News Flash: Apple premiers Aperture 1.5 at Photokina

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple Computer has released Aperture 1.5, a major update to the all-in-one post production tool for photographers that delivers enhancements across each phase of the entire workflow.

Presenting at the Photokina trade show in Cologne, Germany on Monday, the Cupertino, Calif.-based company showed off several new features of the software, including a powerful new open library, iLife '06 and iWork '06 integration, XMP metadata support, new adjustment tools and an export API that makes it easy to extend the Aperture workflow to third party applications and services.

With a new open library system, managing RAW, JPEG and TIFF images in Aperture 1.5 has been made more flexible, allowing photographers to store image files wherever they want -- either within the Aperture library itself, or in other disk locations, including external hard drives, CDs or DVDs.

The new version of Aperture can also generate high-resolution previews of each image so that users can review, rate and organize images as well as perform slideshows -- even when the master images are offline. The previews, which can be generated at a range of size and quality levels, make it possible for photographers to keep their original images safely stored on a desktop system at home or in the studio, while still being able to take a compact version of their entire photographic library on the road using a MacBook or MacBook Pro.

Aperture 1.5 is now supported across Apple's full line of Macintosh computers, the company said, from the Mac mini to the Mac Pro, and offers new integration with the iLife '06 suite of digital lifestyle applications and iWork '06 productivity software. The tight integration means that photographers can build complete websites with iWeb, create self-contained slide presentations with Keynote, or produce DVD slideshows with iDVD, all using JPEG versions of photos directly from their Aperture library. Integration also includes syncing to iPod using iTunes 7 and the ability to access and copy Aperture photos from within iPhoto.

With Aperture 1.5, Apple has dramatically streamlined the process of adding metadata to photo shoots with new pre-filled IPTC Metadata Presets. Captions, credits and other critical metadata that photographers rely on can be added on import automatically or via a batch process at any point in the workflow. Another major enhancement to metadata support within Aperture is the ability to export RAW images with IPTC data stored in XMP sidecar files for easy use with other applications like Adobe Photoshop and even the ability to generate XMP files automatically through AppleScript.

Some of the powerful new adjustment options in Aperture 1.5 include a sophisticated luminance-based Edge Sharpen filter for extremely high-quality sharpening results and a new Color tool that lets photographers tune the hue, saturation and luminance of specific color ranges within each image. Aperture's popular Loupe magnifier has also been dramatically enhanced with a set of onscreen controls, smooth zooming with up to 1600 percent magnification and a new option that enables it to be detached from the cursor while making adjustments. Meanwhile, individual image adjustment settings can now be saved as presets that can be automatically applied through a menu command, so that photographers can quickly and easily make standard adjustments.

Wih Aperture 1.5, Apple is also introducing a new export API plug-in architecture that allows third party developers to tap into the expanding Aperture user community with plug-ins that seamlessly connect Aperture's workflow to complementary applications and services. Plug-ins from industry leading companies, including Getty Images, iStockphoto, Pictage, Flickr, PhotoShelter, DigitalFusion, Soundslides and Connected Flow, are being previewed at this week's Photokina tradeshow -- demonstrating a range of printing, publishing and storage workflows that take advantage of the new architecture.

Pricing & Availability

Aperture 1.5 is available this week in English, French, German and Japanese as a free Software Update to current Aperture 1.0 customers. Aperture 1.5 is available to order for new customers for a suggested retail price of $299 through the Apple Store, Apple's retail stores and through Apple Authorized Resellers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    Apple's Aperture web site lists new updates. The software (free for current users) will be available later this week.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    On the updated Aperture site, Apple said the new Aperture now runs on Mac mini and also the MacBook.....but I still have the 1.1 CD, so I still won't be able to install it on my MacBook anyways...
  • Reply 3 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wackybit

On the updated Aperture site, Apple said the new Aperture now runs on Mac mini and also the MacBook.....but I still have the 1.1 CD, so I still won't be able to install it on my MacBook anyways...

