Would Apple redesign the Macbook Pro?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I just got thinking, and was wondering if it would be likely for Apple to redesign the Macbook Pro. I am thinking sometime around the launch of Leopard..

here is my reasoning:
  1. they haven't released a new form factor in a while

2. leopard

3. santa rosa

4. NAND

5. 802.11n

6. to mark the transition to intel. the current MBP could act as somewhat of a buffer from PPC > Intel..

any thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    It's all in what your definition of redesign is.

If you mean by redesign, Apple through better engineering improves the current enclosure to better dissipate heat and allows for easily removable hard drives, that might be considered a redesign.

If by redesign, you're inferring form factor, I don't think now is the time that Apple would make such a move. They usually like to wrap big press events into new designs, as they have for every single pro notebook that I can remember. If there's the announcement of a "Special Event," in the next week or two then that might uptick the speculation of a new form factor with Apple's inclusion of Core2 Duos in their MacBook Pros.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    i wasn't thinking of them redesigning the form factor now, i was thinking more around the release of leopard.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    I'm thinking they ran out of time when the intel chips starting shipping ahead of schedule, and this this update finally addresses the issues that could benefit from a new approach.

Besides, there are so many announcements down the pipeline that a new enclosure of the MBP is not that big of a deal. Leopard, iTV, Video iPod, Mobile OSX are more noteworthy.

The big announcement was the first Intel laptops.

How about a black enclosure, or one that is more durable and less dent-prone?
  • Reply 4 of 22
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here!

Apple is going to have a special event in the Apple Town Hall on the 14th of November, where they'll announce the New Core2 MacBook (other minor upgrades too), and the redesigned MacBook Pro with Core2 (other minor upgrades), mag-latch and MacBook keyboard.

Oh, and one more thing... iPhone!

What about Macworld then? Well there's a tablet, a Mac FeatherBook, another more revealing in-depth pre release look at Leopard etc.

Then when Leopard is released, so is iTV etc.

If the iPhone is fullscreen touch-screen like that patent says, then we'll most likely see a software update to optionally turn the iPhone into a remote control.

I said it before and i'll say it again, 2007 will be the year of Apple!
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland

I'm gonna go out on a limb here!

Apple is going to have a special event in the Apple Town Hall on the 14th of November, where they'll announce the New Core2 MacBook (other minor upgrades too), and the redesigned MacBook Pro with Core2 (other minor upgrades), mag-latch and MacBook keyboard.

Oh, and one more thing... iPhone!

What about Macworld then? Well there's a tablet, a Mac FeatherBook, another more revealing in-depth pre release look at Leopard etc.

Then when Leopard is released, so is iTV etc.

If the iPhone is fullscreen touch-screen like that patent says, then we'll most likely see a software update to optionally turn the iPhone into a remote control.

I said it before and i'll say it again, 2007 will be the year of Apple!

Not that I wouldn't kill for an Apple subnotebook but damn, that's optimistic
  • Reply 6 of 22
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I think the term "redesign" needs a clearer definition.

I would say the term redesign is exclusive to a radical departure from a previous design. For example, if Apple were to redesign the MBP, I would expect the enclosure to be significantly different. This would include the change from aluminum to something else, like carbon fiber, a new hinge design, etc.

I would call changing the keyboard on the MBP to the one that's on the MacBook, a tweak. As I would call the addition of the MagLatch, and the removeable hard drive a tweak. It's still the same enclosure, and overall, the same design.

The change from the 'Pismo' PowerBook G3 to the 'Titanium' PowerBook G4 is the best example of a redesign, as is the switch from titanium to aluminum in 2003.

Ireland: I don't think Apple can wait until November 14th. Apple needs to get their Core2 Duo notebooks out there ASAP as to avoid a crushing demand for them during the holiday season. I think if they are released November 14th this gives Apple an extremely narrow window to get the channel in balance by Christmas.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755

I think the term "redesign" needs a clearer definition.

I would say the term redesign is exclusive to a radical departure from a previous design. For example, if Apple were to redesign the MBP, I would expect the enclosure to be significantly different. This would include the change from aluminum to something else, like carbon fiber, a new hinge design, etc.

I would call changing the keyboard on the MBP to the one that's on the MacBook, a tweak. As I would call the addition of the MagLatch, and the removeable hard drive a tweak. It's still the same enclosure, and overall, the same design.

The change from the 'Pismo' PowerBook G3 to the 'Titanium' PowerBook G4 is the best example of a redesign, as is the switch from titanium to aluminum in 2003.

Ireland: I don't think Apple can wait until November 14th. Apple needs to get their Core2 Duo notebooks out there ASAP as to avoid a crushing demand for them during the holiday season. I think if they are released November 14th this gives Apple an extremely narrow window to get the channel in balance by Christmas.

i agree. i was thinking more along the lines of a new case enclosure(i would digg a carbon fiber one ) along with minor tweaks of course such as mag latch, different keyboard, and possibly a removable hard drive.

do you guys think it would be likely for Apple to redesign(definition above) the Macbook Pro around the release of Leopard?
  • Reply 8 of 22
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    I think that the redesign will occur with the release of Leopard.

New OS new enclosure + added hardware goodness like instant on.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SteveGTA

[*]they haven't released a new form factor in a while

I'd like to see a 10" MBP. I'm really impressed with the 10" Sony Vaio and I know from university, carrying around even a 12" ibook was painful after a while. I don't like that they only offer a 15" model at the lowest. The vaio only manages to get integrated graphics in there and a Core Solo but I'm sure some would compromise for the size and weight saving.

Quote:

[*]leopard

I don't see Leoprad contributing to any hardware redesigns. I think they'll be totally separate.

