New iPod in October

Comments

• Reply 61 of 105
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham

perhaps someone with knowledge could answer this question accurately. but there is a bit of an intro. apple increased the battery life on the video ipods by quite an bit. i mean, from 2 to 3.5hrs is quite impressive, and there's a brighter screen. now, here it comes, how would a screen twice the size with wireless affect battery life? furthermore, how long do you reckon they could increase the battery life again. by that i mean like when they increased the battery in the video ipod recently.

I don't know, but one thing to consider is that a video iPod with a larger screen would almost certainly have more room for a larger battery. Consider that the 17" MacBook Pro has a larger screen than the 15", but also a longer battery life.
  • Reply 62 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murk

... After 30 most people don't buy or listen to new music. It's a proven psychological event. ..

This is the strangest thing I have ever read.

What an inane generalization.

The biscuit is most assuredly taken.
  • Reply 63 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell

I don't know, but one thing to consider is that a video iPod with a larger screen would almost certainly have more room for a larger battery. Consider that the 17" MacBook Pro has a larger screen than the 15", but also a longer battery life.

Why? Part of the reason for the 17" increase in battery life is because the physical dimensions of the laptop changed, compared to the 15"--there was physical room for a bigger battery. With the iPod, I would think dimensions wouldn't change--you'd just be stretching the screen out over the face of the device, like in the above photo. Now, that doesn't mean that Apple couldn't increase the size of the iPod itself, rather than just the screen--but that's not a certainty.
  • Reply 64 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox

For the folks who think "WiFi connectivity" is going to be the distinguishing feature of the Zune-- you do know that the MS press stuff makes it clear that the "sharing" DRM flag is only going to be turned on for "promotional" songs and they only last 3 days, at that, right?

So that seems to me to be a tough hill to climb: early adopter finally finds someone else with a Zune to "share" with and discovers that they are limited to sharing what the labels want to flog.

Not going to make for good word of mouth, I would think. And early impressions are awfully hard to shake. If "the WiFi thing is a joke" takes hold, forget it.

promotional means you don't get to keep the songs your friend sends you. You can share any song/picture/video you have, but your friend can only keep them for 3 days or 3 plays. ( except for pictures I think those can be kept indefinately.
  • Reply 65 of 105
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aiolos

Yeah, about the whole "iPod before Xmas thing"

From thinksecret,

"Last week, Think Secret sources reported Apple was pushing engineers in the hope of being able to release its next-generation iPod ahead of this year's holiday buying season. While informants had stressed at the time that the company was up against an intimidating timeline for doing so?and that the odds were against a Christmas release?they now say the possibility of a 2006 announcement is all but out of the question.

Without divulging details?which sources requested we withhold to protect their anonymity?the word is Apple missed a crucial window in the development cycle of the product to ensure delivery this year.

An announcement at Macworld Expo San Francisco 2007 in early January once again seems the most likely venue for Apple to showcase what will be its flagship digital media player for some time."

Link: http://thinksecret.com/secretnotes/ (secret note #2)

Man do you still give Thinksecret any credibility?

It has been looong time since they predict anything right.

Lately their strategy is saying something, denying it then confirming it at the last second or the other way around and then they say as predicted. What a joke.

sorry man, their time is over.
  • Reply 66 of 105
    jimbo123jimbo123 Posts: 153member
    I think the potential new iPod is worhy of an event of it's own.

IMO Apple were waiting for the offical release date of Zune then they will steal it's thunder around the same time by introducing the new player with announcements of more movie studios jumping on board.

I also think we could see new iPod accessories just like last October.

If this is to be believed then I predict an event on 17/10/06. Eiither way I can't help but feel there will be one more event...
  • Reply 67 of 105
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davey-nb

This is the strangest thing I have ever read.

What an inane generalization.

The biscuit is most assuredly taken.

I said it does not apply to everyone, just most. Googled to try to find one of the places I read about the study. First thing that is listed is a NPR podcast... http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...3441&i=9368059 By the way, the article I originally read about this in mentioned this in reference to why record companies want subscriptions. If you Google you may find more. The podcast does mention this is the way the radio business works.

PS- I would hate to be part of your generation and have to listen to the crap that is popular now for the rest of my life. OH NO! It's happening to me!
  • Reply 68 of 105
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    just a thought about the whole 'listen to it three times in three days thing' how easy would it be to create a program like senuti for windows? because if that happened M$ would be done if they dont have DRM or what ever its called, i dont know that was just a guess, like apple has done.

i supose we will have to wait and see how the 'zune' works to find out
  • Reply 69 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell

that mite be to do with the added space in the 17inch mbp though, as it did add quite a large amount of space inside the thing. i think the ipod is more likely to remain about the same size, possibly a bit thicker, but knowing apple, they will make it either the same size or thinner.
  • Reply 70 of 105
    Quote:

just a thought about the whole 'listen to it three times in three days thing' how easy would it be to create a program like senuti for windows? because if that happened M$ would be done if they dont have DRM or what ever its called, i dont know that was just a guess, like apple has done.