It's always possible that the 1.5 update could include an installer that will then ask for your CD.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Quote:

There is always the chance that you can just drag the application icon from one computer's application folder to another, assuming you have sufficient licenses

One of the nice things about Apple software is that all essential files are in the folder that lives within/under the application icon. Other files (library folder deposits etc.) seem to be created as needed.

Just a thought.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    I love the iLife synching option. Hope to download this update ASAP. Seeing that aperture now runs on all intel Macs this makes me hope for some speed increases.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

but I still have the 1.1 CD, so I still won't be able to install it on my MacBook anyways...

Have you tried installing it? I've read many reports of people using Aperture on MacBooks - it just warns that the machine is not supported when you launch the app. This MacOSXHints hint tells you how to get rid of said warning.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dutch pear

Seeing that aperture now runs on all intel Macs this makes me hope for some speed increases.

1.1 is a Universal Binary.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    What's more interesting to note is Apple have not had their special event yet....but I suspect this will be talked about in another thread
  • Reply 9 of 27
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman

What's more interesting to note is Apple have not had there special event yet....but I suspect this will be talked about in another thread

Er, what? It ended about an hour ago.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    A very short one, my hope for a new macbook pro has gone....
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

1.1 is a Universal Binary.

Well duh,

I was referring to the fact that apple now specifically mentions/advertises that aperture runs on any intel mac whereas before the recommended system only included the higher end macs (MBP, iMac, PowerMac, Mac pro) IIRC. This specific change on the updated aperture page makes me believe that they have improved the performance of aperture enough to make it run smooth enough on the MB and MM.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Another score for the GMA 950.

It can officially run Aperture.

Quote:

A very short one, my hope for a new macbook pro has gone....

I saw a report that Merom was in short supply. Apple would likely only get enough to support sales of iMacs. They would not get enough right now to continue the brisk pace of MB/MBP sales.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dutch pear

Well duh,

I was referring to the fact that apple now specifically mentions/advertises that aperture runs on any intel mac

Doh! Sorry, missed the all important word in your post: "all".

Yes, I would agree that this hopefully points to some overall speed increases.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    The store still shows v1.1 - there is always a chance that the store will be updated in tandem tomorrow to show v1.5 and the new MBPs. Either way - we still know that the MBP isn't that far away and aperture looks like a more complete app now
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell

Another score for the GMA 950.

It can officially run Aperture.

I saw a report that Merom was in short supply. Apple would likely only get enough to support sales of iMacs. They would not get enough right now to continue the brisk pace of MB/MBP sales.

Yippie F'ing Skippy...

Fuck it. I'm buying a used MBP. Sorry for the Apple-hate, but this shit's ridiculous.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Remember the rumor that Apple has disbanded its Aperture development team and was going to stop Aperture development.

Quote:

Sorry for the Apple-hate, but this shit's ridiculous.

If its true about Merom's supply theirs nothing Apple can really do about that.

If Apple attempted to ship MBP with a short supply of Merom, then everyone would be on back order.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell

Remember the rumor that Apple has disbanded its Aperture development team and was going to stop Aperture development.

If its true about Merom's supply theirs nothing Apple can really do about that.

If Apple attempted to ship MBP with a short supply of Merom, then everyone would be on back order.

I remember this stupid rumor. In fact the old developpement team has been replaced by a more skilled one.

Aperture is a critical application for Apple.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    This looks to have added several features that we were pining for. I look forward to upgrading.

At the same time, I look forward to trying out the new Lightroom beta.

Competition is good.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

Er, what? It ended about an hour ago.

Oops. I was under the impression it was tomorrow.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    If they don't announce Merom MBPs soon I think I'm gonna go nuts. I need to get rid of this laptop, it keeps overheating, and this was supposed to be my first Mac. However, I've been waiting since JUNE and I'm going to go and kidnap an Apple exec. and get a REAL launch date. I wouldn't even care if they came out and said, November - but they have to play stupid games with their customers.