What is the iPhone hype about?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I'm serious, I'm not trying to troll or anything. It's just that in my lifetime so far I've owned several Nokia phones, a motorola and a samsumg (my current) phone. I've never had a problem with any of them as far as usability or reception or even looks.

So what exacty is and iPhone going to be all about and why is everyone so hyped about getting one? Just seems to me there are a lot of really nice phones out there already. What exactly could Apple do that would make their's better? Or is it really just a fanboy thing where people want an Apple logo on their phone? Because that's kind of what it seems like. I haven't heard anyone explain so far what they think an iPhone would do that would make it stand above the rest.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Ya I have no idea either.... I think it's just a curiousity of how they are going to pull it off more than a desire to own one.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ApplePi

So what exacty is and iPhone going to be all about and why is everyone so hyped about getting one? Just seems to me there are a lot of really nice phones out there already. What exactly could Apple do that would make their's better? Or is it really just a fanboy thing where people want an Apple logo on their phone? Because that's kind of what it seems like. I haven't heard anyone explain so far what they think an iPhone would do that would make it stand above the rest.

Haha! It's all about money!

Because it's becoming more popular to combine flash music players and phones. Many people don't want two devices, rather they'd pay a premium and have one. Apple is losing a bit of the music player market share - which could spiral if it doesn't act. The phone market is enormous even 1-2% is a lot of phones (revenue) - with iTunes on.

Because syncing currently is not perfect with phones and OSX - it's OK but it aint perfect (at least on Motorola). With Apple iPhone you can expect perfect iCal/Mail/Address book/iTunes syncing as it'll be the same app on the phone.

Speculation. I don't know about the likelyhood of the rest however an elegant combination of mobile and VOIP could be possible and would be popular.

Yes sure sucking some more money off the fan boys... What compney wouldn't do that.. If they had such a base...?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    1. Combination of phone and iPod

Some other phones have music players, but they don't link up to iTunes as easily as a real iPod.

2. iTunes games

You can get games on other phones, but when I tried to put Doom on my SE P800, it crashed

the phone. I know that the games will work with the apple phone (and hopefully they will

add Galaga to the downloadable games).

3. Cool industrial design

Not unique in industry, but nice anyway.

4. Flawless sync with iSync

My P800 sometimes gets confused and loses appointments, and I still can't figure out how to sync pictures off the phone.

I don't know if I will buy the first phone, but when they come up with a touch screen version (to match the coming touch screen iPod), then I will get one for sure (assuming that it is 4-band GSM and not CDMA).
  • Reply 4 of 8
    It's really nothing more than the fact the mobile phone is a tech gadget we all use, where aesthetics and user-friendliness are major defining points, and as such is the kind of thing many people automatically think "Apple" about. Ironically, if mobile phones sucked - if the UIs were worse than ever, the styles were butt-ugly, etc, I don't think anyone would think "Apple" at all.

Couple that with the fact many people have iPods and resent carrying around multiple gadgets, and you have enough people obsessed with the idea that you have a source of revenue for any Apple rumours site willing to make up bullshit and sell advertising on the pages that show it. You also have a sure-fire way of ensuring that Apple can identify "leakers" by planting bogus information about the product in suspects knowing that the rumour sites will publish anything.

Before anyone accuses me of being cynical, remember you're reading a forum on a rumours site that was prepared to publish a story that Steve Jobs is going around telling everyone how great the iPhone is. Seriously. Because, like, that's how he rolls. He's never been excited by anything before, apparently, but a new cellphone has made him break out of that shell and forget Apple's long standing reliance upon secrecy. Sure. Right.

From a business point of view, the iPhone makes no sense. But it tickles the fancy of those who hear about it. It's an iPod and a phone. In a market reknowned for differentiation by style and user-friendliness, it is a mythical product from a company legendary for its work in both. Nobody knows what the hell an iPhone would look like if it existed, but we know we'd want one.

So begins the obsession, a lusting over the pleasures of the imagination.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    I'd be happy to lay out the case for an Apple iPod phone.

Which, btw, I think is real as rain and coming pretty soon (my guess is early '07).

From Apple's perspective: increasingly sleek and attractive mp3-playing phones (Sony-Ericsson Walkman phones, Chocolate, etc) are gaining in popularity and beginning -- just beginning -- to eat into the iPod's marketshare. Apple needs to compete with these devices ASAP or risk ceding iPod marketshare to them.

From the user's perspective: there's a slew of nice-looking phones out there, but the UI on many (if not all) of these vary hugely in quality and coherence. Some of the UIs are just OK, some are weak, and some are jaw-droppingly awful. When you do find a UI that's all right, chances are good the phone itself isn't that exciting. IOW: you've got a big muddle. So Apple has a opportunity here to introduce a phone that looks great and *works* great.... and of course uniquely plays iTS music/videos. I also expect them to especially focus on syncing and connecting an iPod phone to your Mac/PC, something that Mac users have to had suffer an awful experience for years now.

Some cell phones are neat, but as a whole, they're not nearly as good as they could be. (How many people love their cell phone like they love their iPod?) I think Apple, if they play their cards right, could have some unique things to offer to the category.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Well, for me it is ease of use. I do not have to press various combinations of buttons or scroll through various menus to do what I want. I bought it only because of that.

After I bought it I was surprised that I could occasionally leave my laptop at home or in the office when I only needed to use email, and check news on the internet. I had used phones before with internet capability but none were nearly as easy and pleasant to use as the iPhone. And a further bonus for Apple users who use iTunes, iCal, and Mail is the easy configuration and synchronization- automatic really.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Are there plans for Apple to make this more friendly to the business community? I like the all in one aspect but I don't think it would work as well as a Treo or Blackberry for a heavy business user. Am I missing something?

Apple could really get their stock price moving northward if they were able to attract the business community.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    You know theirs two types of phones: There's the iPhone and there's everything else.

The iPhone is amazing, it can do almost anything. I got the number and address of a store that my friend was talking to the person inside the store. It syncs everything on your computer and it's really nice. Trust me you will not be disappointed if you just play with this thing for one hour, to get the full feel with it.