Regular songs as Podcast

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Is there a way to mark a regular song as a podcast? Podcasts show up in an iPod with a mark next to them of whether they've been listened too or not, and I've some speeches and stuff I'd like to have the same feature, but they're just downloaded mp3's not Podcasts.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Well you could use Apache to make a web page on your computer - create a RSS feed for your songs and then you could set iTunes to download them for you. This may work.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    just creat a "new" smart playlist.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Right here at Doug's Applescript site.

You're welcome.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shady104

just creat a "new" smart playlist.

huh.

I feel stupid for not thinking of that. . I guess this is the "right" way to do something like this. It works quite well too, thanks.

@Electric Monk, thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. I haven't had a chance to look at the actual script yet, but given that the instructions say you must have personal web sharing on to run it, I guess it probably just automates MacCrazy's suggestion? So iTunes actually keeps track where it got the file from in order to decide if it's podcast or not, rather than putting some tag on the actual file?

This leads to my follow-up. How do iTunes/iPod remember play count. Is there a way to change those without actually playing the song, sort of like you can mark messages as unread or read in Mail?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash

This leads to my follow-up. How do iTunes/iPod remember play count. Is there a way to change those without actually playing the song, sort of like you can mark messages as unread or read in Mail?

Oh of course a smart playlist would enable you to see the songs you have not yet listened to - I have a playlist set for that myself! You can reset play counts - however they will still have a last played date so I do not know if they will still appear in your never played list. Podcasts can also be marked as never played etc.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash

@Electric Monk, thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. I haven't had a chance to look at the actual script yet, but given that the instructions say you must have personal web sharing on to run it, I guess it probably just automates MacCrazy's suggestion? So iTunes actually keeps track where it got the file from in order to decide if it's podcast or not, rather than putting some tag on the actual file?

You can, as mentioned, set podcasts to be marked as never played.

As for actual play count, once again I summon the powers of applescript add or subtract play count or just set the play count you want.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacCrazy

Oh of course a smart playlist would enable you to see the songs you have not yet listened to - I have a playlist set for that myself! You can reset play counts - however they will still have a last played date so I do not know if they will still appear in your never played list. Podcasts can also be marked as never played etc.

Even if it retains a last played date you can make the smart playlist look for play count zero which bypasses the last played date thing.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Electric Monk

Even if it retains a last played date you can make the smart playlist look for play count zero which bypasses the last played date thing.

this is true
  • Reply 8 of 8
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Thanks, all!

Just for any other clueless people like me, the way to reset this stuff is to right-click (control-click) a selected song or songs and you can choose "Reset play count," "Reset skipped count," (whatever that is) and, if it is a podcast, "Mark as played," or "Mark as unplayed."

It's funny, but I couldn't find these things in the menus or in CMD-i anywhere. hmmm...

Again, thanks for your help everyone.