My Neck, My Back

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey Guys

I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with notebook docks, stands, or lap stands. I just got my MacBook a few months ago and now that I am actually using my MB in college, my neck, back, and shoulders have been killing me. I'm sure that it is due to the constant use of the MB...poor ergonomics. I'm looking to invest in some sort of dock or stand, whether it be for permanant desk use or both desk and lap use. I just need something. I was curious if anyone here had any recommendation as to which one I should purchase. Thanks a bunch!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Using the track pad on my older PB for any length of time drives my arm and neck crazy. No probs whe I use a mouse.

I tend to raise the back of my PB on whatever is available and won't get burnt from heat, leaving as much space as possible for air to circulate (helps keep the machine cooler). For any real lengthy typing episodes I use a spare Apple keyboard (have an ergonomic attached to my desktop machine). This allows me to sit as comfortably as I wish.

At one office I frequent I have a Road Tools Podum pad that works like a charm. Puts the screen high and at a good angle and also keeps the machine cool. With an external keyboard and mouse, the pain is gone.

In the Apple Store in Tokyo, they had a machine standing vertically in a small stand, attached to an external monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Other stands:

http://brainfag.com/writing/203/

http://www.macsonly.com/macimp/kamasMB.html
  • Reply 2 of 18
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    I recommend iLap.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    yeah, I have been looking at the iLap and it looks like a good product. I can't decide on whether or not I should invest in the iCurve for desktop use or the iLap. The main purpose of this is for desk use, but if I get the iCurve, I'll have to get a keyboard and mouse as well. My only question is, does the iLap raise the monitor hight enough like the iCurve does?
  • Reply 4 of 18
    if i were you i'd invest in a mouse and keyboard anyways. you can get a nice wired set for like $50 and never worry about arm/wrist/palm pain.

and yes, the iCurve raises the monitor height more than the iLap.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker

I recommend iLap.

The iLap is very cool indeed!

On the lap, on placed on a desk.

/that's not me, I donnah have any tattoos.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Quote:

I recommend iLap.

It looks really nice. Question though: If both the MBP bottom and the iLap are aluminum, what keeps the MBP from sliding off? Is it just that velvet cushion? Or does it somehow stay in place? Any scratching from metal against metal?
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dac0nvu

It looks really nice. Question though: If both the MBP bottom and the iLap are aluminum, what keeps the MBP from sliding off? Is it just that velvet cushion? Or does it somehow stay in place? Any scratching from metal against metal?

It comes with a set of four rubber feet (much better than the Apple-supplied ones, mind you).
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Quote:

It comes with a set of four rubber feet (much better than the Apple-supplied ones, mind you).

Sorry, but I'm a bit confused. Are the rubber feet for the bottom of the iLap or for the bottom of the MBP? Also, my MBP came with Apple-supplied rubber feet???
  • Reply 9 of 18
    [QUOTE=dac0nvu]Sorry, but I'm a bit confused. Are the rubber feet for the bottom of the iLap or for the bottom of the MBP?[/QUOTE}

The bottom of the MBP. I.e., the MBP sits on those feet, which in turn touch the surface of the iLap, which avoids the MBP sliding off too easily.

Quote:

Also, my MBP came with Apple-supplied rubber feet???

Yep, tiny round plastic ones, one in each corner. Sometimes they fall off, but you can usually get free replacements from Apple.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:

The bottom of the MBP. I.e., the MBP sits on those feet, which in turn touch the surface of the iLap, which avoids the MBP sliding off too easily.

Interesting, so do the rubber feet keep the bottom of the MBP from touching the iLap? I thought the metal against metal is what helped dissipate the heat so well.

On second look, it does show air flowing between the MBP and the iLap.

Quote:

Yep, tiny round plastic ones, one in each corner. Sometimes they fall off, but you can usually get free replacements from Apple.

*Note to self: Go home and dig out box and packaging from MBP. Look for tiny round feet.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dac0nvu

*Note to self: Go home and dig out box and packaging from MBP. Look for tiny round feet.

They should already be on the MBP, otherwise you'd just have holes near the corners of the bottom. They are very tiny bumpers.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Personally, I use an iCurve, sine I have a PB G4 sitting on my desk most of the day. It keeps the screen at a comfortable height and allows for good airflow. The screen seems brighter and the bottom stays much cooler. It also allows the computer to be farther away, so eyestrain is even less.

As a result, I have an Apple Keyboard and a mouse, boh of which I find very useful, since the keys have more give, and a numpad and other elements are included. I can put the keyboard and other things under the stand and roll out plans and documents in front of it. The only thing I could wish for is a dock connector, so I can get rid of the spaghetti coming out of the sides.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    I personally don't like the iLap. The foam things move around a lot.

I picked up a lap desk a Sharper Image that I really like, check that out.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I just got a lower chair.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    that ilap will increase you sperm count as well, as the laptop's not toasting your bollocks. just trying to help
  • Reply 16 of 18
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Has anyone felt extra discomfort since Apple started positioning the laptop displays further down? I always disliked that design change because when you are typing, your hands can obscure the lower part of the screen. I always find myself hunching over the keyboard, which eventually gets uncomfortable.

I often wonder that if the design in the Apple laptops was better, why does nobody else do it that way? Usually when Apple designs something, others follow eventually.

I don't think it's form factor because Sony make 10" laptops that use the standard hinge design. The Mac design also puts stress on the hinge if you push it even slightly too much.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    resres Posts: 711member
    I have used an iCurve for years and I highly recommend it.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I use the Podium CoolPad . Great for the larger laptops.