Using Two Wireless Router?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apologies if this is in the wrong category.

I received a BT Home Hub through the mail this morning, as I recently upgraded to the top package for the monthly usage. I?ve been using a Belkin Wireless router for the last year and everything is perfect.

We have a large house and the Belkin is currently outside my room, I get full strength, and so does the PC across the hall. However sometimes I?m in the kitchen or through the front of the house the signal is that low I don?t get internet.

I was just wondering is there any way that I can use both wireless routers at the same time? And place the BT Home Hub somewhere in the kitchen, so whenever I move out of one routers distance I can switch to the other?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member
    i think you can. just go to your airport in the menu bar and get on the network with the strongest signal. i have airport express and linksys. in the front of my house i use airport and in the back the linksys is better. they are both coming off the same hard wired dsl router initially. you will be splitting bandwidth but if your speed is enough you can run 4 or 5 macs or pcs off it. hope that helps.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gdog

i think you can. just go to your airport in the menu bar and get on the network with the strongest signal. i have airport express and linksys. in the front of my house i use airport and in the back the linksys is better. they are both coming off the same hard wired dsl router initially. you will be splitting bandwidth but if your speed is enough you can run 4 or 5 macs or pcs off it. hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply.

I plugged the BT Home Hub into the kitchen (power and the broadband phone line cable) and the only light that flashes in the Wireless... which my airport lists it and find the signal strength, but it doesn't find the ADSL line to allow the internet to work through it... HOWEVER it does find the ADSL line when the Belkin power is turned off. But then the Belkin can't find the ADSL line.

Any further ideas on how to solve the problem?

Hope that wasn't too confusing.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    You're just daisy-chaining one of the routers off of one of the other's ethernet ports, right?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Check out the belkin and BT websites for information on how to create a WDS. It is really easy to do this with apple's airports and much less so with other companies -- though I have set up a hybrid apple/belkin network. It will involve going into the control panel (often in a browser) of the wireless device and changing settings on how the two units talk to each other and to your computers.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    There are a lot of ways to configure these things. If you can wire ethernet to both wireless access points, then it should be easy enough. Configure one as a router and the other as an access point. If not, then you'll have to set up a bridge and repeater, which requires more hardware and is flaky unless you do it right.