New PB G4 worth getting, considering..

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I already have a PM G4 Dual 450Mhz, 500MB Ram, 40 Gig HD running Jaguar. I'm ready to upgrade to a new computer and I am strongly considering the new Powerbook G4, 1Gh w/ Superdrive and 500MB Ram. I mainly use my computer for design purposes (Photoshop, Illustrator, Quark, Flash etc)

Will the Powerbook with its single processor give me a great speed and performance boost over my Dual 450 tower? The fact that I can take it to clients is a real advantage, but if it doesn't run circles around my current tower, which I will be selling to help pay for the new one, then it may not be worth it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    For many tasks, like Quark and other singlethreaded apps, you'll have a great speedboost. But if your intentions are to use OS X and multitask heavily (ps-filters plus Quark etc.), you'll not have the same boost, if any at all.

But I still recommend getting the PB, it will give you a very fast, mobile workstation with all possibilities!
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I had a dual 450 at work and that machine was a rock, never gave me any trouble. OS X loves duals and that really helped back in the early days of 10.0. But the PowerBook will have a faster system bus, L3 cache and a better video card than your tower (unless you have upgraded beyond the 16MB Rage it probably shipped with), so it will take advantage of Quartz Extreme. I would go for the PowerBook.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Thanks. For someone who's never used a portable, it's hard to imagine a 1" thin machine rivaling a tower. The added display is a big bonus, as it would sit beside my CRT on a stand. I do however run Quark, Illustrator, IE, Flash and Photoshop at the same time alot. I'd like to use iDVD to make movies as well.

I'm not looking to out perform the Dual 1.25 Tower, but in most instances the Powerbook would need to outperform my Dual 450. Another concern is this. Can the Powerbook withstand 4-9 hours a day of use and still last a few years?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    GET IT GET IT GET IT!!! THIS THING RULES!!!

Just as fast as my dual gig sometimes!!!