Mac Pro: what's in yours?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73

My stock MacPro 2.66 is a replacement under AppleCare for a G5 Dual 2.5 that was officially declared dead recently. The hard drive is a WDC WD2500JS-41SGO and the optical drive is a Sony DVD RW DW-150A. The memory was Micron as was the additional memory installed at the Apple Store. The second drive from the dead G5, a Hitachi 250GB Serial ATA HD, was also installed.

As a side note, the AppleCare I had on the G5 really paid off.

Wow that's great timing and is crazy lucky.

*Runs out to buy applecare on mbp*
  • Reply 22 of 34
    I've a 2.66 with X1900 XT and full wireless. Standard everything else. I'll be adding 2GB of ram soon from crucial, and probably another 250gb HD from seagate. are those SATA HDs?
  • Reply 23 of 34
    My Mac Pro 2.66GHz has the 1900XT, a Sony SuperDrive, a Pioneer Superdrive, 150GB Raptor boot drive, 500GB "Data" Drive, 2x300GB Raid 0 "Working" drive and 4GB of RAM. A fine Aperture rig among other things.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Anybody know where the cheapest Mac Pro-heatsinked RAM is at? Crucial is ridiculous, the prices jumped $100 for the gig kit.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Stock model + Bluetooth.

Not a bad machine, the smoothest transition yet.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

Anybody know where the cheapest Mac Pro-heatsinked RAM is at? Crucial is ridiculous, the prices jumped $100 for the gig kit.

The cheapest way to do it so far is to buy standard RAM from www.newegg.com (or something) and attach THESE heatsinks:

(MAX SINC)

Of course, this will void the RAM's warantee.

If you want to half-ass it, you could always go with the VGA heatsink solution. That's what I did and it's worked out pretty well.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Quote:

Yeah, that's probably the most undeserved setup ever.

Quite deserved: he paid for it.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    Quote:

http://www.maxupgrades.com/istore/in...Product_ID=157

$800 for 2x2GB, $400 for 2x1GB with the big heatsinks. Sounds like a deal to me, you dont have to mess with retrofitting to another dimm, doesnt void any warranties.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CheapFrag

http://www.maxupgrades.com/istore/in...Product_ID=157

$800 for 2x2GB, $400 for 2x1GB with the big heatsinks. Sounds like a deal to me, you dont have to mess with retrofitting to another dimm, doesnt void any warranties.

I'm looking for 2x512 kits. That might still be competitive with buying their heatsinks, but just the fact that it's upfrontly apparent that it's THIRTY BUCKS A HEATSINK is a turnoff.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Quote:

I'm looking for 2x512 kits. That might still be competitive with buying their heatsinks, but just the fact that it's upfrontly apparent that it's THIRTY BUCKS A HEATSINK is a turnoff.

pay for quality or go ahead and glue some random vga sinks onto a generic chip I guess... someone on this forum did that. seems like an affront to the beautifully engineered mac pro, but thats only my opinion. i hack my pc's like monsters but the mac is a shrine . but regarding macsinks, until they move volume (or get competition with a heatsink of equal quality) it wont be dirt cheap. plus 30$ a heatsink isnt much if you are buying 1GB or 2GB sticks. it certainly stands out more when you are talking about 512's as in your situation though.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CheapFrag

pay for quality or go ahead and glue some random vga sinks onto a generic chip I guess... someone on this forum did that. seems like an affront to the beautifully engineered mac pro, but thats only my opinion. i hack my pc's like monsters but the mac is a shrine . but regarding macsinks, until they move volume (or get competition with a heatsink of equal quality) it wont be dirt cheap. plus 30$ a heatsink isnt much if you are buying 1GB or 2GB sticks. it certainly stands out more when you are talking about 512's as in your situation though.

yeah, that was me.

By all means, keep your shrine holy with kool-aid-drinker-recommended "Mac Pro Spec" memory. It doesn't make any difference, but at least you can take comfort in the fact that the inside of your computer is prettier than mine, even if my wallet is fatter.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    Quote:

He doesn't deserve to have the money to pay for it considering the worthless bile of rhetoric he spouts.

You're right. Rush's pro-mac rhetoric must stop. The highest-rated radio show of all time must not be rittled with pro-Apple propaganda.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slughead

yeah, that was me.

By all means, keep your shrine holy with kool-aid-drinker-recommended "Mac Pro Spec" memory. It doesn't make any difference, but at least you can take comfort in the fact that the inside of your computer is prettier than mine, even if my wallet is fatter.

while i wont get into a "mine is fatter than yours" argument, you are right about me wanting to keep my mp pretty. with all the clutter in my life and constant struggle to organize i need my one place of serenity... where everything has its place

the kool-aid is pretty damn good too even though it only comes in one flavour, apple
  • Reply 34 of 34
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slughead

If you've thinned your wallet considerably just getting a Mac Pro in the first place, I don't see the point in that retort in this pissing contest.

Quote:

I really don't think that's a bad price. It looks like they were made for the task too. Unless Mac Pros get quite a lot more popular than Power Macs, I don't think you can get decent economies of scale.