2007 - what will we be able to buy?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Thinking forward to 2007 I can't help feeling that it could be a big year for Apple but I'm not sure what 'big' really means!

Does anybody have an idea what new - undiscovered products could be on the way. I'm not thinking 'wish lists', I'm talking about the evolution of existing models or all new left-field stuff that we all might of missed, whilst looking in the direction of iPhones etc?

The classic example I'd use is the 'Cube'...

Or is it going to be a year of subtle disappointments?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    How about a home network storage device with RAID, etc. called MacVault??? If this doesn't happen I will not have any room to buy any movies or TV Shows from iTunes.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Things you will be able to buy:

1. Standalone iTV

2. All your TV-type entertainment from the iTS (no more cable!)

3. The flexible-latex iPod nano 3. Available in white, black, and black with metal studs. Well, ok, perhaps not, but enhancements to all the iPods will be on the cards. Maybe Bluetooth and Wifi? That'd rock, no pun intended.

4. Vista

5. Mac OS X 1.5 "Leopard"

6. An iPod sock (Ok, it was already announced, but maybe you'll be able to afford one.)

7. Some kind of Sony games console something or other.

8. Wii!!!!!!!!

9. Universal Binaries for all Adobe and Microsoft Office programs.

10. Some expensive Apple-branded iPod docks with speakers.

Things you'll not be able to buy:

1. The iPhone.

2. A Powerbook G5.

3. A Mac for under $1,000 with a decent graphics card, or even the possibility of having a decent graphics card.

4. A Mac Tablet

5. An Apple PDA

6. AmigaOS 4.0

7. A pair of iPod socks that never gets lost.

8. An affordable Playstation 3

9. All your old Mac games, UB'd

10. An interesting, innovative, computer (from anyone.) Apple's switch to Intel was their way of saying "Ok, the eighties are over"
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peharri

8. Wii!!!!!!!!

The Wii comes out in november. November 19th actually.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macvault

How about a home network storage device with RAID, etc. called MacVault??? If this doesn't happen I will not have any room to buy any movies or TV Shows from iTunes.

I just picked one of these up. Quiet 4 disk array - RAID. Good starting point for MacVault dreams.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    I'm betting on redesigned Mac Pro's and Macbook Pro's.

The Mac pro is still using that industrial, elephant sized casing used to keep the G5 cool and the MBP is still shifting the old stock of PB cases with ye olde latch system.

Once the old stock has shifted, new enclosures please!
  • Reply 6 of 17
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    SED displays:

http://www.digitalworldtokyo.com/200..._late_2007.php

Affordable Blu-Ray?

Introduction of commercially available HVD?:

http://www.cdr-zone.com/news/optware...tion_2007.html

Macs with quad core chips.

I would sometimes like new enclosures for the machines too. I'd just hate for them to mess it up.

I'd like brushed metal Macbooks in black and white instead of plastic. Same goes for the iMac and the stand would match - they would also be chinless. The Mac Pro as mentioned should be a lot smaller. It's far bigger than even an average PC tower. But then again, could you fit 4 HDs, 4 GPUs, 4 Ram slots, two processors and the fans needed to cool all that into anything smaller?

I'd like the Mini to be completely metal with latches or screws so it can be opened easily.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by playcrackthesky

The Wii comes out in november. November 19th actually.

Indeed, which is why I'm pretty certain you'll be able to buy it in 2007. (Well, they could withdraw it in Deember, but I'm sure it'll be available on eBay if that's the case.)

The PS3 is supposedly coming out before the end of the year too.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Zune! There will be no shortage as we roll into 2007. Check for them at Overstock.com and your local flea market.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:

Indeed, which is why I'm pretty certain you'll be able to buy it in 2007. (Well, they could withdraw it in Deember, but I'm sure it'll be available on eBay if that's the case.)

The PS3 is supposedly coming out before the end of the year too.

depends where you live. in europe, MARCH!!!! those bastards.....
  • Reply 10 of 17
    My brother recently decided to give my old G4 iMac a bath...

Idiot.

His home insurance are getting a new one sorted but the people seemed sure Apple were going to be updating the iMac line up with 17" going to 19" and the 20" going to 21", can't find any information about this anyplace so anyone else think its just stupid speculation?

Seems unlikely.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    i'm hoping for an MBP with something like this in it:

http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news...notebooks.html

(or the BR equiv, or better, an hybrid drive!), with pro software to match...

sennen
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macvault

They won't do it, just to spite your name.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:

1. Standalone iTV

2. All your TV-type entertainment from the iTS (no more cable!)

3. The flexible-latex iPod nano 3. Available in white, black, and black with metal studs. Well, ok, perhaps not, but enhancements to all the iPods will be on the cards. Maybe Bluetooth and Wifi? That'd rock, no pun intended.

4. Vista

5. Mac OS X 1.5 "Leopard"

6. An iPod sock (Ok, it was already announced, but maybe you'll be able to afford one.)

7. Some kind of Sony games console something or other.

8. Wii!!!!!!!!

9. Universal Binaries for all Adobe and Microsoft Office programs.

10. Some expensive Apple-branded iPod docks with speakers.

1. The iPhone.

2. A Powerbook G5.

3. A Mac for under $1,000 with a decent graphics card, or even the possibility of having a decent graphics card.

4. A Mac Tablet

5. An Apple PDA

6. AmigaOS 4.0

7. A pair of iPod socks that never gets lost.

8. An affordable Playstation 3

9. All your old Mac games, UB'd

10. An interesting, innovative, computer (from anyone.) Apple's switch to Intel was their way of saying "Ok, the eighties are over"

Since I was so sick of the dung level on the iTV thread, I don't know if anyone has already mentioned this... but... I wonder if Apple, in it's evident quest to usurp pay cable, video on demand & DVD rentals (no small task) will offer what amounts to a "subscription" at a reduced rate for all content on a multi-pass format. This could be very attractive to those wanting to eject their multitudinous subscriptions and rentals.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    peharripeharri Posts: 169member
    Quote:

4. A Mac Tablet

5. An Apple PDA

I'm striking the two above from my list. I think it's possible, though I wouldn't say "likely" yet, that we'll see one, the other, or an interesting mix of the two similar to the Nokia 770.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    I'm looking forward to the iPhone and iTV.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    A set-on-top box iITV + MacMini.

My biggest wish though: An subscription alternative to cable tv directly through broadband via the box. Subscription service that included normal cable tv channels, full dvr capabilities on channels purchased, and full iTunes compatibility for purchase and rental. Price. Expensive. But I pay $600 a year already for digital cable, and I view about 20% (if that) of the channels and about 1% of the programming on the near 200 channels. Oh yeah. In HD.

If only 5 Mbps was enough to accomplish that. Lol
  • Reply 17 of 17
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    ProMac with octacore and memory with less latency that the curreent MB support,