Well, Thinksecret has talk about the iPhone again.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0609cingulariphone.html

They seem pretty sure about this.

If true, it leaves the OS X PDA phone out in the cold.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0609cingulariphone.html

They seem pretty sure about this.

If true, it leaves the OS X PDA phone out in the cold.

Damn you i was just about to post that!!!

Anyways I don't like how you have to pay extra for data. Data should be unlimited night and weekends just like talking is, and about 5 dollers for 5 mb per month. 20 bucks for 5mb total is too overpriced. I know I would like to be able to text a lot but it is just so damn expensive when you can just talk instead. Otherwise I guess cingular is okay, even though when we had them about 4 years ago we didn't get service in our own home...\
  • Reply 2 of 21
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shadow Slayer 26

Damn you i was just about to post that!!!

Anyways I don't like how you have to pay extra for data. Data should be unlimited night and weekends just like talking is, and about 5 dollers for 5 mb per month. 20 bucks for 5mb total is too overpriced. I know I would like to be able to text a lot but it is just so damn expensive when you can just talk instead. Otherwise I guess cingular is okay, even though when we had them about 4 years ago we didn't get service in our own home...\

I can always blank it out, if you like.

I don't pay that way from Sprint. Though you can argue as to what data really is.

I do pay for unlimited internet service with EV-DO.

But my plan is complex, so the rate isn't a simple one. I pay $30 for the internet service, for my phone, but as my wife and daughter are on the 2000 minutes a month plan with me, the rate differs. They both pay $20 a month. But, I get the second phone on my plan for free, and my daughters (the third), for just a few bucks.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I don't know if this is something I want.

For one I would rather switch away from the larger phone services. With their restrictive plans and charging extra for the phones natural functionality. Would Apple be able to convince Cingular to allow its phone to be open?

I want to move on to a smart phone. I don't really want a new candy bar phone.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    I think the TS report is interesting, though probably not exactly accurate. The TS report claims 25 million units sold, but this isn't even remotely possible if any type of exclusive deal is reached -- even if there is an exclusive deal reached in each of US, Europe and Asia. I'm also not sold on the 2 inch screen... For a long time now I've believed (with no proof other then my imagination) that all the iPhone and touch-screen iPod rumors were actually one in the same -- kind of like a Palm Treo idea. A 2 inch screen would eliminate that possibility. I guess we'll see what happens, when it happens, if it happens.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Man, it would be nice if Apple would use it's leverage a bit and go with an open phone. I know they're probably getting a lot of money from Cingular on this one, which'll make the shareholders happy, but will it make them happy when three quarters of them have to switch providers if they want the nice white plastic phone?
  • Reply 6 of 21
    We'll certainly see. Using anything other that an EVDO-based service will cripple it. If it's indeed Cingular I'm not going to get one -- I'll be better off with a Nano and a real phone.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    @jdcfsu has a 24" iMac Ah well I hope to have three of them in 2007.

Let's hope the iPhone comes out at Macworld, because I'm so sick and tired of waiting for this... it's getting old at this stage.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell

I don't know if this is something I want.

For one I would rather switch away from the larger phone services. With their restrictive plans and charging extra for the phones natural functionality. Would Apple be able to convince Cingular to allow its phone to be open?

I want to move on to a smart phone. I don't really want a new candy bar phone.

Cingular makes you pay for data by the kbite so that $0.99 song whould trun into a BIG DATA BILL.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass

Man, it would be nice if Apple would use it's leverage a bit and go with an open phone. I know they're probably getting a lot of money from Cingular on this one, which'll make the shareholders happy, but will it make them happy when three quarters of them have to switch providers if they want the nice white plastic phone?

I don't know. does Apple have leverage? If their phones sell like hotcakes, and push other phones off the shelf, they might.

But it really comes down to whether it will result in more subscribers. If Apple can draw 500 thousand new subscribers to Cingular, then they might have leverage. But that still doesn't mean that Cingular would want to allow an open phone to make it easier to switch away again if other phone companies start offering the phone 6 months later.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon

Cingular makes you pay for data by the kbite so that $0.99 song whould trun into a BIG DATA BILL.

Yeah, that's true. BUT, if it falls into one of the Blackberry/Palm data plans then you could get unlimited data IF you were willing to pay for it. I wouldn't be, but I know some people would be. Sometimes I don't like Cingular.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon

I pay $19.99 a month for unlimited data with Cingular.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    If I can't buy my phone and call plan separately, no deal.

And this is how it is for most of the people in Finland.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Alright, I cannot understand what is this frenzy with an Apple mobile phone. And with mobile phones in general.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    dwsdws Posts: 108member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

@jdcfsu has a 24" iMac Ah well I hope to have three of them in 2007.

Let's hope the iPhone comes out at Macworld, because I'm so sick and tired of waiting for this... it's getting old at this stage.

How you can you be "tired of waiting" for a product that Apple has never given any indication that it is working on? You have to try to separate the rumor sites, who are looking for increased ad revenues by manufacturing rumors out of thin air, and the reality of running a large corporation.

Does an iPhone seem like a product that Apple might produce? Sure! Maybe. Someday. Depending on which direction Apple decides they want to go. And, most importantly, they have to have come up with a way to magically eliminate all the frustrations associated with cell phones.

Does anybody really think that Apple would enter a crowded market; unless they had come up with a way to fundamentally improve the genre? It's a given that Apple would come up with a user interface that would be easy to use; but is this enough reason for them to enter the market? I'm not sure.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB

Alright, I cannot understand what is this frenzy with an Apple mobile phone. And with mobile phones in general.

Wouldn't you like to have an iPod and phone in one, so you don't have to take out the headphones if someone calls? There are a few of these out already, but all of them kind of suck.

Imagine also the potential of streaming mobile broadband onto your mac via the iPod phone. It doesn't seem like a big deal, but mac support in this area is damn near abysmal.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    How likely is it that an iPhone released exclusively on Cingular (or whatever network it is) could be unlocked to accept any SIM card? Would standard unlocking boxes be likely to work (the sort that can do existing cell/mobile phones), or would the fact that it would probabaly have Apple software rather than Symbian or whatever make it harder to do?

If you want to see a fun mock-up of an iPhone take a peek at

http://skangerland.blogspot.com
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Longsilver

How likely is it that an iPhone released exclusively on Cingular (or whatever network it is) could be unlocked to accept any SIM card? Would standard unlocking boxes be likely to work (the sort that can do existing cell/mobile phones), or would the fact that it would probabaly have Apple software rather than Symbian or whatever make it harder to do?

If you want to see a fun mock-up of an iPhone take a peek at

http://skangerland.blogspot.com

What SIM card? You are assuming that it uses a SIM card.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

What SIM card? You are assuming that it uses a SIM card.

I'd be surprised if Apple makes a GSM phone without a SIM card in it. If they do, it'll be a horrible mistake on their part.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by axc51

I'd be surprised if Apple makes a GSM phone without a SIM card in it. If they do, it'll be a horrible mistake on their part.

Not if it only goes on sale in the US. For the European market, it would be different.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel

Wouldn't you like to have an iPod and phone in one, so you don't have to take out the headphones if someone calls?

No, but this does not means that your idea is bad. Actually I don't own a mobile phone and I would never buy one, unless this would be an absolute need (for work or something). I find mobile phones too much annoying when they ring while you are outside.