Intel and Apple in cahoots on several new technologies

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Computer and Intel Corp. are presently engaged in a number of ongoing projects using next-generation technologies, an Intel official confirmed this week.

In an interview with InformationWeek, Pat Gelsinger, senior VP and general manager of the Digital Enterprise Group at Intel, offered some comments on his company's ongoing relationship with the Mac maker as well Microsoft's thoughts on the matter.

"It's far from done. Let's take it in phases," Gelsinger said of the cooperation between the two industry heavyweights. "First was the honeymoon, where we won Apple as a customer. The second phase was execution and getting products done and, third, we just finished that."

Gelsinger said Apple's MacBook Pro was the last product in which the two companies worked closely. "We've just gotten that done, but a number of projects are under way with Apple on next-generation technologies -- but I can't detail those," he said. "Apple is very secretive, even to us. It's the nature of the company."

It's unclear if Gelsinger was referring the MacBook Pro models released in February or the revised Core 2 Duo models due in the next six weeks. However, with Intel believed to have been largely responsible for Apple's Mac Pro released last month, it's likely he is implying the latter.

In the interview, Gelsinger also admitted that Microsoft has expressed concern over the newfound friendship between Intel and Apple's , as it adds yet another operating system vendor to Intel's portfolio.

"But our response [to Microsoft] is that we have a customer that wants to use our silicon," he explained. "Of course we support them. At the same time, I'd say our Microsoft relationship is as good if not better than it has been in our 20-year history."

Rumors that Apple and Intel were working closely to develop new products outside of Macs and iPods gained momentum earlier this year when Deborah Conrad, vice president and director of Team Apple at Intel, said she was "excited" about the prospect of future gadgets from the pair.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    "Cahoots"

Man I love that word.

(Sorry, carry on).
  • Reply 2 of 26
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I'll wait until I see some before I get too "excited".
  • Reply 3 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

I'll wait until I see some before I get too "excited".

So when're the new MBPs coming out? The rumour sites have quietened down so much - just as I'm in the market to buy a new MBP

Sometime between now and Thankgiving is the closest to a timeline that I can find... and that sounds like guessing to me. \
  • Reply 4 of 26
    Tablets please!

Ultra Mobile Mac?
  • Reply 5 of 26
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by janmci

So when're the new MBPs coming out? The rumour sites have quietened down so much - just as I'm in the market to buy a new MBP

Sometime between now and Thankgiving is the closest to a timeline that I can find... and that sounds like guessing to me. \

Ask Steve, he's the only who knows. Nobody here has the slightest idea.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella

Tablets please!

Ultra Mobile Mac?

Yes, iTablet / UMPC media device please!
  • Reply 7 of 26
    I second the Tablets- bring them on!
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Pat Gelsinger better watch out or Steve's going to unleash the full fury of the RDF on his butt.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    Wow...we are l33t !

iTablet, here I come !

Or wait...here you come !
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by janmci

Sometime between now and the end of the world is the best estimation for the release that I can come up with.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Flash based Tablets/phones

Could you?

With 802.11n in a laptop. you could turn your laptop into a phone with just a Bluetooth headset.

Could you then?

With this same headset, turn a Flash based Tablet into a phone/PDA/iPod. Long battery life. Just speculating.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    I want to see a docking tablet laptop.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    17" Tablet featuring Wacom-technology, please.

- Xidius
  • Reply 14 of 26
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella

Tablets please!

Ultra Mobile Mac?

I forgot about those things! Bring 'em on!!

/If it's not "Cahoots" it's, "tipsters sent this in"
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Calm down children. With Intel producing Apple's base-model graphics chips and all it's WiFi chips it's a fair chance the 'future gadget' refered to is the iTV.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Felin

Sometime between now and the end of the world is the best estimation for the release that I can come up with.

You do realize that saying that is just asking for trouble, right?
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Programmer

You do realize that saying that is just asking for trouble, right?

Trouble?.... From who?
  • Reply 18 of 26
    What a wate of time reading this thread \
  • Reply 19 of 26
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,336member
    A "wate" of time reading this thread and reading the article.

This article tells us nothing we didn't already know prior to reading it! Of course Apple and Intel are working closely together. Is that really news? I think not. But it would appear that AppleInsider needed another story to make their list of stories look good, hence this article. I'm sure there must be something much more newsworthy out there though, so please AppleInsider staff, take a harder look around!
  • Reply 20 of 26
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JDW

A "wate" of time reading this thread and reading the article.

This article tells us nothing we didn't already know prior to reading it!

Except from this part:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Gelsinger said Apple's MacBook Pro was the last product in which the two companies worked closely. "We've just gotten that done, but a number of projects are under way with Apple on next-generation technologies -- but I can't detail those," he said. "Apple is very secretive, even to us. It's the nature of the company."

It's unclear if Gelsinger was referring the MacBook Pro models released in February or the revised Core 2 Duo models due in the next six weeks. However, with Intel believed to have been largely responsible for Apple's Mac Pro released last month, it's likely he is implying the latter.

At least, it is something I didn't know.