When to buy a MB

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
This is drving me insane, i dont know when i should buy a MB should i get one when its realeased with:

Merom and Napa chipset

Merom and Santa Rosa chipset

Conroe-L and santa rosa chipset...??? will this happen ???

People have been sayin that The Santa Rosa chipset will make the modest difference but the Merom CPU will be soon out of date so im just going insane because i want a MB but when i get it i dont want there to be a update in like 2 months i want it to be in date for a considerable amout of time and i can wait for a bit but i dont want to get a MB for christmas if its going to be out of date. Ive had freinds who bought the Ibook and litterally days after the MB came out i feel sorry for them and i dont want this to happen to me, Please help. 8)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Moved to Current Hardware. WWDC is over.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy

Moved to Current Hardware. WWDC is over.

mmm so what did this post have to do with the WWDC??
  • Reply 3 of 18
    You probably put it in the Temporary Insanity section.

On that note, Santa Rosa isn't coming out 'till middle of '07 or later. If you need the MacBook, then get one as Merom is marginally better then Yonah. You can't go wrong either way, unless you want to do graphical things like Motion and Aperture.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theapplegenius

You probably put it in the Temporary Insanity section.

Lol yea i put it in there lol umm well i will wait i dont need the MB and im gonna wait for the revisions anyway as ive seen the amount of defects the MB has
  • Reply 5 of 18
    applepiapplepi Posts: 365member
    Yeah man I'd wait until they at least go 64bit.

As far as I see it this is really the most important aspect of any new update at this point.

There may come a time not all that far away when 32bit systems become outdated quickly.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Yup - I second the recommendation to wait. Wait until Merom at least when you'll have 64-bit. If you really want to make sure more bugs get taken care of, wait until a few months after Leopard is out too (2007). That way you have the 64-bit OS, the updates to it, and the Merom or better processor.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Ok, I'm in much the same position as Wright_P on this one. I'm looking to jump into MacBook (possibly Pro) ownership and I should probably try and sort this one out in my head:

I'm really hankering after an Apple laptop and I'm concerned about the proximity of Leopard's arrival to buying a new machine. I take it Apple aren't likely to discount Leopard to people who buy new machines in the run up to the new OS release? (Pretty optimistic I know, but we can dream...)

Also, I'm sure I've read somewhere (that may be code for 'I imagined') that the current Core Duo processor in the MacBook and MacBook Pro (and also my iMac) is 64-bit capable and will be fine to harness the 64-bit support of Leopard, so that just leaves buying the new OS (which I'm not keen on, but needs must!).

I was lucky with my iMac, I got the 20" a few days after the January announcement so it's only just fallen from the top of the perch recently.

Anyone wonder whether Apple are having trouble with the heat from the C2Ds?
  • Reply 8 of 18
    (1) Leopard is not here at least until 2007 most likely March/April. There is never any reduction in the retail OS price. However, if you do buy a retail copy, usually there is no block of any sort to install on both machines (oops naughty!) apart from the licensing . This contrasts with the install disks that come with the new machines.

(2) Core Duo is only ever 32 bit (AFAIK), but we usually expect/get increases in performance with each paid OS upgrade. I.e. even on 32 bit system. Panther -> Tiger was a big speed jump.

(3) I guess you could judge how much better (or not) performance you'll get from C2D notebook by testing a new iMac in Apple store/PC world/John Lewis, compared to your one.

Nobody knows what problems there are (or if there are any) with C2D and Apple notebooks - whatever, most probably C2D MBP's are released soon! Tomorrow anybody?

MB maybe not for a while. Not until they can match the current demand at least.

Soon after Leopard a new Intel chipset will be released which will be a significant improvement in speed, and graphics (in the MB)

You can get good deals in UK for refurb 1.83Ghz MBP's at £920 from Apple store <- I thought I'd throw that into to mix.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OfficerDigby

You can get good deals in UK for refurb 1.83Ghz MBP's at £920 from Apple store <- I thought I'd throw that into to mix.

Yeah, I've been scouring the refurb list on an almost daily basis. I'm not unhappy about getting a refurb machine but I do worry about whether it's scratched or not! Now, I understand Apple check them out to be working and repackage etc., but do they resell slightly scratched/dented machines? It's a bit picky of me but I'd prefer it if the machine was perfect for a while (then I'll probably end up scratching it!). Has anyone got any experience of a buying a refurb machine?

Another problem for me is I'd quite like to get a 7200rpm hard-drive, a faster HD is perhaps more important than graphics. With the MacBook a hard drive is easy to switch in but I saw the video for replacing a MacBook Pro hard drive and it involved popping clips and pulling keyboard out and whatnot, which I wouldn't feel massively comfortable about...

