Mulholland Dr., Memento, etc.

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    If you liked Persona try some of the earlier efforts.

E.g., the Virgin Spring. That one knocked me for a loop and a half.
  • Reply 22 of 60
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timo

E.g., the Virgin Spring. That one knocked me for a loop and a half.

Try watching Virgin Spring trans-coital. It's revelatory.
  • Reply 23 of 60
    addabox - I haven't seen a single one of those! Thanks.
  • Reply 24 of 60
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter

It wasn't feigned. I honestly don't understand why people like that movie.

Yes, of course.

My god, man!? why all the baiting? ... Sewell's character's primo 'birth' experience in the bath at the beginning, through the repeated 'escape from control' of the 'beings that live off others' themes--coupled Jack Bauer's use of science to overcome, to help the Übermensch realize himself -- culminating in the overthrow of the Fates....?

Give me a break.....
  • Reply 25 of 60
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timo

I saw that in a european film class when i was in college. Loved it.
  • Reply 26 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmz

Yes, of course.

My god, man!? why all the baiting? ... Sewell's character's primo 'birth' experience in the bath at the beginning, through the repeated 'escape from control' of the 'beings that live off others' themes--coupled Jack Bauer's use of science to overcome, to help the Übermensch realize himself -- culminating in the overthrow of the Fates....?

Give me a break.....

I don't have a clue what all this means...
  • Reply 27 of 60
    Polanski's The Tenant

Coppola's The Conversation

Soderbergh's The Limey

Welles' The Trial

...and anything by Kubrick, but especially A Clockwork Orange
  • Reply 28 of 60
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmz

Yes, of course.

Give me a break.....

How about instead of acting like an ass you believe me when I say "It wasn't feigned. I honestly don't understand why people like that movie"?

If what you're describing here is in fact why people like the movie?because it sticks ham-fistedly to some kind of Jungian/Nietzschean/Campbellian narrative structure?then fine. I don't find that kind of narrative structure interesting or compelling in and of itself, and I was hoping there was more to it than a stylized Campbellian masturbation with reference to neither Baudrillard nor simulacra that I was missing, considering the sheer volume of film buffs I know who love it. Is there something special about the acting? About the sci-fi adaptation of noir? About the noir adaptation of sci-fi? about the sets? about the lighting? camera work? the effects?

But seriously, man. This is AO, not PO. I'm not baiting anyone and I'm making sincere statements. You can ratchet down the paranoia about a thousand percent.
  • Reply 29 of 60
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell

Thanks for the suggestions. I've seen several of them, but I've never heard of Junior Brown's Planet. What's that? I didn't see it on Netflix or Amazon. Seeing Pi and Requiem for a Dream also reminds of Primer (oh I guess it's not by the same guy - I thought it was).

The Planet of Junior Brown is a weird little movie I caught late one night on cable. Was apparently released as Junior's Groove, but a solid performance by Sarah Polley, Margo Kidder (who I don't like), and Clark Johnson (Meldrick on Homicide).
  • Reply 30 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdreams

Polanski's The Tenant

Coppola's The Conversation

Soderbergh's The Limey

Welles' The Trial

...and anything by Kubrick, but especially A Clockwork Orange

Good ones, all.
  • Reply 31 of 60
    Quote:

The Planet of Junior Brown is a weird little movie I caught late one night on cable. Was apparently released as Junior's Groove, but a solid performance by Sarah Polley, Margo Kidder (who I don't like), and Clark Johnson (Meldrick on Homicide).

Ooooh, for intense BRussell could just do a "Homicide" marathon. Andre Braugher is an entire sub-genre of intense unto himself.

Oh yeah, let me add to the list Run Lola Run and The Princess and the Warrior, both by German director Tom Tykwer and both staring sexy-in-that- slightly-butch-Euro-way Franka Potente.

Both are a tad gimmicky but tons 'o fun. Run Lola Run, in particular, is one of those "I"m too crazed with film ideas to edit myself or say no to my most excessive impulses" kind of deal but in a highly controlled German way.
  • Reply 32 of 60
    Clark Johnson is also a director; mainly TV shows like The Shield, but he did make The Sentinel with Michael Douglas recently. And if you like Andre Brougher, I suggest you download the first season of Thief if you haven't seen it already. Very intense show, and not all flashy like that Heist show on NBC.
  • Reply 33 of 60
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Quote:

How about instead of acting like an ass you believe me when I say "It wasn't feigned. I honestly don't understand why people like that movie"?

If what you're describing here is in fact why people like the movie—because it sticks ham-fistedly to some kind of Jungian/Nietzschean/Campbellian narrative structure—then fine. I don't find that kind of narrative structure interesting or compelling in and of itself, and I was hoping there was more to it than a stylized Campbellian masturbation with reference to neither Baudrillard nor simulacra that I was missing, considering the sheer volume of film buffs I know who love it. Is there something special about the acting? About the sci-fi adaptation of noir? About the noir adaptation of sci-fi? about the sets? about the lighting? camera work? the effects?

But seriously, man. This is AO, not PO. I'm not baiting anyone and I'm making sincere statements. You can ratchet down the paranoia about a thousand percent.

I call baiting on the highest order. If you thought the movie was clumsy, you should have said so. Guilty!!

(that said, my cat-kicking deficit need not show in my posts -- apologies)
  • Reply 34 of 60
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978

I don't know what you mean by "challenging"

I mean films that you don't really understand when you're watching them the first time. YOu have to do a lot of work just to figure out what's going on.
  • Reply 35 of 60
    Have you seen 'Festen'?
  • Reply 36 of 60
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    No mention of 2046 yet‽ That's a new classic. also Kieslowski's double life of veronique.

BTW, if you haven't read it yet, the new yorker article on mulholland drive's background is the key to understanding much of the big picture, and if Auditioning Betty in Mulholland Drive from the fall 04 film quarterly deconstructs the most important scene.
  • Reply 37 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell

I mean films that you don't really understand when you're watching them the first time. YOu have to do a lot of work just to figure out what's going on.

You mean like puzzle films?
  • Reply 38 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox

Ooooh, for intense BRussell could just do a "Homicide" marathon. Andre Braugher is an entire sub-genre of intense unto himself.

I thought about just saying that, too. Especially those early seasons.

Quote:

Oh yeah, let me add to the list Run Lola Run and The Princess and the Warrior, both by German director Tom Tykwer and both staring sexy-in-that- slightly-butch-Euro-way Franka Potente.

With the caveat that they are largely the same movie. Although the train in Wupperthal that runs over the river is very cool (I stayed, brielfy, in the city where the Princess and the Warrior was filmed).
  • Reply 39 of 60
    What about Peter Jackson's Heavenly Creatures?
  • Reply 40 of 60
    oh, Jacob's ladder, but everybody's seen that...

Quote:

I didn't make it past the first season with that. Loved the first season. But didn't make it past it.

Yeah, carnivale's second season is on DVD now. I have 4 episodes left, but I've been putting it off because I don't want to burn it up. If you want a super long puzzle flick, though, this is it.