New iPod in October

Comments

• Reply 41 of 105
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes

Apple is selling 640x 480 movies to show on a 320x240 screen(?) - hmm, me thinks a bigger screen is coming.

Because god forbid we have half-decent resolution for watching it on our computers.
  • Reply 42 of 105
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murk

Think Secret thinks it might be coming before Christmas.http://thinksecret.com/secretnotes/

I believe it is coming before Christmas too.
  • Reply 43 of 105
    Might it look like this?

• Reply 44 of 105
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    That is how I pictured the touch screen multi-funtion device from the recent patents. Click a button on the side and that virtual scrollwheel changes to a keypad. Now you have an iPhone. Click it again...

I know I sound like a broken record but let's not forget October 23rd is the 5th anniversary of the iPod.
  • Reply 45 of 105
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    I still have hope of something like the above before end of October.

It would be very nice to have it for Xmas.

The video ipods are nice but not much of a departure from last year. It's time to have something more interesting widescreen specially now if the Zune approaching. (by the way, I think the Zune will bomb).
  • Reply 46 of 105
    I've said it before...I believe Zune will be a terrible force in the global market thanks to connectivity, subscription based service (+regular 1$ downloads), larger screen and the mighty Microsoft marketing leverage.

That's why I believe that Apple will reply with sort of a true iPod video, to play on the announced <going to the movies> strategy. I also don't think that the iPod video will be the iPhone. Too much function integration could heart product identity but who knows?

Check this from Computerworld ... "Opinion: Why Microsoft's Zune scares Apple to the core"
  • Reply 47 of 105
    And I also strongly believe - as said in this thread - that Apple should reconsider its stance on subscription... I know that it will probably hurt the core iTunes business, but that it offers a great deal of convenienence to customers and it is also great for record companies...
  • Reply 48 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariuscosmos

Check this from Computerworld ... "Opinion: Why Microsoft's Zune scares Apple to the core"

Meh, he's entitled to his opinion....However, my favorite "reason why Apple is scared" is this one.

Quote:

2. The Zune is social and viral.

Truer words have never been spoken about MS. Just wait and see HOW viral!

• Reply 49 of 105
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdnc101

I hope not. Poor people that got the 'new' 5Gs would be ripped off.

Wouldn't bother me that much. I happy with my new 80 GB iPod as is, a nice upgrade from my old 60 GB iPod photo. The bigger, sharper, brighter display, the larger HD capacity, and... what I've been waiting for for years... GAPLESS PLAYBACK, all make me quite happy with this iPod, even if Apple comes up with something even newer right away.

For me, music is the key thing. I've so far played about 10 seconds worth of a music video just to see what it looked like playing. If anything new comes out soon, chances are the emphasis will be on video, and that wouldn't much matter to me. I'd actively DISLIKE the idea of a touch screen iPod, even if it meant a bigger display. I prefer tactile buttons, and not smearing my display with fingerprints.
  • Reply 50 of 105
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariuscosmos

And I also strongly believe - as said in this thread - that Apple should reconsider its stance on subscription... I know that it will probably hurt the core iTunes business, but that it offers a great deal of convenienence to customers and it is also great for record companies...

Yep. They get to tax you the rest of your life. After 30 most people don't buy or listen to new music. It's a proven psychological event. It doesn't happen for everyone, and certainly not for me, but it does for most. Record companies know this. Pay hundreds of dollars a year to listen to the same old crap. Why wouldn't they love that. Actually, Apple would probably make more money on songs also, so maybe someday they will offer it. It's just not the best deal for most people.
  • Reply 51 of 105
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cato988

Oh btw....

WHY THE HELL DO THEY THINK THAT BROWN LOOKS GOOD?! youve got to be kidding me haha

BECAUSE IT LOOKS LIKE POO!!!1!! LOLOL!!!11 OMG!!11

8) \
  • Reply 52 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

Because god forbid we have half-decent resolution for watching it on our computers.

Are you saying VGA is an acceptable resolution for watching *wide-screen* movies on your Mac? Because for less then the cost of the download (if they ever come to the UK) I can buy the DVD and rip it in 720 x 405(16:9) as required.
  • Reply 53 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco

BECAUSE IT LOOKS LIKE POO!!!1!! LOLOL!!!11 OMG!!11

8) \

I actually like the brown color....
  • Reply 54 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woody56292

No, it is not the screen I am excited about. It is the software/features that excite me. Wifi sharing is going to be like wlan for the ds, great if you can find somebody, useless feature if you can't. But the zune store ( with both subscription and buy it service ), the software ( gui looks amazing, wmp11 > itunes, so I am sure zune store will be modeled after wmp11, then not to mention the media center/360 connectivity )

oh and look at this advertisment, MS is clearly getting better at the whole viral video thing.

