My new iMac 24"! (mini review)

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Yesterday I received my new iMac 24"

First impression: This thing is huge!

Second impression: Phew, no dead/stuck pixels, no weird sound like whining/buzzing/fan sound etc.

Started OS X, and this thing is fast! I got BTO with 2 Gig RAM and the 7600 GFX.

Installed adium and some other programs, everything was fast and snappy.

I then installed WoW, downloaded the latest patch and logged on. I turned all gfx settings to max (except for full screen glow) and the resolution to native 1920*1200 WIDE.

The game was running very smoothly with 30-60 fps framerate. Very impressive! Gaming on the 24" is really something!

Ok, so on to BootCamp.

I´ve read on the apple forum that people are having problem with bootcamp/XP on the 24", the screen goes blank during the installation.

I installed bootcamp 1.1.1, burned the driver CD, and Installed Windows XP. No problem what so ever. After the installation Windows started and I installed the drivers from the CD. Worked like a charm.

I installed F.E.A.R. Multiplayer and played around with the settings, I ran at 1024*768 res with everything maxed, and it was running fairly smoothly. Any higher than 1024*768 was pretty laggy though. But considering that this really isnt a monster gaming machine, I´m very satisfied.

Im gonna try HL2 and Quake4, I think they can run in native res with very good fps.

The screen is friggin bright! It was hurting my eyes a little bit when the room was dark, so I had to turn it down to the lowest setting =)

So that´s it for now... I´m very impressed by this computer!

Here´s a crappy picture - 24" iMac vs 10" laptop =)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 71
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Well done Copse! Glad to hear all is OK. Special thanks for the picture you took. Very rare I would say to see such a comparison. Are you sure this is a 12" laptop and not smaller?
  • Reply 2 of 71
    Hey

Yes you are right, It was a friends laptop and I assumed it was 12", but it actually is 10".

Cheers
  • Reply 3 of 71
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Copse

Hey

Yes you are right, It was a friends laptop and I assumed it was 12", but it actually is 10".

Cheers

OK, thanks. That explains why the iMac diagonal seems 2.5 times bigger than the laptop's.
  • Reply 4 of 71
    Try out Counter-strike and Battlefield 2 would you? hehe I wanna know how they run in windows on this machine - it is what I think I am going to buy myself..

Jeff
  • Reply 5 of 71
    so you have no problems whatsoever with your bootcamp install?
  • Reply 6 of 71
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Nice review Copse! Next job, take a few snaps thanx.
  • Reply 7 of 71
    Hey guys

No problem what so ever with bootcamp, everything works flawless.

Sorry I don´t have CS or BF2. I´m gonna try HL2, and it uses the same engine as CS, should be pretty similar performance.

I´m gonna take a couple of pictures tomorrow, I´ll post them here then!
  • Reply 8 of 71
    How much was it overall?
  • Reply 9 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by playcrackthesky

How much was it overall?

What do you mean? Price?
  • Reply 10 of 71
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member
    i am thinking about getting one of these also. does screen feel too big on desk right in front of you? does it feel like its hard to navigate all over screen or does 24 seem perfect size. does it feel faster than core duo or do you not have experience with first gen intel. thanks for info.
  • Reply 11 of 71
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

I´m gonna take a couple of pictures tomorrow, I´ll post them here then!

Nice, cheers! That other guy, yeah he means price.
  • Reply 12 of 71
    Great buy, man. I'm gathering my pennies to make my purchase soon... mmmmm, delicious 24" screen.... crunchy.
  • Reply 13 of 71
    wow, you really like big icons on the desktop and the dock huge. good for you. that's a really nice machine.
  • Reply 14 of 71
    Hey guys, same story here. I recieved my FIRST mac (imac 24 2 gig ram 2.33 and sexy gpu) and it came about a week before it was suppose to.

I never thought it would be possible to be so impressed with a computer, the thing is great.

After using it for only a few hours (i had 3 hors sleep last night hehe) i was struggling to find reasons to install bootcamp and XP at all. Once you get over windows habits you really appriciate OSX.

WoW ran a treat. Took abit of getting used to mighty mouse.

The only thing that bugged me alittle was one tiny little "stuck" green pixal. I read alittle about being able to get rid of it but it sounds dodgeee. Any comments about that would be cool.
  • Reply 15 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by playcrackthesky

How much was it overall?

3000 dollars. VAT in sweden is 25% =(
  • Reply 16 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by admactanium

wow, you really like big icons on the desktop and the dock huge. good for you. that's a really nice machine.

Heh, that picture was taken a couple of minutes after unpacking. The only thing I changed was the desktop picture =)
  • Reply 17 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gdog

i am thinking about getting one of these also. does screen feel too big on desk right in front of you? does it feel like its hard to navigate all over screen or does 24 seem perfect size. does it feel faster than core duo or do you not have experience with first gen intel. thanks for info.

24" the perfect size... I would say so. Anything bigger would feel weird I think.

It actually feels a little strange navigating across such a big screen, but then again, the computer before this one was a 13,3" MP. I guess you have to get used to it.

CD vs C2D - Can´t really say .. as I said my computer before this one had a 2ghz CD with 1gig ram. This one is 2.16Ghz C2D with 2Gig ram, It feels pretty similar in OS X, the iMac is a little snappier, but it could be the extra RAM.

If you check out benchmarks the C2D is about 10-15% faster than the CD if I´m not misstaken.
  • Reply 18 of 71
    he Copse

And .... HL2 is it good ?
  • Reply 19 of 71
    Quote:

VAT in sweden is 25%

Ouch !

Damnit..and I though the 17.5% in England we had was bad.
  • Reply 20 of 71
    21% in Ireland. We feel your pain (they recently increased it from 20%).