Parallels Question with Windows XP Pro

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hello,

I just got my MacBook today, and I installed Parallels on my computer and I also installed Windows XP Pro and everything works great except for the fact that I have no internet inside windows. I really need to have internet, can anyone give me a clue as to what I am doing wrong. I have bridge connection turn on and when I go to Networks under System Preferences in OS X, it says that it is fully up and running.

Thanks

iGrant

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    I can't help you other than to say I've had the same problem. I have no internet and nothing I've done or read has helped much. I've just given up.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGrant

Hello,

I just got my MacBook today, and I installed Parallels on my computer and I also installed Windows XP Pro and everything works great except for the fact that I have no internet inside windows. I really need to have internet, can anyone give me a clue as to what I am doing wrong. I have bridge connection turn on and when I go to Networks under System Preferences in OS X, it says that it is fully up and running.

Thanks

iGrant

• Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imacFP

I can't help you other than to say I've had the same problem. I have no internet and nothing I've done or read has helped much. I've just given up.

Then that really defeats the point on having parallels if it works with a dual boot . . . .

-iGrant
  • Reply 3 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Parallels networking works fine for me. I just use bridged connection and select connect cable at startup. If you don't select connect cable, it doesn't work.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

Parallels networking works fine for me. I just use bridged connection and select connect cable at startup. If you don't select connect cable, it doesn't work.

I have that turned on that is what is confusing me.

-iGrant
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

I have that turned on that is what is confusing me.

-iGrant

Did you say that the Parallels adaptor in your Mac system prefs is green too?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

Did you say that the Parallels adaptor in your Mac system prefs is green too?

yeah it is green, it will work fine if I am connected to a cat5 cable, but I can be on wireless, and even in System Preferences both the airport and the parallel connections are green and I still can not access the internet inside of windows, its very frustrating
  • Reply 7 of 10
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    see if you can ping your router or another computer on your network. if you can, you need to add dns servers to your tcp/ip settings for your connection inside of windows. i had to do that for some goofy reason.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

yeah it is green, it will work fine if I am connected to a cat5 cable, but I can be on wireless, and even in System Preferences both the airport and the parallel connections are green and I still can not access the internet inside of windows, its very frustrating

So it's just the wireless that's not working. What is your connection set to in Parallels? default, en0 or en1? Also, is your wireless network encrypted? I wouldn't have thought it would make a difference but I don't know how the Parallels adaptor works.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    I just loaded a trial of Parallels onto my 24" iMac and XP Pro and everything just worked. Besides the side buttons on my Wireless Mighty Mouse, I haven't found anything that doesn't work. I just used the standard config for everything. I didn't even look at any options so I don't know what they are. When Wondows finally loaded up, everything just worked. It was a very Mac like experience. I am writing this post from the Windows side. If possible, Windows is even faster in Parallels than in Boot Camp.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    pubguypubguy Posts: 108member
    Try looking at http://forums.parallels.com. There are lots of people there that can help troubleshoot your configuration.