MS has DRM. Zune, apparently, infects even the songs you rip from CD or steal from the internet with it and limits them to 3 plays when they are transferred. I can see it now...a hacker creates a virus that makes it think all the songs on your own Zune have been copied from someone else and killing them all after 3 plays.
  • Reply 71 of 105
    Quote:

MS has DRM. Zune, apparently, infects even the songs you rip from CD or steal from the internet with it and limits them to 3 plays when they are transferred. I can see it now...a hacker creates a virus that makes it think all the songs on your own Zune have been copied from someone else and killing them all after 3 plays.

haha i would larf sooo much if that happened. i can see it now, all the rich/spoilt kids running round saying 'my zunes packed up'. i would love that. then i would say 'you silly sods' and larf again.
  • Reply 72 of 105
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Dirk

Why? Part of the reason for the 17" increase in battery life is because the physical dimensions of the laptop changed, compared to the 15"--there was physical room for a bigger battery. With the iPod, I would think dimensions wouldn't change--you'd just be stretching the screen out over the face of the device, like in the above photo. Now, that doesn't mean that Apple couldn't increase the size of the iPod itself, rather than just the screen--but that's not a certainty.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham

that mite be to do with the added space in the 17inch mbp though, as it did add quite a large amount of space inside the thing. i think the ipod is more likely to remain about the same size, possibly a bit thicker, but knowing apple, they will make it either the same size or thinner.

I don't buy this idea that the controls will be on the screen. Short of that, a true video iPod with a significantly larger screen - not Zune's size, but significantly larger for movie viewing - would necessitate a larger iPod. But I ain't Jonathon Ive, so who knows.
  • Reply 73 of 105
    Quote:

No, it only "infects" songs that you are transferring to another zune with that drm. So unless you somehow wrote a virus to drm all their songs, then somehow send the virus as a music file/picture file/video file, then it attached itself to all other files, I don't think you could do that. And whoever did that I would kick their butts then steal their Zune.
  • Reply 74 of 105
    julesjules Posts: 149member
    I think Microsoft as actually come up with a fully serious competitor to the ipod here, it doen't take on the ipod head on - not quiiiiiite. Close enough, but it's a quirky device, I mean, BROWN? but it works. It's got a kind of retro style to it, it's not that apple super dooper cool minimalistic style, they've gone their own direction with this and Apple is in for a tough time - this thing works with myspace, you can share your music, its quite unconventional, and not what you really expect from microsoft. One wonders what else it can do.

IF Apple come up with the big screen ipod, no question they will win hands down again, but they have come out with some pretty half baked offerings recently, I mean, whats up with a big media event to announce a back to the past Nano which now looks like the machine 2 generations before it, and a great 20gb extra on their high end Ipod. eh?

Come on Apple, sort it out!
  • Reply 75 of 105
    Yeah, it's amazing the wonders they have accomplished. Who would have thought that repackaging the Gigabeat and adding a useless feature would be such a breakthrough. Of course planting shills in forums and chat rooms to tell everyone how cool it is is also a great idea.
  • Reply 76 of 105
    Quote:

Yeah, it's amazing the wonders they have accomplished. Who would have thought that repackaging the Gigabeat and adding a useless feature would be such a breakthrough. Of course planting shills in forums and chat rooms to tell everyone how cool it is is also a great idea.

• Reply 77 of 105
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woody56292

Hit a nerve did I?
  • Reply 78 of 105
    Quote:

Hit a nerve did I?

no I just don't appreciate being called a troll by a fanboy. ( or a fanboy by a troll, take your pick)

oh well no worries. let's all just be friends.
  • Reply 79 of 105
    Funny I don't recall saying anything about you. I wonder why you thought it applied to you? Let me go look through your other posts...

Well, lets see, almost everything is about how great Zune is. Why would you post this on an Apple "fanboy" site? None of us will even be able to use Zune. Or are you supposed to convert us to Windows also? Go ask Ballmer for further instructions. In the meantime may I suggest posting at http://www.zunescene.com/forums/

You might also want to look for a GIF that gives me the finger.
  • Reply 80 of 105
    I won't derail this any further, but here's one last link for Woody. http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/Hom...974628809.html Of course he's probably already posting comments there.