Syncing Nano

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I was wondering if anyone can help me out with this. I have a 4GB Nano (which is scuffed up beyond belief... but I still love it). It's pretty much full to capacity (maybe 100MB free). I listen to quite a few Podcasts on my commute to work. I have iTunes set up to keep only Podcasts I haven't yet listened to. My problem is that iTunes wants to put the new content on my Nano before it removes the stuff I've listened to... and as a result, I get the message saying that I don't have enough room and "Would you like iTunes to make a selection of music to copy to your Nano?". If it would remove the content I had already listened to first, there would be plenty of room. For now, I've set iTunes to only keep the most current Podcast. This kinda sucks because I don't always get a chance to listen to all of them. Is there some way to get iTunes to remove my old content before trying to copy over the new stuff? I know I can do it manually, but that's sort of a pain (one of the biggest reasons I still use my iPod is because of the integration with iTunes and syncing up my Podcasts). I'm guessing there's probably not much I can do... but since I don't really play around with any settings in iTunes or my Nano, I thought maybe I missed something.

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    You could try syncing your Nano once BEFORE you update the Podcasts. Then download the Podcasts then sync again. Just a thought...
  • Reply 2 of 8
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash

You could try syncing your Nano once BEFORE you update the Podcasts. Then download the Podcasts then sync again. Just a thought...

And an excellent thought at that! I don't know why I didn't think about that. I thought for some reason it seemed to work some times and not others. Now that I think about it... that may be because at times I'd just plug my Nano in to charge it (which would launch iTunes and do an update before the new Podcasts download)... and a little later, I'd just do an update on the Nano (which would have had the previous content removed from when I first connected).

Thanks!
  • Reply 3 of 8
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Apple still hasn't perfected managing podcasts. The one that anoys me now is when you tell the iPod to delete podcasts that you've listened too. They get marked as listened to in iTunes. So then I delete them from iTunes. At the next update iTunes sees that I don't have it and redownloads it and resyncs it with my iPod. Brilliant.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo

Apple still hasn't perfected managing podcasts. The one that anoys me now is when you tell the iPod to delete podcasts that you've listened too. They get marked as listened to in iTunes. So then I delete them from iTunes. At the next update iTunes sees that I don't have it and redownloads it and resyncs it with my iPod. Brilliant.

Huh??? Dude, I think you need to take a look in the iTunes preferences like the Podcasts and iPod tabs and you'll probably solve your problem prett-y quickly. Because iTunes can definitely delete the ones you've already listened to automatically. To say that you tell the iPod to delete the podcasts and then say that you delete them manually from iTunes makes no sense. And if you delete them manually, of course they're going to be redownloaded...
  • Reply 5 of 8
    The ones I listen to come off the iPod but what I want to do is delete them from iTunes and not have them redownloaded.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    iTunes>Preferences...>Podcasts>Keep:>All unplayed episodes
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Yea, you know when I used that a year ago it absolutely was not working the right way. But it is now. Maybe one of the many iTunes updates fixed it. Plus now I'm on a new notebook too. Who knows?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    I'm 100% convinved that iTunes keeps downloading PodCast that I've already listened it and it's deleted.

So it's set to check everyday, download all new ones, and only keep unplayed. And yet it keeps downloading PodCasts I listened to months ago. Maybe NPR is doing something funny and tricking iTunes into thinking that they are new?