Glossy or Regular Screen?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
When I buy my Merom MBP (Whenever the **** that is ), I was wondering what you guys thought about glossy vs. regular screen.

I heard the glossy is better for movies and stuff but that the glossy is really bad in bright areas and stuff.

Can I get some input from current owners please?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I have a glossy 20" widescreen, and I love it. Blacks really pop, while on a matte display I don't think they'd be as strikingly dark and rich. It's really great, feels like you're looking at a printed photo or something. The glossiness hasn't been a problem as far as glare is concerned, but I use it indoors.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aiolos

When I buy my Merom MBP (Whenever the **** that is ), I was wondering what you guys thought about glossy vs. regular screen.

I heard the glossy is better for movies and stuff but that the glossy is really bad in bright areas and stuff.

I would say it's a prersonal preferences thing. If you have a lot of bright, relatively diffuse light, the matte screen probably won't look as nice.

Frankly, I would prefer to see a glossy screen with the kind of antiglare coating that's on my CRT. That way, you get good visual dynamic range without much of the glare. Another thing I don't like is that the ripples in glossy LCD screen surfaces cheapen the appearance for me, even though I still think it is superior looking to the matte surface.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    k, thanks, I'll stick to the gloosy
  • Reply 4 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Wait a minute, I'd say try it out first. I was all for the idea of the glossy display because the screen has better contrast and colors really stand out.

However, when I actually used one, I tried to watch a movie on it beside some friends and even with the blinds down in a room with one window, I could still see a clear reflection of one of my friends on the sofa. Now, if it was someone you were attracted to it might be ok but if not, it can be very uncomfortable.

I generally found myself squinting a lot at the screen because it kept showing a band of white in the lower half of the screen as it was reflecting the keyboard.

It's down to what you can personally put up with but after trying it out for a few days, I grew to dislike it and I would go for the matte screen.

The glossy displays look easier to keep clean though.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    hmm, I see...... the sideways glare was that bad? hmm, thats bad cause I watch a lot of movies... \
  • Reply 6 of 11
    mzaslovemzaslove Posts: 519member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

However, when I actually used one, I tried to watch a movie on it beside some friends and even with the blinds down in a room with one window, I could still see a clear reflection of one of my friends on the sofa. Now, if it was someone you were attracted to it might be ok but if not, it can be very uncomfortable.

These are the "little things" that only an observant review can give to us unenlightened. Who woulda thunk to check that? Good call!

I thougth I was gonna go glossy, but when I compared side-by-side what I was going to be working on (scripts and video), I found I had to go with matte.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    kenyakenya Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aiolos

My reccomendation is to go your frienly Apple Store (or other retailer) and check them out for yourself. I bought a glossy MBP a few days ago and I love it! The screen is so bright and pretty. My boyfriend called it "lucious"!! As far as the glare is concerned, yes there is some but it is minor. To me, it's like looking at the TV. I've used her (yes, she has a gender!) at work (medium flourescent), at home (candescent and incandescent), and in the car. At no time was I so horrified by the glare that I had to stop working. Truly, the only time I noticed it was when the MBP was powering up and the screen was still off...

For me, the beauty and the "luciousness", not to mention the pretty much non-exsistent glare, leads me to never go matte again.

HTH
  • Reply 8 of 11
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I bought a glossy mbp, I love the colours and I haven't had a problem with reflections and I've used it all over.

But you're your own best judge, you gotta see what you like at the store if you can.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    get a glossy, much better image quality. colours come up bright as, much better than my mates ibook. she prefers using photoshop on my macbook rather that her laptop. dont know why, silly girl...
  • Reply 10 of 11
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    When is the iMac going to get a glossy screen option?

- Mark
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt

When is the iMac going to get a glossy screen option?

- Mark

Hadn't thought of that. That'd be cool.