iPhone Cingular exclusive??? Aw, *$#@!!!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Think Secret claims the upcoming iPhone will be a Cingular exclusive... I won't post the link, since everyone knows how to get there.

My POV on this is.... balls. I have T-Mobile, and I'm sticking with it. I used to have Sprint, hated it and changed. I've heard many complaints about Verizon, but I haven't heard any stories plus or minus personally about Cingular.

When do I get my bloody iPhone for T-Mo, Apple?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Well, you can buy the phone from Cingular and use it with T-Mobile--except ... Except that the iPhone is a rumor that Mac fans pulled out of their butts. Remember that just a couple of weeks ago, Motorola introduced a new iTunes-enabled RAZR as a Cingular-exclusive. Following the ROKR and SLVR, this was the third iTunes-enabled Motorola cell phone. The rumored iPhone would place Apple into direct competition with its hardware partner. What's more, its provider partner Cingular would go along with it. Let us not forget that Cingular usually gets first dibs on Motorola's new stuff.

Sorry, but I just don't see this happening.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Well, considering that T-Mobile and Cingular use the same towers, if you like the service you're getting right now it really shouldn't be that big of a deal. Besides, your contract will probably be up by the time Apple releases the iPhone anyways. Just switch whenever you want to buy the phone. The service will be exactly the same.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    this doesnt seem like something that apple would do. why limit their consumer base to cingular customers and lose more control over their products?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SteveGTA

this doesnt seem like something that apple would do. why limit their consumer base to cingular customers and lose more control over their products?

IF it happens, it's the only way they can do it. Apple's not gonna build their own network... they'll create a virtual network that piggybacks on one of the existing wireless companies (the same way ESPN and a bunch of others have done.) They'll contract with Cingular (or whoever) to provide Apple branded service... And Cingular makes sense, since they already have the largest group of mobile iTunes users.

2 cents.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood

The service will be exactly the same.

Um no... their rate structure is way different. For instance I get 3000 any time minutes for 49 a month with T-Mobile... Cingular offers nothing even close to this.

BTW cool name... monkey island ftw
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647

Um no... their rate structure is way different. For instance I get 3000 any time minutes for 49 a month with T-Mobile... Cingular offers nothing even close to this.

That's a damn good plan. Was that a special offer or something? T-Mobile's website isn't turning up anything close. I've looked in Family, Individual, and Business. For $50 you're looking at 1000 minutes. Cingular is offering 900 minutes for $60, so T-Mobile is still the better deal.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647

BTW cool name... monkey island ftw

Thanks for the name shoutout.

But when I was talking about service, I was mainly referring to coverage. Rate plans come and go, and each company always goes back and forth on competitive rate changing and promo offers whenever they get the chance. T-Mobile may be cheaper at first, but you forgot to mention Cingular's RollOver minute program. That in itself is a option that no other major carrier offers.

Also, I highly doubt you would be able to use an iPhone with full features on a local or regional plan like yours. With all the extra options, you'd have to pay at least an extra 15 bucks a month, and even then your service would only apply to a regional contract.

BTW, I am not a Cingular customer. I just used to work for both T-Mobile and Cingular...