$99 Zune possible?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Could be possible, but it would very surprising if they subsidize both zune and xbox360 at the same time. If it's true, apple will have to cut the ipod prices dramaticly, but keep in mind, they could sell a ipod at 100 $ without loosing much at all..
  • Reply 2 of 18
    I do not think the Zune sell very well. It doesn't look like the Zune will play any music purchased or rented (i.e protected WMA, WMV) from the other online stores. Hopefully, Microsoft will provide a way to make it easy on people that will go from using content provided by Microsoft partners to using content provided by Microsoft.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    I would be very surprised. The Wallmart site had them listed at close to iPod prices, and remember, iTunes is really a loss-leader to help Apple sell iPods. Unlike the xbox, where Microsoft plans to make up the money on games, I can't see how they would make up for the loss of money on Zunes.

If they do, however, I'd like to see Apple do a ju-jitsu move on MS. They could license the software and Fairplay to all the manufacturers MS just abandons on PlayForSure. Suddenly, Apple owns the whole industry.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    I don't think so. But a $200 zune might be possible.

$100 would be a dream, and MS would be loosing too much money on it. ( they can't make money back like they can on games with the 360, so they can't sell at too much of a loss )
  • Reply 5 of 18
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    M$ might start off by offering Zune at a big discount to get the product moving. However, given a choice between Zune for $99 and an iPod Nano for $149, I think most people would buy the Nano.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave

M$ might start off by offering Zune at a big discount to get the product moving. However, given a choice between Zune for $99 and an iPod Nano for $149, I think most people would buy the Nano.

are you serious?

people aren't that blinded by good looks. they would recognize the better value when they see one. that is why alot of people upgrade to the 30gb iPod Video compared to the 4gb(now 8gb) nano.

they would see the extra features it offered and make the more cost-effective choice. ( specially if it was cheaper than the nano )
  • Reply 7 of 18
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Yes, I'm serious. The iPod is the most popular music player out there and arguably the best, no matter what the storage size. And it's ubiquitous.

Zune is an unknown. Perhaps it will turn out to be a decent player but I doubt people will want one any more than any other also-ran.

Imagine the kid who gets a Zune for Christmas when s/he wanted an iPod. It'd be a big disappointment.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    A lot of Windows users will migrate over to the Zune on the assumption that it'll work better with their computer, but I think they'll find all the problems that plague iPod/iTunes on Windows are inherent with the Zune as well. And if they think Apple has bad support, wait until they get a load of MS! You'll have to pay $49 per incident for that $99 player.

BTW, does anyone else think that sharing files over WiFi on a Microsoft product is a recipe for disaster? Not to harp on them too much, but the first time I read about that feature, I immediately wondered how long it would take before some intrepid young programmer found a way to "share" a worm with another Zune owner on the subway.

Soon you'll be able to identify Zune owners not by the color of their headphones, but by the shrieks of pain they elicit as their volume jumps to 11 at random intervals.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    $99? No way.

$230? Entirely possible.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:

Yes, I'm serious. The iPod is the most popular music player out there and arguably the best, no matter what the storage size. And it's ubiquitous.

Zune is an unknown. Perhaps it will turn out to be a decent player but I doubt people will want one any more than any other also-ran.

Imagine the kid who gets a Zune for Christmas when s/he wanted an iPod. It'd be a big disappointment.

yeah you got a point there.However, I still think that a consumer with a limited budget would go for the better value though.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdreams

A lot of Windows users will migrate over to the Zune on the assumption that it'll work better with their computer, but I think they'll find all the problems that plague iPod/iTunes on Windows are inherent with the Zune as well. And if they think Apple has bad support, wait until they get a load of MS! You'll have to pay $49 per incident for that $99 player.

BTW, does anyone else think that sharing files over WiFi on a Microsoft product is a recipe for disaster? Not to harp on them too much, but the first time I read about that feature, I immediately wondered how long it would take before some intrepid young programmer found a way to "share" a worm with another Zune owner on the subway.

Soon you'll be able to identify Zune owners not by the color of their headphones, but by the shrieks of pain they elicit as their volume jumps to 11 at random intervals.

that would suck.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    seriously. i dont knwo if microsoft have ever been to highschool or anything.

but ipods are not the market leaders for their features, definately not quality.

its the 'cool factor' that is the reason for their extreme success.

how the hell is zune going to match the 'cool factor' by being the el-cheapo alternative. common. common sense.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnbpr

seriously. i dont knwo if microsoft have ever been to highschool or anything.

but ipods are not the market leaders for their features, definately not quality.

its the 'cool factor' that is the reason for their extreme success.

how the hell is zune going to match the 'cool factor' by being the el-cheapo alternative. common. common sense.

yeah but teenagers are fickle ( I know I am one ). What is *hawt* one day, won't be the next.

example: I used to love the look of the Razr's, now I cannot stand them.

even ipods are starting to loose their luster to me. ( the ipod videos, not nanos, new nanos look much better )

so until apple releases a redesign, like they did with the nano, other mp3 players have a chance to become the next big thing. ( although highly unlikely, because Apple always has an ace up their sleeves ).

also about the whole $99 Zune, someone posted a great comment on another site that suggested tiered pricing structure, like cellphones.

i.e. if you sign up for a year of Zunepass ( their subscription service ) you get a Zune for $99

where if you don't sign up, you buy it for the standard price. ( price is still unconfirmed )

I think this would work really well. I know Napster tried it, but their mp3 player sucked, and it wasn't advertised. ( not on tv or stores anyways, because you had to buy it online )

just throwing it out there.... haven't considered the details, but it would work right?
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by D.J. Adequate

and remember, iTunes is really a loss-leader to help Apple sell iPods.

I thought Apple was at least breaking even on iTS. According to this page, it actually turned a profit in 4Q2005. I don't think Apple ever intended to make iTS a loss leader, it just wasn't profitable in the beginning. Even now it probably only turns a modest profit, but it's no loss leader.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:

Also, the iPod has the cache (for now) and image of coolness that almost no Microsoft product has.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Forget the $99. They have announced the price: $249.99. Songs are 99¢. http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articl...mktNews&rpc=44 They are still losing money.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    So, no $229 undercut. Wonder if they stand much of a chance like this.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Pre-loading the Monkey Boy hit "Developers, Developers, Developers" may just be the secret weapon. It's being kept secret, however, so Apple will not start their photocopiers and pre-load "One More Thing" by Little Stevie and the RDF Machine.