Gaming ipod... start photoshoping now

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
anybody who knows photoshop... wanna make a gaming ipod picture??

Ok, so although Apple going into handheld gaming ( as in an actual DS competitor ) is probably too far-fetched, but then again Apple has done crazier things.

so this is my newest spec/design list for a gaming ipod. I am sure I am not the first one to post about one, but I would like to see what photoshops people could come up with.

also if someone could photoshop my design, it would be very appreciated.

I really wish I was good at photoshop....

but it would have

4 inch screen ( widescreen, I think 5 inch would be too big in the pocket )

scroll wheel on left ( 8 directional instead of 4, but still only 4 functions, play,menu,rew,fastf)

2 buttons on the right ( gameboy style, b button would be - and a button would be + ) These 2 buttons would also double as volume down/up( finally! )

still wouldn't have speakers though ( unlike most handhelds ) so would require headphones. ( would save space so it could still be as thin as a ds lite )

actually the design would look pretty similiar to a DS lite's bottom half, only with a scroll wheel, bigger screen, and less buttons.

It would have a 100gb harddrive and games from all publishers would be available directly from ITS.

It would have graphics about as good as a psp.

It would have built in bluetooth/WLan/Wifi. ( maybe only Wifi? )

can't wait to see other good ideas from people.8)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    -- Null --
  • Reply 2 of 23
    Um.... I really don't think Apple would ever make a product like this.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    i hope they dont. nokia learned there leasson and apple would learn the same lesson very fast.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    i did actually read an article in electronic gaming monthly about how apple was going to do this very thing. i was skeptical, but it seemed interesting. i have no idea where they got their info from, but it seems like it wasn't too reliable, since this is really the first mentioning of it since that article, and this thread isn't connected to that...
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by exhibit_13

i did actually read an article in electronic gaming monthly about how apple was going to do this very thing. i was skeptical, but it seemed interesting. i have no idea where they got their info from, but it seems like it wasn't too reliable, since this is really the first mentioning of it since that article, and this thread isn't connected to that...

I know they would probably never make one, but I think it would be cool if the had an ipod that just so happened to also play games. ( they would already have the player with horizontal controls, so just had a few buttons and beefed up processor, and it could play games )

if you think about it, they could add most of this for a minimal cost increase, all they would need is....

a) 8-directional click wheel instead of 4

b) 2 buttons on right side ( could double as volume buttons )

c) better processor ( would mostly be ds-like games, nothing big, just fun to pick up and play)

I think it would actually look pretty good. ( remember this would be a widescreen-pmp ipod. not like the ipod videos now ) so it would look different but still have a great design.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shady104

i hope they dont. nokia learned there leasson and apple would learn the same lesson very fast.

problems with N-gage. Number one it was a phone and nobody wants to waste phone battery on games.

Number two they still relied on the old cartridge format, gaming ipod would be virtual downloads off of Itunes.

Number three, it came out at the wrong time and without enough support.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The gaming iPod will be the thouch screen iPod/iPhone, and the games will be downloadable to the iTV
  • Reply 8 of 23
    I'm not convinced Apple will want to get any deeper into the gaming market than the iPhone or iPod could support (as secondary to the main function of the product).
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

I'm not convinced Apple will want to get any deeper into the gaming market than the iPhone or iPod could support (as secondary to the main function of the product).

Interesting article here!
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

Interesting article here!

see that is exactly what I am talking about. ( I was refering to handheld, but it could be a console too, and still be all digital downloads )

if they could add a few things, while still at its core being a multimedia device ( gaming is a media ) then I think it would be really successful. Unlike psp which was mostly about gaming and not enough about music and pictures. ( although pretty successful at first with movies )

Apple could do all this and so much more if they would just open up the ipod to game development.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woody56292

see that is exactly what I am talking about. ( I was refering to handheld, but it could be a console too, and still be all digital downloads )

if they could add a few things, while still at its core being a multimedia device ( gaming is a media ) then I think it would be really successful. Unlike psp which was mostly about gaming and not enough about music and pictures. ( although pretty successful at first with movies )

Apple could do all this and so much more if they would just open up the ipod to game development.

All in good time woody, all in good time. There's a plan going on behind the scenes here. Did anyone else notice that all of these new things are circling around the release of Leopard?
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

All in good time woody, all in good time. There's a plan going on behind the scenes here. Did anyone else notice that all of these new things are circling around the release of Leopard?

That was another thing I was thinking about. Apple seems to be all about Entertainment. Being a one stop shop for all your entertainment needs. Will we one day see a Games for Mac service to counter Games for Windows? or an Apple console/extender or multimedia hanheld?

It is the logical next step, and online downloading and purchase of games through ITS will be the breakthrough.8)
  • Reply 13 of 23
    comeon nobody even wants to make a photoshopped image.... just wild speculation here.

I guess nobody does have an interest in an Apple handheld. ( anybody here gamers? )
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Okay, okay, I'll bite...

Here's a mochup of an ipod gaming edition that takes mini-CD:

And here's a portable flip-screen version that taks cartridges:

I'm working on a revision of that last one, with two screens and a stylus...
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

Okay, okay, I'll bite...

hahaha thats classic!
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:

Ooh, put in a microphone so I can blow on it in certain gimmicky games!
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:

Okay, okay, I'll bite...

rofl touche.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:

I guess nobody does have an interest in an Apple handheld. ( anybody here gamers? )

Maybe.

Or just maybe, nobody has an interest in mocking up a prototype in Photoshop based on the "wild speculation" of a over-caffienated newbie?

Do you have any idea of how Photoshop works, or how much time it would take someone to do what you're asking?
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco

Maybe.

Or just maybe, nobody has an interest in mocking up a prototype in Photoshop based on the "wild speculation" of a over-caffienated newbie?

Do you have any idea of how Photoshop works, or how much time it would take someone to do what you're asking?

no, I don't. But I assumed people photoshopped for fun... I thought someone might want to photoshop a new, fresh concept, rather than another iphone/true video ipod mockup.

Also, can you recommend a good tutorial for photoshop? I would be happy to learn more about it.

p.s. 4 mountain dews is not over-caffienated. (/sarcasm)
  • Reply 20 of 23
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    Quote:

no, I don't. But I assumed people photoshopped for fun... I thought someone might want to photoshop a new, fresh concept, rather than another iphone/true video ipod mockup.

Also, can you recommend a good tutorial for photoshop? I would be happy to learn more about it.

p.s. 4 mountain dews is not over-caffienated. (/sarcasm)

The best tutorial is first hand experience.

- Xidius