Airport card kinda weak in powerbook?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi everyone,

I recently bought a used 12" 1.5 ghz powerbook off ebay for my youngest son. All is great with it, except that the airport card seems a bit weak. I have an Airport Express base station set up, and two other macs seem to work fine with it, but this one powerbook seems weak. It only shows one bar when it is 25 feet away in open air.

I should also mention that there is strong evidence that this laptop was dropped once by the previous owner, although all works fine.

My other son has an older 12" powerbook, and it seems stronger.....showing a few bars all the way at the other end of the house. His powerbook (and him) are off at college, so I cannot compare both side by side.

what steps can I take to improve settings or reception?

Thank you in advance for any help.

respectfuly, Frank D.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by faithfulFrank

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a used 12" 1.5 ghz powerbook off ebay for my youngest son. All is great with it, except that the airport card seems a bit weak. I have an Airport Express base station set up, and two other macs seem to work fine with it, but this one powerbook seems weak. It only shows one bar when it is 25 feet away in open air.

I should also mention that there is strong evidence that this laptop was dropped once by the previous owner, although all works fine.

My other son has an older 12" powerbook, and it seems stronger.....showing a few bars all the way at the other end of the house. His powerbook (and him) are off at college, so I cannot compare both side by side.

what steps can I take to improve settings or reception?

Thank you in advance for any help.

respectfuly, Frank D.

Tear it apart and replace the airport antenna and cable. There isn't usually a software fix for dropping your laptop. Alternatively, your base station may have a socket for a high gain antenna. That can focus the beam from the base station to smaller, stronger signal area.