Disney chief talks up Apple's iTV media hub

Comments

• Reply 121 of 211
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella

It just occurred to me, what if the USB port is for attaching an optional Blu-ray or HD-DVD drive.

or for attaching a usb tv tuner/decoder like the new one from elgto...
  • Reply 122 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sjk

So far the reasons for Apple not becoming a PVR provider seem more convincing to me than the reasons why they would.

A lot of people seem to be ignoring that a PVR is more than just the hardware. It's a safe bet that typical customers expect reasonably reliable program guides. Based on feedback I've heard from EyeTV customers that's not necessarily as trivial as it may seem or even impossible depending on your location. Even without being well informed on the topic I know there are technical, economic, and political issues relating to program guides. I'm not saying any are insurmountable, just doubting that Apple wants to get involved in that business, at least not while the iTunes Store is their digital media showcase and there are already third parties (like Elgato) capable of doing it or trying to.

Exactly. Let someone else mess with the PVR duties while Apple sells the shows.
  • Reply 123 of 211
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aflaaak

Exactly. Let someone else mess with the PVR duties while Apple sells the shows.

It looks like your applauding Apple for taking advantage of you.
  • Reply 124 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker

It looks like your applauding Apple for taking advantage of you.

I don't think Apple is taking advantage of anyone just because they don't include a PVR in their computers. Sure, I wish they did and I know I can order one from Dell, but then your back to Microsoft. As far as sellin TV shows, I guess some people don't want to mess with setting up a PVR to record them and Apple is filling their need. The only shows I would pay for are ones I can't record myself. I'm not that lazy.
  • Reply 125 of 211
    I'm passing on the whole Apple iTV thing myself. I don't like how they tackled the whole thing at all. I think they have consciously chosen to side with "Big Business" and financial interests rather than what would best for their users. I think Apple just turned a corner in their strategy and basically sold out the user. By trying their hand at a whole new delivery system while having it excluding more free aspects for their users they have obviously stopped looking at our best interests, and turned into everything they used to stand against. IMO.

I'm actually looking at a ThinkPad from Lenovo now instead of a Mac product. I used to think it was all about the OS, but now I think it has a lot more to do with what product do I like, and who I am buying from. Or in this case who am I not buying from.
  • Reply 126 of 211
    Quote:

I'm passing on the whole Apple iTV thing myself. I don't like how they tackled the whole thing at all. I think they have consciously chosen to side with "Big Business" and financial interests rather than what would best for their users. I think Apple just turned a corner in their strategy and basically sold out the user. By trying their hand at a whole new delivery system while having it excluding more free aspects for their users they have obviously stopped looking at our best interests, and turned into everything they used to stand against. IMO.

I'm actually looking at a ThinkPad from Lenovo now instead of a Mac product. I used to think it was all about the OS, but now I think it has a lot more to do with what product do I like, and who I am buying from. Or in this case who am I not buying from.

Don't feel too disappointed in Apple. They are, after all, in the business to make money, and doing it in a way thats a little different than the folks over in Redmond. Hollywood studios are so afraid people are going to steal their content now (because people have been) that everything is going this way. Look at what Sony's CD copy protection did! The thing that would kill iTV and made me pissed at them is if Apple made it so you could only stream content you bought from them, not stuff you recorded for free say with an Elgato. Then I would definately rethink Jobs and Company.
  • Reply 127 of 211
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Apple, like every other company, like the Chinese government controlled Lenovo, does whatever they can. They certainly are not taking advantage of their customers by selling movies at a price that is as low as they possibly can, something that is not under their control.

There is no reason why Apple should sell a PVR. The ones on the Windows platform sold so badly when they came as part of the systems, that most manufacturers have removed them. Now most have to be cought seperately, and sales aren't too hot.

Most people don't seem to want them. So should Apple follow in the path of presenting something that others are rejecting?

This might change in the future. But since one can get an Elgato, and others, it really isn't too bad for those who want one.
  • Reply 128 of 211
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

I'm passing on the whole Apple iTV thing myself. I don't like how they tackled the whole thing at all. I think they have consciously chosen to side with "Big Business" and financial interests rather than what would best for their users.

Apple is siding against it customers because they will not develop a DVR? You are basing this all on the point that Apple is not going to make hardware that allows you to record television?

Apple does nothing to stop third party products from giving the Mac this very functionality. Can we grasp a little rationality here.
  • Reply 129 of 211
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Quote:

I know how you feel. I went down the same road, though in reverse, I guess.

I used to buy Macs because they were alternative, and I viewed Apple as a different kind of company. I wanted to support that. Sure the OS was great and the hardware was nice, but there were several times there in the 90s when it was a real pain in the neck to use Macs.

My moment of greatest disillusion came years ago when the free iTools became the for-pay .Mac. Man, I remember being furious. I even discouraged my brother from buying the iBook I had previously been talking up (he did end up buying it, but he did a bit more shopping around). Of course, then I had the quite obvious revelation that Apple was simply a company. A company whose products I found useful and enjoyed using--at least more than the alternatives.

