New PB 1Ghz. - Is this for real?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
A friend of mine recently won a new PB G4 1Ghz. on an eBay auction.

The seller contacted him stating the shipping and handling costs would be almost $100.00. When asked, the seller stated that the unit was actually being shipped from the Czech Republic.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? I personally can't imagine this is true.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    [quote]Originally posted by George A. Brozak:

<strong>A friend of mine recently won a new PB G4 1Ghz. on an eBay auction.

The seller contacted him stating the shipping and handling costs would be almost $100.00. When asked, the seller stated that the unit was actually being shipped from the Czech Republic.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? I personally can't imagine this is true.</strong><hr></blockquote>

And I have some swamp land to sell you.

Let's use some common sense here. How or why would any one sell a PB for $100. Even if it was stolen, they'd surely could get a lot more on the street.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by satchmo:

<strong>

And I have some swamp land to sell you.

Let's use some common sense here. How or why would any one sell a PB for $100. Even if it was stolen, they'd surely could get a lot more on the street.</strong><hr></blockquote>

No, the PB wasn't sold for $100.00 -- that was the cost of shipping and handling.

My question is the statement that it was being shipped from the Czech Republic.

[ 11-22-2002: Message edited by: George A. Brozak ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 12
    [quote]shipping and handling costs would be almost $100.00. <hr></blockquote>

He didnt say the machine it self cost only $100.00.

So how much you selling this swamp land for?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    My misunderstanding. I figured it was one of those eBay scams where all you have to do is to pay the shipping costs and you get the item.

As far as it coming from the Czech republic, it's possible. Certainly it could have been purchased somewhere else in Europe, but it still sounds fishy as the 1Ghz Powerbooks have only just started shipping in U.S.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    My scam-o-meter is buzzing.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    scam do not let your friend do it. he WILL be ripped off.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Your friend will be scammed if he send his money, mark my words. Surely he can find one in the US or Canada.

Try getting the money back when the PowerBook doesn't show up - won't happen.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    How about escrow service?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by piwozniak:

<strong>How about escrow service?</strong><hr></blockquote>

The seller won't take an escrow purchase, I bet. If the search function worked, you could witness murbot's travails in his efforts to scam bust. Whatever you do, don't buy it. It's a scam, plain and simple.

edit: what'dya know? The search function does work. Here's a <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=10&t=001894"; target="_blank">good thread</a> to read.

[ 11-23-2002: Message edited by: torifile ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Just to let everyone know, this sale was determined by eBay to be a fraud. When alerted (after the sale) they locked the user out. "handsomehart" told them his/her account was "taken over" by an unknown third party without their permission (yeah, right), so right now I do not know the resolution.

No money was exchanged, thankfully.

Hopefully, eBay will not allow them back. But be on the watch for them, just in case!
  • Reply 11 of 12
    ok, over the summer i tried buying a powerbook over ebay.... OMG !! there are sooo many fraud powerbook auctions. i think i won about 6 auctions all togeather and not 1 auction went through... i was actually almost stupid enough to wire the money to one of them but the bank cancelled the wire cuz the account numbers didnt match names, damn i was luckey. i dont know why there are so many bad powerbook auctions, this is the only item i have had a problem buying... anyway i never bought a powerbook on ebay, but i have ordered a new powerbook directly from apple. i'm not takin the chance to get ripped off thousands of dollars again.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=10&t=003214"; target="_blank">Official eBay Scam Police Thread</a>