Coming Zune- rocking birds

edit: ofcourse they still can't touch Apple when it comes to commercials

ummm have u even used WMP11 its horrible! worst music player ever to sort your music in. they tried to copy itunes and failed! also i think the wifi is a stupid gimmick. its on the DS and its on the psp and i NEVER see poeple on the streeet using it. its a small niche market.
  • Reply 55 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shady104

ummm have u even used WMP11 its horrible! worst music player ever to sort your music in. they tried to copy itunes and failed! also i think the wifi is a stupid gimmick. its on the DS and its on the psp and i NEVER see poeple on the streeet using it. its a small niche market.

The question is have you? I guess to each his own. I just always find Itunes a pain to manage my music in. WMP11 is superior in my mind. However unless the Zune Marketplace is as good as WMP11, I will probably be sticking to itunes for downloads. And I specifically said that wifi is greatif you can find people. I even said that it was horrible if you couldn't ( like I can never find anybody who has a ds at the same time as me. )

However I see people with ipods all the time, so if zune ever caught on like ipods did ( please try to not laught, it is hypothetical ) it would be great. Makes me wonder if Apple will do it. ( I hope so )

How can you possibly think that WMP11 is the worst music player? that is an obvious fanboy comment. I atleast examine both sides weaknesses and strengths.
  • Reply 56 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woody56292

The question is have you? I guess to each his own. I just always find Itunes a pain to manage my music in. WMP11 is superior in my mind. However unless the Zune Marketplace is as good as WMP11, I will probably be sticking to itunes for downloads. And I specifically said that wifi is greatif you can find people. I even said that it was horrible if you couldn't ( like I can never find anybody who has a ds at the same time as me. )

However I see people with ipods all the time, so if zune ever caught on like ipods did ( please try to not laught, it is hypothetical ) it would be great. Makes me wonder if Apple will do it. ( I hope so )

How can you possibly think that WMP11 is the worst music player? that is an obvious fanboy comment. I atleast examine both sides weaknesses and strengths.

no actually i have both on my PC yea i dont use a mac so im deff not a fanboy. i just find it confusing and horribly laid out. itunes is sooo simplistic!
  • Reply 57 of 105
    perhaps someone with knowledge could answer this question accurately. but there is a bit of an intro. apple increased the battery life on the video ipods by quite an bit. i mean, from 2 to 3.5hrs is quite impressive, and there's a brighter screen. now, here it comes, how would a screen twice the size with wireless affect battery life? furthermore, how long do you reckon they could increase the battery life again. by that i mean like when they increased the battery in the video ipod recently.
  • Reply 58 of 105
    with reference to the post above.

or should i just go and get an itrip, plug it in, have it going untill the battery on the ipod wares out, divide it by 2.5 or something to find out.
  • Reply 59 of 105
    Yeah, about the whole "iPod before Xmas thing"

From thinksecret,

"Last week, Think Secret sources reported Apple was pushing engineers in the hope of being able to release its next-generation iPod ahead of this year's holiday buying season. While informants had stressed at the time that the company was up against an intimidating timeline for doing so—and that the odds were against a Christmas release—they now say the possibility of a 2006 announcement is all but out of the question.

Without divulging details—which sources requested we withhold to protect their anonymity—the word is Apple missed a crucial window in the development cycle of the product to ensure delivery this year.

An announcement at Macworld Expo San Francisco 2007 in early January once again seems the most likely venue for Apple to showcase what will be its flagship digital media player for some time."

Link: http://thinksecret.com/secretnotes/ (secret note #2)
  • Reply 60 of 105
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    For the folks who think "WiFi connectivity" is going to be the distinguishing feature of the Zune-- you do know that the MS press stuff makes it clear that the "sharing" DRM flag is only going to be turned on for "promotional" songs and they only last 3 days, at that, right?

So that seems to me to be a tough hill to climb: early adopter finally finds someone else with a Zune to "share" with and discovers that they are limited to sharing what the labels want to flog.

Not going to make for good word of mouth, I would think. And early impressions are awfully hard to shake. If "the WiFi thing is a joke" takes hold, forget it.