Switch to Mac - Timing

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hey guys,

I'm considering a switch to the Mac platform and thinking about buying the 20" iMac.

However, I plan not to conduct the purchase till the MacWorld expo on January (I believe some interesting stuff may be unveiled there... maybe even Leopard would be released to the wild...)

Anyway, I wanted to ask your opinion about the chances that the 20" iMac specs would be upgraded or, its price would be reduced till the expo (or during the expo).

What do you think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Probably not too likely. I doubt they will upgrade nor come out with anything that would make the price of the iMac drop. Your best bet is to wait for a refurbished one if you're looking for a lower price.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    wait and see.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lirand

Hey guys,

I'm considering a switch to the Mac platform and thinking about buying the 20" iMac.

However, I plan not to conduct the purchase till the MacWorld expo on January (I believe some interesting stuff may be unveiled there... maybe even Leopard would be released to the wild...)

Anyway, I wanted to ask your opinion about the chances that the 20" iMac specs would be upgraded or, its price would be reduced till the expo (or during the expo).

What do you think?

The iMac has only just had a revision so I wouldn't expect anything significant until Q2 next year.

Wait until MWSF 07 (Jan 07) if you don't want to buy iLife 07 next year.

Wait until April 07 if you don't want to buy Leopard too.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes

The iMac has only just had a revision so I wouldn't expect anything significant until Q2 next year.

Wait until MWSF 07 (Jan 07) if you don't want to buy iLife 07 next year.

Wait until April 07 if you don't want to buy Leopard too.

How often does Apple usualy update its iMac line?

Do they at least update the prices of RAM/HD upgrades more often?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Not really.

Get a refurb in a couple months. Make sure you get an iMac with a proper graphics card in it... integrated graphics suck heinously.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lirand

How often does Apple usualy update its iMac line?

Do they at least update the prices of RAM/HD upgrades more often?

Have a look at Apple History for past experience. This year is unusual with 3 revisions so far. The average is 1 or 2 revisions per year. Under Intel I expect a small increase in this rate due to the comparisions being more direct.

There are no new processors in the immediate pipeline and the hard disk/RAM can be user upgraded anyway. The only advice is to get the screen ssize/graphics card you need.

Also take a look at this time-line which grahically shows how long each Mac model lasted - quite amazing how many Macs there were to choose from 1993-1998!