Quote:

[*]NAND

I think it's too early for that.

Quote:

[*]802.11n

I heard that Airport was already unofficially allowing 802.11n speeds.

Quote:

[*]to mark the transition to intel. the current MBP could act as somewhat of a buffer from PPC > Intel..

I would imagine that the machines will get a redesign the further in the Intel transition gets but if they can't come up with anything better, I'd prefer they left it alone.

I would like to see the Macbook keyboard and latch on the MBP and the same ease of HD and Ram replacement (if it's not the same).
  • Reply 10 of 22
    I read a rumor a few months ago that Apple were going to incorporate some of the stuff that was new on the MB line into the MBP line - like a latchless lid in to the next MBP update.. With the current look of the MBP having been around a while, a redesigned MBP must be coming soon. Whether that happens in the next few weeks, in January or even later who knows.

To add to a sooner rather than later update rumor. Within the last couple of days, some Intel person stated that they last board design they worked on with Apple was the MBP. Now I believe, Intel designed the Mac Pro motherboard, so he must have been talking about a more recent MBP than the one currently available.

And didn't somebody say recently that it was difficult for resellers to get hold up MBP's?

Make of all this as you will.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jootec from Mars

I read a rumor a few months ago that Apple were going to incorporate some of the stuff that was new on the MB line into the MBP line - like a latchless lid in to the next MBP update.. With the current look of the MBP having been around a while, a redesigned MBP must be coming soon. Whether that happens in the next few weeks, in January or even later who knows.

To add to a sooner rather than later update rumor. Within the last couple of days, some Intel person stated that they last board design they worked on with Apple was the MBP. Now I believe, Intel designed the Mac Pro motherboard, so he must have been talking about a more recent MBP than the one currently available.

And didn't somebody say recently that it was difficult for resellers to get hold up MBP's?

Make of all this as you will.

I would love it if the Merom MBP came with just some minor updates to the lid, they could change the overall design and composition later, but if they could incorperate the latchless lid and maybe the MB keyboard, that would be SWEET
  • Reply 12 of 22
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aiolos

I would love it if the Merom MBP came with just some minor updates to the lid, they could change the overall design and composition later, but if they could incorperate the latchless lid and maybe the MB keyboard, that would be SWEET

If they did, then I think a 2007 MBP might be on the cards for me.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    mugwumpmugwump Posts: 233member
    Thinksecret in July reported that Apple is all ready with a new MBP enclosure design when it gets the Merom Core 2 Duo processor "in the fall".

Let's see it!
  • Reply 14 of 22
    gruthgruth Posts: 35member
    I'm curious if you all would consider the move from iBook to MacBook to be a redesign. I would, yet the exterior plastic stayed the same, and to the casual observer, they'd look the same on the outside. I actually thought this was a bigger redesign than TiBook to AlBook G4, yet the latter change looked a lot different.

So along those lines, if the iBook to MacBook was a major redesign, then that might be a signal that Apple is going to keep the exterior appearnce of their whole laptop the same for a while.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    trtamtrtam Posts: 111member
    what would be amazing would be if they could somehow make a MBP with scratch-proof (or less scratch prone) BLACK METAL enclosure like on the back of the iPod U2 Special Edition.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trtam

what would be amazing would be if they could somehow make a MBP with scratch-proof (or less scratch prone) BLACK METAL enclosure like on the back of the iPod U2 Special Edition.

I for one hope they NEVER change the design. It is the classiest look I have ever seen and I think any desing other than the aluminum look would be a downgrade. Even the Nano is alu now.

Aluminum will never go out of style.

there are two things that instantly give the look of class to any design, be it a computer, a building, a car, or an accessory -- glass and aluminum.

they can make it thinner (no, I haven't the foggiest idea how), they can make it sturdier, moreof a single structure, etc. but please dont change the style. from the placement of the keyboard, touchpad, speaker grills, the hinge design, the look of the computer from every angle, this thing is just PERFECT now. If Apple could truly have improved the design, they would have. They take risks (iPod anyone?).

I hope for simple evolutions in the design, if and only IF it is an IMPROVEMENT, not just to have somehtign different.

Carbon fiber would look cool for a couple months and then people would hope for apple to upgrade to aluminum.

Carbon fiber is stronger, but aluminum is "cooler".

aluminum is here to stay.

I think a keyboard like MB is ok, but ot necessary. I do believe it is a sure thing for the next design. the mag latch is awesome though -- that will make it too.

I don't want an all-new enclosure, jsut an improved one that keeps on looking more and more upscale, not cheap like the sony or dell version of bling.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Agreed.

Exposed carbon fiber is gay.

Its form over function instead of Apples trademarked form and function.

The case maybe sturdier the innards will die on impact.

Tupperware tuning at best.

Maybe with some paint...

Black Aluminum like a 8GB iPod nano 2G would look very good though.

[edit]As an option, just like the black MacBook, would be nice.[/edit]
  • Reply 18 of 22
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755

It's all in what your definition of redesign is.

If by redesign, you're inferring form factor, I don't think now is the time that Apple would make such a move. They usually like to wrap big press events into new designs, as they have for every single pro notebook that I can remember.

Macbook?

No big announcement there.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gar

Agreed.

Maybe with some paint...

My only gripe about about color options is that Apple charges a premium for cool colors.

The thing that isn't mentioned that I think should occur with the next MBP is a price drop for each model. $2700 for the 17" in particular is to steep. With any CTO options it easily tops 3k. That's getting out of touch compared with other vendors 17" models.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gar

Agreed.

Maybe with some paint...

Um,w hat? What are you, 14?

I thought "gay" left parlance as a derogatory term in the 90's.