Education Discount Question

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Got a question about the Education Discount...

Apple states that you are allowed to buy one desktop per academic school year. However, I bought a MacPro in August, before my school started classes. I want to buy an iMac right now, will I be able to use my education discount for it? Techincally, it is a new school year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Tough to say.

The terms of the offer don't specify the duration of an "academic school year."

I guess the issue is what constitutes an academic school year according to your university.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Well...you're the law student. Constitute it!

Just dub thee worthy and so mote it be!
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood

Got a question about the Education Discount...

Apple states that you are allowed to buy one desktop per academic school year. However, I bought a MacPro in August, before my school started classes. I want to buy an iMac right now, will I be able to use my education discount for it? Techincally, it is a new school year.

I recommend you pop into your local Apple Store, and pop the question.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Just buy it, don't worry. I just bought a Mac Pro and iMac under the student discount (same order), never noticed a thing. I guess it just goes through like any other order, just at a lower price.

I was also under the impression that the {canadian} Edu Store allowed you to buy one of each kind of item, so you shouldn't have any problems.

Noah
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Never mind, that is the Canadian Store, the US store is dfferent.

Quote:

Purchase Quantity

Faculty, Staff and Students purchasing from the Apple Store for Education Individuals will be allowed to purchase the foll owing quantities of product per academic school year:

1. Desktop: One (1) may be purchased per academic year

2. Mac mini: One (1) may be purchased per academic year

3. Notebook: One (1) may be purchased per academic year

4. Display: A maximum of two (2) may be purchased p er academic year

5. Software: A maximum of two (2) per software title may be purchased per academic year

6. iSight: One (1) may be purchased per academic year

• Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noah93

haha mac mini isnt a desktop? edu discount is so good. saved so much on my macbook. very very pleased.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noah93

So...what are you saying then?
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Common sense people:

Standard Year = 365 days: Example) 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009

Academic Year = Start of first term to end of second term. (Assuming your school does semesters).
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Yeah, well it doesn't. So thanks for your common sense advice.

It's obvious the question can't be answered fully without contacting Apple. I was just hoping by posting this that someone has done it before. I guess the COMMON SENSE thing to do would just find out for myself. In addition, I was just curious. It's not like I wouldn't try it anyways...
  • Reply 10 of 12
    You need not worry about this. Apple doesn't ask questions about the EDU discount. There will be no problem if you just order it.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

Yeah, well it doesn't. So thanks for your common sense advice.

It's obvious the question can't be answered fully without contacting Apple. I was just hoping by posting this that someone has done it before. I guess the COMMON SENSE thing to do would just find out for myself. In addition, I was just curious. It's not like I wouldn't try it anyways...

Well it is common sense. And Apple won't bother you about it anyways.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

So...what are you saying then?

I am saying that in the Candaian Edu store, you are able to buy one of everythong, 1 iMac, 1 MacPro, etc...

While in the US store, you are only allowe to buy 1 desktop, 1 laptop, etc...

Anyways, I have recently ordered 2 Nanos, and 2 desktops, and have never had an issue with them.

Noah