To me, it is now all about my productivity and my lack of frustration. Right now, I'll stick with Apple. If something better comes along, and I can be more productive and less frustrated, I may switch. I'm no longer simply a "fan" of Apple's products. (And I know that if I were in the same mindset I was years ago, I would be using a G5 iMac right now instead of a 5-year-old G4 Quicksilver (so, ironically, their being tightwads led me to spend less money on their products).) But I think I'm a better consumer.

On the subject at hand, iTV is a non-issue for me as well. Not because of the lack of a DVR, but because I don't have one of those "big screens" and won't anytime soon. I'll be disappointed if iTV is the only media device Apple intros in the winter.
  • Reply 130 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCQ

Of course, then I had the quite obvious revelation that Apple was simply a company. A company whose products I found useful and enjoyed using--at least more than the alternatives.

Wow! You grew up!

That should happen more around here. Apple is not a cult. It's a company that produces products.

If one likes them, then buy them, if one doesn't, then don't.
  • Reply 131 of 211
    I think part of Apple's success is precisely that it is a cult for some people.
  • Reply 132 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

I put the same stock in Iger's comments about the iTV that Jobs said about the Segway (anyone remember these famous words?... "They'll design cities around them!")

"If enough people see the machine you won't have to convince them to architect cities around it. It'll just happen." -- Apple CEO Steve Jobs on the Segway
  • Reply 133 of 211
    Very true a great deal of Apple's success is because people grow an emotional bond. Steve Jobs does foster this with the way he markets the brand.

At the same time Apple cannot run its business only by the emotional whelms of its customers. They need to do what makes most the business sense and will make the most profit in the long term.
  • Reply 134 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

Wow! You grew up!

That should happen more around here. Apple is not a cult. It's a company that produces products.

George Lucas....er, Apple ruined my childhood!
  • Reply 135 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell

No the frame rate was the same. NTSC only has one frame rate. Your computer is not really ideal for judging video quality of NTSC.

NTSC is 720x480 pixels if you are watching that full screen on a computer monitor, you spread 720x480 pixels over 1280x1024 pixels (or even more) the image is going to be degraded.

I watch cable television on my computer. At full screen the picture is noticeably worse than on my television for this very reason. On top of that not all computer monitors are created equal some are crappier than others.

If the iTunes movies are being encoded from an HD source MPEG 4 is much more efficient at compressing video and maintaining good quality than the MPEG 2 DVD's are being encoded with.

I would go further. Pirates of the Caribbean is a big movie that had views of large ocean vistas. It was framed and composed and intended for the big screen. Because of this it is not very satisfactory to watch on television. Unless you have a large enough screen to watch it in its proper 2.40:1 aspect ratio.

The issue here is... he's probably the average user/buyer. If his experience sucked, then this whole iTV concept is premature. Hell, it's stillborn.
  • Reply 136 of 211
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

Wow! You grew up!

True. It's silly to think back about what I thought about Apple, especially considering I'm probably more aware than most people of the "electronic sweatshop" in Asia that underpins the whole economic base of America's [sic] technological prowess.

But that's what disillusionment is always like. As with any magician's trick, if you don't know how it's done, then it seems wonderful; once you see the trick, then it's impossible to ignore it.

Other things I've grown disillusioned with:

homeownership

Netflix

public Libraries

local government

state governments

American democracy

God

pets

Wikipedia

Linux

Pixar

the free market

regulated markets

school boards

cable TV (except adult swim)

broadcast TV

granola bars

the basic decency of humanity

the hope of a better world

anti-perspirant

...just off the top of my head...
  • Reply 137 of 211
    Quote:

The issue here is... he's probably the average user/buyer. If his experience sucked, then this whole iTV concept is premature. Hell, it's stillborn.

The fact that he's watching NTSC full screen on a computer monitor has nothing to do with the concept of iTV. iTV is for watching NTCS on your TV.

Quote:

Other things I've grown disillusioned with

That's funny. In college when I first became exposed to people around my age who were more cynical than I is when I lost my innocence of that magic of the world around me.
  • Reply 138 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

I think part of Apple's success is precisely that it is a cult for some people.

To a few perhaps, but not enough to make much of a difference. There are people who feel that way about MS and Linux as well.
  • Reply 139 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCQ

I'm probably more aware than most people of the "electronic sweatshop" in Asia that underpins the whole economic base of America's [sic] technological prowess.

The WORLD'S prowess. Also, most of what is done there is invented here. There's a big difference.

Chine is looking to see a big fall in the not too far away future. An interesting article in either the Times or the WSJ Monday (I forget which).
  • Reply 140 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

"If enough people see the machine you won't have to convince them to architect cities around it. It'll just happen." -- Apple CEO Steve Jobs on the Segway

He did use the words "if enough" but since they cost so much, no one has seen enough of them.