Beyond using the machine for Mac OS X stuff I'd want to use Windows under Parallels and prefer the 15" screen resolution on the MacBook Pro. I'm a C# developer by day so it's nothing massively intensive graphics-wise.

Anyone have any thoughts on any of the coherent elements of my ramblings?
  • Reply 10 of 18
    you're best bet for trouble-free & excellent cosmetic condition machine is to pick up a "refreshed" MBP from your local apple store.. a refreshed is a mac which has been returned in excellent condition within 14days from day of purchase... that's what I did w/my first one..
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ApplePi

Yeah man I'd wait until they at least go 64bit.

As far as I see it this is really the most important aspect of any new update at this point.

There may come a time not all that far away when 32bit systems become outdated quickly.

Why wait for 64-bit? Do any of you even know what you will use it for? When to buy macbook, mate? Whenever. 64-bit is for all it mattesr, merely a question of a larger memory space. You can address more memory, so for high end computers this means a lot since you can double quadruple your memory pool, mac pros have 16 gig limit I think.

But for the average use, even the in-the-know user, 64-bit is going to make ZERO difference to your daily use. It is all the other little improvements together that makes it worth waiting, but also not worth waiting. Faster graphics, bigger disks, more megahurtz etc. But 32-bit or 64-bit? Don't lose sleep over it. Order now if you must have. I just did after agonizing for far too long about whether or not NOW was the time to order.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMACcolata

Why wait for 64-bit? Do any of you even know what you will use it for? When to buy macbook, mate? Whenever. 64-bit is for all it mattesr, merely a question of a larger memory space. You can address more memory, so for high end computers this means a lot since you can double quadruple your memory pool, mac pros have 16 gig limit I think.

But for the average use, even the in-the-know user, 64-bit is going to make ZERO difference to your daily use. It is all the other little improvements together that makes it worth waiting, but also not worth waiting. Faster graphics, bigger disks, more megahurtz etc. But 32-bit or 64-bit? Don't lose sleep over it. Order now if you must have. I just did after agonizing for far too long about whether or not NOW was the time to order.

I need all the memory I can get. I don't think 2 gigs is enough for me to get what I need done. Using a lot of audio production software (Cubase 4 just came out for Intel Mac) and VSTi's (NI is releasing all of their UB versions within the next two months...Pro-53, Battery 3, FM8, Kontakt 2...The Izotope plugs are already UB, and who really cares about any other besides Waves...but they are going to be a while), Web work with Flash and Dreamweaver, doing a lot of hi-res graphics (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) and 3d work with Cinema 4D (UB) and Modo (UB), I don't see 2 gigs being enough. That's why I'm trying to hold out as much as possible. I herd that Pro Tools runs fairly well with the current MBP using the Mbox 2 and Pro Tools 7, but using PT means converting all your VSTi's to RTAS, and no matter what anyone says...THOSE PACKERS DON"T WORK RIGHT. My roomate has errors with them all the time...that's why you stick with Steinberg. They have the best VSTi support...ok I'm rambling...DONE!! lol
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Does it mean anything that Apple is showing no MacBooks in stock?

http://www.pcprices.net/macbook.shtml
  • Reply 14 of 18
    The only way to make sure there won't "be an update in 2 months" is to wait for the next update and buy right then.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    wait till macworld 08. quad core macbooks maaaan...

but seriously. they run awesome now. they're great machines. mines been running all day, basically silent and not over heating whatsoever. you can wait all you want. but with computers your always going to be one step behind. so just get it now and dont waste away wating. enjoy it now.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Buy now. This upgrade agonizing is embarassing. I just read about a guy who adviced his GF to wait buying a macbook back in june when he heard that the Merom would come out. 3 months. I bet you she lost more fun not having that macbook for 3 months than any minor megahurtz bump from Yonah to Merom could justify. Buy now. And stop behaving like a PC geek
  • Reply 17 of 18
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMACcolata

Why wait for 64-bit? Do any of you even know what you will use it for? When to buy macbook, mate? Whenever. 64-bit is for all it mattesr, merely a question of a larger memory space.

It means also that you can do 64-bit arithmetic much faster than on a 32-bit CPU. Here is an example. Furthermore, unlike the PowerPC case, x86-64 adds some more registers over x86-32 and there is a general performance gain from that too, but I cannot say how much.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Excellent reply. The classic answer to 64-bit on PPC is different on x86 due to the extra registers that 64-bit x86 CPUs have, as you note.

On PPC, no benefit is gained from 64-bit OS unless you need to address more than 4 GB, or need to do integer arithmetic on integers larger than 2^31.

On x86, the extra registers may allow for faster binaries even if the above requirements aren't met.