AMD chief says Apple will eventually use AMD chips

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 159
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by barl0w

Sorry to be picky, but Dell only sells up to 4 sockets in their servers. This has always been the case because they buy Intel-based (in the past) "white boxes" and re-label them as Dell's. Please see this link for their largest server:

http://tinyurl.com/z6ftj

For larger than 4 sockets, you need to go to NEC, Unisys, HP, Fujitsu or other less-known vendors.

Thanks -

Ok Porky, it was the point of 4 and up that mattered here, no matter who makes them.
  • Reply 142 of 159
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

They don't need new particles. The same old particles will continue to work just fine.

The problem is related to the fact that we use charge to keep data in memory, or to do calculations. Charge uses energy to retain a bit, or to change a bit. The faster a bit changes, the more energy is required.

But, now they are learning to use "spin". The field is called "Spintronics".

In theory, no energy need be expended with this concept. In reality, some energy is always expended. But the amount of energy needed is far less.

This is how they are intending to extend the parameters down below the 20 - 30 nm levels. If they can get complex circuits working in time, which it looks as though they have a good chance of doing.

What with all the references to grass, I was positive this thread was about drugs... now with this post, we can clearly see that I was right.
  • Reply 143 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking

The headline is incredibly misleading. He's essentially saying he can imagine apple knocking on their door evebtually, not that they have.

But the thing is apple probably can never use AMD chips because they offer to few cmputer models, it'd be too confusing to consumers. They only offer 5 computer models, 1 or 2 with AMD chips just wouldn't make any sense.

I agree,

The average consumer doesnt have a clue what the difference b/t intel and amd is, and they would just be like fx82? core 2 duo? huh????? help me dell?

Intel = one type of processor, which = simple, Apple's specialty

If they were gonna switch, it would def. be a full jump, which wouldnt prob happen for couple of years after Apple was so proud of the 210 day switch and the share they've gained.
  • Reply 144 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slughead

What with all the references to grass, I was positive this thread was about drugs... now with this post, we can clearly see that I was right.

Why? You're not familiar with the concept?
  • Reply 145 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aiolos

I agree,

The average consumer doesnt have a clue what the difference b/t intel and amd is, and they would just be like fx82? core 2 duo? huh????? help me dell?

Intel = one type of processor, which = simple, Apple's specialty

If they were gonna switch, it would def. be a full jump, which wouldnt prob happen for couple of years after Apple was so proud of the 210 day switch and the share they've gained.

That's very true!

When Apple first announced the switch, back in June 2005, I went around and asked a large variety of people about which cpu was in their Mac, if they had one, and if they didn't have one, I asked which company supplied it.

The Mac people didn't always know that it was either IBM or Freescale (who are they?).

The PC people usually thought it was an Intel chip (don't they all use Intel?).

The fact that Mac sales never dipped below the previous years when the switch was underway shows, I think, that many people had no idea (dispite the commercials) that Apple was doing anything different, whatever that was.

Some of the others, who knew, waited. But, they actually seem to be in the minority, even today.
  • Reply 146 of 159
    Quote:

Some of the others, who knew, waited. But, they actually seem to be in the minority, even today.

Of course they are in the minority -- most people aren't geeks, and the world is a better place for it. Not only does it mean that us geeks can make a better living, it also means we're not overrun with geeks!

Seriously though, I think that the people on sites like this one forget that they are unusual in that they are interested in obscure details about how their machine works. Most people don't care, don't want to care, and don't even really care about 20% performance differences here and there. All they know is they want it fast enough, able to do what they need to easily, that it looks good and is quiet, and that it keeps working.
  • Reply 147 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aiolos

I'm not sure I agree with this entirely. Sure there are people who have no idea what's in their computer, but many others do. How else do you explain the gains that AMD has made in marketshare over the last several years? Opteron and athlon chips were far better than Intel's netburst counterparts and consumers began to choose AMD.
  • Reply 148 of 159
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac

I'm not sure I agree with this entirely. Sure there are people who have no idea what's in their computer, but many others do. How else do you explain the gains that AMD has made in marketshare over the last several years? Opteron and athlon chips were far better than Intel's netburst counterparts and consumers began to choose AMD.

Sure...

Everybody know if it isn't Pentium4 it sucks.

AMD? Fake Pentiums, Boo...

More something for (large) corporate business users, a couple of geeks and gamers.
  • Reply 149 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gar

Sure...

Everybody know if it isn't Pentium4 it sucks.

AMD? Fake Pentiums, Boo...

More something for (large) corporate business users, a couple of geeks and gamers.

Are you implying that AMDs gains in marketshare came only from geeks and gamers and corporate business users? I think it went a little deeper than that.
  • Reply 150 of 159
    Quote:

Are you implying that AMDs gains in marketshare came only from geeks and gamers and corporate business users? I think it went a little deeper than that.

I don't know what he's implying, but he sort of has it right. At least until very recently.

Most people don't care what's in their machines, as long as it does what they expect it to do.

