on the two years, it's just some number I pulled out of my ass. I've only has the computer since September 05 I think, I was just using 2 ears as an exateration.

Anyways, so it is bad for the computer? I really have no idea if it is or not. Some people post it is a goner, and some say it's fine.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I really don't think you'd have a problem, as long as you let the hard drves sleep. Not letting the hard drives sleep will shorten their life span, and it's a pain to replace an iMacs hard drive. OTOH, I know a lot of people who use the Mac Mini as a server, and they've never had a problem.

Dont sweat it.

Noah