10.4.8 out, could this contain Magical Mystery MeromBookPro Module

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I just grabbed 10.4.8 off of Software Update (I am actually looking for Aperture 1.5, so I've been checking Software Update frequently these last few days). Could the release of 10.4.8 be what was holding back the Merom MacBook Pros? Many new Macs need new OS versions to run (as I recall, the Mac Pro demands the concurrently released 10.4.7). I know that there is a way to check what machines a given OS version supports, although my copy of 10.4.8 won't do any good because I have a PowerPC PowerBook - can some Intel user check whether there is any mention of new MacBook Pros in there? If so, I bet that next Tuesday is the day (they may have been planned for Photokina, but 10.4.8 wasn't ready in time). If not, they're probably coming later on with a "silent" OS release (not called 10.4.9, not needed on anything but a Merom portable). They wouln't release a semi-major update like 10.4.8, then a "silent" OS right away (within a week or two), would they? I'm guessing that if the new machines are mentioned in 10.4.8, they're for Tuesday, and if not, they're at least three weeks off. I sure hope they support >2GB of RAM and maybe a higher resolution screen (those are what I'm really after, not Merom).

-Dan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dan Wells

I just grabbed 10.4.8 off of Software Update (I am actually looking for Aperture 1.5, so I've been checking Software Update frequently these last few days). Could the release of 10.4.8 be what was holding back the Merom MacBook Pros? Many new Macs need new OS versions to run (as I recall, the Mac Pro demands the concurrently released 10.4.7). I know that there is a way to check what machines a given OS version supports, although my copy of 10.4.8 won't do any good because I have a PowerPC PowerBook - can some Intel user check whether there is any mention of new MacBook Pros in there? If so, I bet that next Tuesday is the day (they may have been planned for Photokina, but 10.4.8 wasn't ready in time). If not, they're probably coming later on with a "silent" OS release (not called 10.4.9, not needed on anything but a Merom portable). They wouln't release a semi-major update like 10.4.8, then a "silent" OS right away (within a week or two), would they? I'm guessing that if the new machines are mentioned in 10.4.8, they're for Tuesday, and if not, they're at least three weeks off. I sure hope they support >2GB of RAM and maybe a higher resolution screen (those are what I'm really after, not Merom).

-Dan

You know, it's not uncommon to see special builds of the current OS version adapted to newly released hardware.

In fact...new hardware is almost always released with a special build of the current OS. My Mac Pro here came with a super special build of 10.4.7 that has multithreaded OpenGL.

So there's your answer...10.4.8 means jack shit when it comes to figuring out if a new MacBooks or MBP is imminent.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    why would the OS need a new build to support a new laptop when the chips in the laptop are already supported (because they're in imacs).

but i hope you're right. maybe they need to update the fan software or something. i'm buying a merom lappy as soon as they come out.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Well I just went on a hunt for the elusive "Surefire Indicator" thread Rongold started. I can't find it. While 10.4.8 may or may not have support bundled inside it for new Merom-based MacBooks and MacBook Pros, the 'surefire indicator' that they may be coming is the slew of preceding software updates that Apple usually releases just prior to new hardware.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Dudes, don't get my hopes up. I'm resigned to the fact that I will die of old age before Apple updates the MBP.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

Dudes, don't get my hopes up. I'm resigned to the fact that I will die of old age before Apple updates the MBP.

I know what you mean. Don't think I can take another dissapointing Tuesday =(.