My Blue and White 17" montior failed to shown up

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have a Blue and White G3 350MHZ DVD/CD-Rom 128 mb with the 17" inch Blue and White montior.

Right, last week, when I turn the G3 on and the G3 tower is on - green light - still work but when I press the button on the mointor and the green LED button shown green then turned to "yellow/orange" and the screen failed to show up e.g it only shown black screen.

Think it has something to do with the battery in the G3 tower? I'm told it is possibity.

Is this have something to do with the battery or the mointor? :confused:

I had the G3 B&W for 3 years, all in good care. (And I have iBook in case you wonder how did I sent the message to this website while my G3 not working properly!).

Any advices? Thanks

[ 11-30-2002: Message edited by: Funky ]

[ 11-30-2002: Message edited by: Funky ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by Funky:

<strong>I have a Blue and White G3 350MHZ DVD/CD-Rom 128 mb with the 17" inch Blue and White montior.

Right, last week, when I turn the G3 on and the G3 tower is on - green light - still work but when I press the button on the mointor and the green LED button shown green then turned to "yellow/orange" and the screen failed to show up e.g it only shown black screen.

Think it has something to do with the battery in the G3 tower? I'm told it is possibity.

Is this have something to do with the battery or the mointor? :confused:

I had the G3 B&W for 3 years, all in good care. (And I have iBook in case you wonder how did I sent the message to this website while my G3 not working properly!).

Any advices? Thanks

[ 11-30-2002: Message edited by: Funky ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

I've had the same problem with my 350mhz BW G3 hooked up to a 15" Sony CRT. Since I switched to a 17" I haven't had the problem, but now I'll often get a "out of scan range" message when booting up. I've been thinking that something is wrong with the video card, but I don't have a clue. Sorry.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Had the same setup. Try purging your PRAM. Failing that, double check the connections on the computer. You can always replace the PRAM battery at RadioShack pretty cheap. Failing all else, opt for a replacemetn PCI graphics card. Just FYI, those monitors notoriously fail after 2-3 years. I had 6 of them under my care and 3 have died....a fourth is starting to show symptoms. (a little ZAP now and then). Good luck!

PS, Is this genius bar maybe? Just wondering.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    funkyfunky Posts: 27member
    [quote]Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself:

<strong>Had the same setup. Try purging your PRAM. Failing that, double check the connections on the computer. You can always replace the PRAM battery at RadioShack pretty cheap. Failing all else, opt for a replacemetn PCI graphics card. Just FYI, those monitors notoriously fail after 2-3 years. I had 6 of them under my care and 3 have died....a fourth is starting to show symptoms. (a little ZAP now and then). Good luck!

PS, Is this genius bar maybe? Just wondering.</strong><hr></blockquote>

First, thank you for your advices on this matter and secondly, aplosiged for not able to reply to you both much sooner because I am busy last week etc.

To let you know what I have been doing on this problem,

today I took the battery from the G3 and went to the store in central London - went to Micro Arvita to buy the new 3.6V Lithium Backup battery, well exactly same to the old battery which is 3.6V Lithium Backup battery. Then tonight, I put the new battery in the G3 and guess what? Nothing happened. The screen on the mointor is still black with the button still shown the "orange/yellow-ish".

I am bluffed with this. I am feared it maybe have something to do with my graphics card in G3? (Because it could be quiet expenisive to buy a new graphic card?)

Ever I tested the B&W 17" inch screen mointor by use the "Video Out Port" by connect my iBook and my mointor and the 17 inch screen mointor has SHOWN the desktop of my iBook, so I found out that the 17 inch screen mointor is fully WORKING by connect to "video out port" to iBook but the screen will not working if is connect to the G3.

See? Something to do with graphics cards rather than the battery?

Yes I have read my G3 manuals carefully and has repeated the remove and install the battery several times trying to make G3 working but in the end , nothing happened oh by the way, yes I have tried to open my DVD/CD rom on G3 and it has opened - CR tray come out so it's working, but am still bluffed with the mointor.

Once again, any useful suggestions / advices?

Thanks,

[ 12-07-2002: Message edited by: Funky ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 8
    You didn't mention if you had purged the PRAM. Could some nice soul put the directions for logging into open firmware and doing a reset-all? Failing all else, a new PCI rage 128 can be bought online <a href="http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws%2 F&krd=1&from=R8&MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&Sor tProperty=MetaEndSort&query=pci+rage+128" target="_blank">here</a>. The one's that say "Mac" are your best bet although others 'may' work. Bottom line, buy one of these and see if it works. Worse case scenario you have TWO grahics cards and can then run dual monitors. Plus you can resell it online. Good luck!
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Oh yes, PRAM - ok, I have reset the PRAM by holding the keys - Command, Options, P, R keys down while the G3 is start up.

Well, result - nothing happened, I have tried that severeal times no success.

But one thing I have discovered on the USB keyboard - when I decide to test my keyobards, because the G3 has not respond to PRAM, by press the CAP keys with green led light but the green light on CAP key don't SHOW!

So, I decide to plug the USB keyboard to my iBook, and oddly, the USB keybaords and mouse is FULLY working. Ever the green light on CAP key is shown when it is connect to iBook.

Info about graphic on ebay website - thanks for tell me about it. I will have a look at these graphics specifial info very carefully. (I'm in Britian not in USA by the way.)

My grapohic card in the G3 is :- "ATi the RAGE 128, 16mb SDRAM graphics momery - 66MHz PCI slot."

I checked that on my G3 manual and on Apple tech support website carefully.

Maybe the new battery is fault(?), hmm, I'll better go and ask for new battery again (exhange).

So, in the end, USB keyboard connect to G3 is not responding plus new battery is not working? What next? - Graphics card?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Oh by the way, for more info about ATi graphic cards, here are the website links for that :-

<a href="http://mirror.ati.com/uk/index.html"; target="_blank">Main ATi website (UK)</a>

<a href="http://mirror.ati.com/products/builtdesktopmac.html"; target="_blank">ATi Graphics Card for Mac</a>
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Again, want to tell you the latest progress on trying to get G3 fixed, today I went to store to get the new battery exchnage for new battery (yes new again) in case it is fault on new battery and once I arrived home and I tried it out, no success BUT, one small development is what I saw on the mointor when I press the PRAM, I hawk-spotted the bttom left corner of the screen mointor, the screen flashed a part of "light grey" area bits on the bottom left corner of the screen. That lasted only one sec. That has happened couple of times when I repeat by press the PRAM, restarting etc.

But in the end, nothing progress apart from that rare light grey flash on screen.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Do you get the start up chime? Sorry I can't help you, I am new to macintosh.

[ 12-08-2002: Message edited by: Mac Man 020581 ]</p>