How loud are the new PBooks?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm currently using a QS 867 PMac and its really on the noisy side... I also have a Pbook 400 which is lovely,

Would a new 1 gig Pbook be noisier then my 400?

Would it be as fast as the PMac 867?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    I have the 867 - I ahev had the following models

PBG4 - 400

PBG4 - 550

PBG4 - 667

The 867 is the quietest model EVER!

It basically runs silent - and the fan comes on less than all previous models
  • Reply 2 of 13
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    The display model in our store runs dead silent unless the showroom gets hot. Which doesn't happen often this time of year.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    I got my PBook today (1GHz, 1GB ram, Superdrive) and the fan is a lot less quiet than past models. I think you would be impressed.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    i have a 1ghz now and it's much quieter in normal use than my 667 was. the 667's fan would come on constantly when attached to an external monitor. the new one hasn't hit the fan hard yet. it's completely silent.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by Bioflavonoid:

<strong>I got my PBook today (1GHz, 1GB ram, Superdrive) and the fan is a lot less quiet than past models. I think you would be impressed.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think you might mean a lot MORE quiet...?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    [quote]Originally posted by Bioflavonoid:

<strong>I got my PBook today (1GHz, 1GB ram, Superdrive) and the fan is a lot less quiet than past models. I think you would be impressed.</strong><hr></blockquote>

A lot LESS Quiet? That would be a lot noisier. Is that what you meant to write?
  • Reply 7 of 13
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    OMFG!!!

I got my 1ghz, 1024 mb RAM, 60 GB SuperDriver Powerbook Today...

AND it screams!!! silently.

This is the quietest, mac I've had (I also own the Cube, an iBook and have had a Pismo.)

Its by far the fastest mac experience I ever had. Its snappier than OS9 ever was.

I thought the brightnessit was at max, but it turned out that the factory setting was only 50%. So now its so bright my eyes hurt. The reserve battery just didn't want to die when I tried to run it down. The keyboard and speakers are increadibly much better than my ibook. (i can even hear the bass).

No PC laptop I've ever seen comes close to this experience. So if this look is dated I can't wait to see what Apple is comming out whit next...

With all this euphoria going to my head, I just have to stop typing now. The last two hours have really given me back all faith in Apple, and I'm starting to suspect that Naomi Klein also has a powerbook, She just don't want to admit it...
  • Reply 8 of 13
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    wow... even the fan is very silent...
  • Reply 9 of 13
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    WOW!

They must be really really really qquiet. I own a 800Mhz model, and never notice the fan noise that is produced.

The only noise I sometimes get is the DVD drive when it speeds up super fast sometimes
  • Reply 10 of 13
    the fan is extremely quiet and not near as likely to turn itself on as my 667 was. that thing's fan was on constantly.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    I've got a first iteration-type 400Mhz TiBook and it's SI-LENT.

I had it for about three months before I even knew it had a fan in it. The fan came on for the first time when I was using it on a bed in mid-summer in Cape Town. (That's the parliamentary capital of South Africa, for those geographically challenged members.)

I also took my iPod to the southern Kalahari desert and got sand under the dial. But that's another story.

So, er, I don't get this noise thing.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I set up a 1GHz PB and have had it for the last couple days. The noise is equal to my 800 PB, all other things being the same, like environment and such.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    you all make me sick...being able to afford a PB!

i sit here WANTING one but won't be able to afford one until:

1)I Start selling illegal software

2)Apple Stock rises enough to buy a car first and PB second (speaking of which how high do you think apple stock will get to when the 970 comes out and apple is back in the race of speed...after it drops the day or two after it comes out like apple stock does everytime stuff is updated)

3)My rich great aunt decides to give all her money to me instead of her business D&E

4)I sell my left kidney...i just can't find a place that wants to give me the price i'm looking for

PS: I even have a poster of one in my room...its sooooooooooo sexy (screw you guyz who think its ugly or needs updating, it will be extremely hard to make it better)

[ 12-07-2002: Message edited by: ast3r3x ]

[ 12-07-2002: Message edited by: ast3r3x ]</p>