Photokina event over: No macbook pros

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
So the event is also over...no macbook pro's. I really need one...What do you all think now for a possible date of a new macbook pro launch? I guess I am trying to get some ideas so i can decide if I want to buy one now or wait for a new one. I would hate it if I buy one now and a new one comes within a few weeks. Last article on appleinsider said that anytime now to thanksgiving so that can be a while..It seemed like this event was a perfect time to release new ones. Obviously now, since there is no big event planned, it will be a silent lanch like iMacs. Any ideas or suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    Wait till tomorrow and see what happens. I'm in the same boat right now, I pushed back getting one till now, but I don't know how much longer I can wait, i need one. im going to wait till tomorrow and see what happens, if nothing, maybe another week. I can't push it to much more.
  • Reply 2 of 48
    This is a failure for Apple.

Now the only computer manufacturer without a Core2Duo portable.

It's unbelievable.

• Reply 3 of 48
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    I still have yet to read a single report of someone actually receiving a Core 2 Duo laptop, regardless of manufacturer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but to my knowledge, they're still very rare.
  • Reply 4 of 48
    Okay, seriously, Apple: I'm not going to buy a 6-month-old rev of a laptop with a dated processor, very dated graphics card, etc. The time to release a 64-bit notebook is now.
  • Reply 5 of 48
    Fuck it. I'm buying a used MBP. I'm not waiting for Apple to dig their heads out of their asses. I'm tired of their bullshit "think different" business tactics. This used MBP will hold me over until the Santa Rosa chipset takes full advantage of the Merom... they've got until friday.

EDIT: Ok, now that I've calmed down a bit, I'll give Apple until the day I see the first C2D notebooks on store shelves. I can't fault them for not shipping what they don't have.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

I still have yet to read a single report of someone actually receiving a Core 2 Duo laptop, regardless of manufacturer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but to my knowledge, they're still very rare.

Other manufacturers could just be taking pre-orders still?? I can't see this being to much longer though. they have been on Dells website for a least a week now, if not longer. Hopefully tomorrow they store will be updated...maybe next week?

The reason for the news letter stating anytime from last week till november could be the cips are in very low supply? Maybe they haven't been as mass produced as once thought? I jus hope they come out tomorrrow or the lastest next tuesday. I would be really pissed if I buy one next week and a week or two later the new ones come out...thats when I through the MBP out the window, pick it up, and put it back in the box. Call Apple and tell them I recieved a defective laptop and send it back
  • Reply 7 of 48
    Actually Sony has two models with the Core2Duo.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    I understand the sentiment, but no matter when you buy any particular product I dont see advancement in all related areas (broadband internet, video streaming, 64 bit apps) changing so fast that the current macs will be "obsolete" any time in the next couple years.

The thing holding my computing back right now is my crappy 'broadband' cable modem. I know the computer makers are in a competition to release the latest chipset, but the chip is only one of the main players here.

And just in case, save some cash for when the Mini can do everything we've ever imagined. Lol!
  • Reply 9 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJmastamind

but can you goto the store and buy one??
  • Reply 10 of 48
    Quote:

Exactly my point. It's just sad.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

This is a failure for Apple.

Aren't we being a wee bit dramatic.

What is the point of Apple offering Merom laptop if it cannot ship a Merom laptop?

Why should Apple switch to Merom if does not have enough supply to meet sales?

Apple could also use the time to figure out the bugs in the current laptops before moving on.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Shipping? Or just up for pre-order? All I've seen so far is the latter.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    But the thing is that if dell is offering inspiron series and sony is selling 2 models, then apple should also since they are the best..besides the market share ( even though is increasing) is way below dell so if dell has enough chips to take orders, then apple should be able to also. And if they can't ship yet, at least take pre-orders so we all know ok, we can wait for a few weeks.

I can understand that with technology the new thing is always right at the corner...so i am not saying that we need to know months in advance but like dell is taking orders and shipping within 3 weeks..that is a good aproach as people will not feel like they missed on new chips over a few weeks..with apple 14 day policy and restocking fees, one cannot do that with apple where we buy it and if new ones come in 10 days, we get new ones...we will have to waste restocking fees which can be quite steep...so wish we could place some preorders and know that we will get new ones now..
  • Reply 14 of 48
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    It isn't tuesday yet.

Or silent update wednesday.

And it certainly is not Thanksgiving yet.

So boys and girls sheer up, less than 2 months to go.
  • Reply 15 of 48
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    We know Apple will use Core 2.

We will just have to exercise a diminishing skill in todays MTV culture called "patience".
  • Reply 16 of 48
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Why does every event Apple attends have to include hardware introduction?
  • Reply 17 of 48
    Look at it like this.

Intel started shipping Merom in late August. However it will take a while for Intel to ship enough chips to meet manufacturers demand.

Apple have 5 models of computer. 4 of which could use the Merom.

Apple update a model and immediately stop selling the old. This means they need large quantities of Merom if they are going to update models.

With limited quantities of available Merom CPU, the iMac gets the update since it is the model that has gone the longest period without an update.

No doubt the Macbook Pro will be next to get the Merom. But it won't be released until Apple have enough available Merom CPU's to do so. Also may be there is a slightly longer delay due to the Macbook Pro getting more of an update than just a new CPU.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell

Aren't we being a wee bit dramatic.

What is the point of Apple offering Merom laptop if it cannot ship a Merom laptop?

Why should Apple switch to Merom if does not have enough supply to meet sales?

Apple could also use the time to figure out the bugs in the current laptops before moving on.

You're right. My dissapointment was just too big, and I had to let it go.

It would be nice if you're right about Apple fixing bugs as well as upgrading the cpu.

Time will tell.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    I am quite saddened.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    I have a new MBP and while it doesn't have Merom I'm not very dissapointed over its current performance. One thing I do know is that a 17" is a heck of a lot heavier to lug around than I thought. On the plus side its a lot lighter than the Dell precision workstation I was lugging around to do demos...

Vinea