What people in the PC buying world do care about though, is price. Over the years, AMD has been found in the cheapest of machines. Manufacturers were going for those cheap products, because the competition in that low end space was factored in pennies. Any advantage there would end up in a sale.

Only more recently has AMD been gaining in the higher end machines. AMD is big in the do it yourself crowd, otherwise known as the retail chip trade. That's where they made their biggest consumer advances. Then, of course, the high end game machines. The higher end x86 market servers have been using them as well, but still have mostly Intel inside.

But, as AMD's visibility has risen, we are seeing more of their chips in mid range machines as well.

But, this might change, if Intel maintains their lead, as it seems they will do in most areas. Do it yourselfers seem to be turning to Conroe in recents months.

AMD's gains may be short lived in many markets.
  • Reply 151 of 159
    Quote:

I don't know what he's implying, but he sort of has it right. At least until very recently.

I thought corporate businesses were the very heart of Intel's sales, and the one place where AMD penetration hadn't reached yet. At least half a year ago.
  • Reply 152 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros

I thought corporate businesses were the very heart of Intel's sales, and the one place where AMD penetration hadn't reached yet. At least half a year ago.

Look at the computer companies, and what products they are selling. AMD certainly hasn't taken that business over. Not by a long shot. But, due to the lawsuits they have brought against Intel, as well as the improvement in their product line, they have made advances.

Overall though, Intel still controls almost 80% of the x86 market.

But both the high end, and the low end have been chipped away somewhat. There's been some creep into the middle as well.
  • Reply 153 of 159
    Quote:

Most people don't care what's in their machines, as long as it does what they expect it to do.

What people in the PC buying world do care about though, is price. Over the years, AMD has been found in the cheapest of machines. Manufacturers were going for those cheap products, because the competition in that low end space was factored in pennies. Any advantage there would end up in a sale.

Only more recently has AMD been gaining in the higher end machines. AMD is big in the do it yourself crowd, otherwise known as the retail chip trade. That's where they made their biggest consumer advances. Then, of course, the high end game machines. The higher end x86 market servers have been using them as well, but still have mostly Intel inside.

But, as AMD's visibility has risen, we are seeing more of their chips in mid range machines as well.

But, this might change, if Intel maintains their lead, as it seems they will do in most areas. Do it yourselfers seem to be turning to Conroe in recents months.

AMD's gains may be short lived in many markets.

The pc market is a large market. I think it is more diverse than people here are giving it credit for. Not everyone who buys a pc is ignorant of their purchase. Many are quite aware of what they bought and did so for a reason. If not why is Intel now concerned about perfromance and performance per watt? AMD wasn't hurting Intel on price with their Athlons and Opterons. Those were generally more expensive than the Intel offerings, Extreme Editions notwithstanding. If price was the only consideration all pcs sold would have celerons.
  • Reply 154 of 159
    Quote:

The majority of people are sold the product they buy. Get a salesman jazzed about a product, and he'll work harder to sell it. The salesmen aren't just at the stores, either. They are friends of the purchasers, writers of magazines and websites, review contributors, etc. Get one geek on board and you probably get 10 sales.

But does the average purchaser really care what his processor is? No.
  • Reply 155 of 159
    See my post above.
  • Reply 156 of 159
    Quote:

See my post above.

Right. but MOST people do not care, or even know what cpu is in their machine. Just try asking people you know who are not "into" it the way we are. My bet is that most won't know. They might not even remember who MAKES the machine, much less the model name or number.

This is less true for Mac users, but it still is true to a great extent. I went through this, and found that most people are very ignorant about their machines.

Most can't say how much RAM they have, or even what it is. They don't know what size the HD is, what speed it runs at, or how big the cache is. They have no idea what video card or chip is there, or how much video memory is available.

The salesperson may tell them some of those things, assuming they know, but the information is lost in the overload, and soon forgotten.
  • Reply 157 of 159
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

They might not even remember who MAKES the machine, much less the model name or number.

Or which OS it runs, though it's easy to "lucky guess" Windows assuming they even know that's the name for an operating system.

And there's risk of overgeneralizing, believing every computer runs Windows or has "Intel Inside".

Quote:

I went through this, and found that most people are very ignorant about their machines.

Went through? I can't imagine ever asking most people technical details about their computers without encountering some amount of ignorance and/or confusion. I have to force myself to "talk dumb" with them and hope there's communication.

Quote:

Most can't say how much RAM they have, or even what it is. They don't know what size the HD is, what speed it runs at, or how big the cache is. They have no idea what video card or chip is there, or how much video memory is available.

Yep. Plenty of people are totally unfamiliar with the basic terminology for those components and don't care or aren't interested enough to ever learn.

There's an analogous software-related ignorance, too. For instance, some people will only know names of programs they use (e.g. Internet Explorer) but have no clue about the general categories (e.g. web browser). Or they have trouble associating one with the other.
  • Reply 158 of 159
    Damn those non-geeks with their ignorance and real lives filled with other things besides figuring out the exact default and max clock speed of their notebook GPU....!!!!!!!11!!!!!1!one!!
  • Reply 159 of 159
    Heh.