Anyone getting a Wii?

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 96
    I am getting a Wii. Makes the most sense to me, because I get to keep backwards compatibility with my GC library (like I play anything besides madden anyways) and because I can't wait to play the virtual console lineup. All my GC discs and controllers should work on the Wii. So, it's all good.

Besides, Wii is probably the only console I could play with my gf. I can't do that no matter how fancy the PS3/X360 graphics get.

It's all about the gameplay... right? right? hehe.
  • Reply 82 of 96
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

but games all have a similar concept and eventually you reach a point where they stop being interesting.

Eh?

What are you doing on this thread then?
  • Reply 83 of 96
    Posting on AppleInsider and reading posts and arguing and stuff is all kind of like playing a game. Or, for me, since I left my game rig in another country, it's the only game in town for me ...at least until I decide to get a PS2+Games off eBay.
  • Reply 84 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kishan

Hey, what is the story with the WII and Nintendo's DS? I just bought a DS today on a whim and with the WiFi built in, I would imagine that Nintendo has something in mind for linking the two or integrating the two. Anyone know anything about this?

I think that you might be able to play a few select games with the Wii and your DS. And maybe you can download some demos of games from the Wii? And Pictochat?

yeah idk, but I bet Nintendo has something up there sleeves.
  • Reply 85 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman

(I'll shut up soon...) But I really would have to check out how the Wii VGA-out looks on a 1280x1024 17" monitor. If upscaling looks crap, Frack it.

Are you a Battlestar Galactica fan???

Back on Topic: 360 - not exciting to me at all, PS3 - I'd love to have one, but I'm not will to shell out that kindof money for a game system, especially after I've spent an butt-ton of money on camera gear and a new iMac. 24" yeah. The Wii sounds really cool to me, at the 250 price I'll probably pick one up in the spring.
  • Reply 86 of 96
    Just curious anyone still running a Dreamcast? I'm dusting mine off this next week and hitting half.com for some cheap games.
  • Reply 87 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LiquidR

Are you a Battlestar Galactica fan???

Frack yeah !
  • Reply 88 of 96
    Due to the shortage of good sci fi on TV (since DeepSpaceNine ended), Battlestar Galactica new version is rockin'. Well, there's new version of Doctor Who, but it's a bit too low-production-value British TV stuff.
  • Reply 89 of 96
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I will get Wii on launch day. I'll need at least one extra remote but I don't know how man extra nunchucks I'll need. Zelda: yes.

The one thing I'm irked about is that I have to buy another component video cable because it can't use the one I purchased for my Game Cube. Also slight irked that the Wii version of Zelda can't be played with a classic Game Cube controller. But I'll get over both of these issues pretty quickly.
  • Reply 90 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xool

I will get Wii on launch day. I'll need at least one extra remote but I don't know how man extra nunchucks I'll need. Zelda: yes.

The one thing I'm irked about is that I have to buy another component video cable because it can't use the one I purchased for my Game Cube. Also slight irked that the Wii version of Zelda can't be played with a classic Game Cube controller. But I'll get over both of these issues pretty quickly.

Im gonna get a Wii. It seems pretty cool. I already have a 360 too.

By the way Sony is getting way to cocky. Just last week they were asked about the competition and they replied "We don't care." Who doesn't care about competition? Especially competition that has a years start on you already. Stupid sony...
  • Reply 91 of 96
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xool

Yeah- I was thinking about just picking up a second remote and not a second nunchuck, but the nunchuck is needed for Wii boxing...

I hear the control with the nunchuck and remote on Zelda is much more fun than playing with the standard gamecube controller...
  • Reply 93 of 96
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    I found out the XBOX 360 has all games meet the minimum spec of 720p, that is, 1280x720. I found out there is a VGA adaptor for XBOX 360 that will output to 1280x1024 resolution, perfect for my LCD monitor.

The Wii is cheaper than XBOX 360 but with only 480p max res it is a bit too low-end for me because the pixelation will look bad.

The XBOX 360 1280x720 output on a 1280x1024 screen should look good.

The XBOX 360 is priced between the Wii and the PS3, the PS3 has BluRay (who needs it) and is delayed until March 2007 in Australia (and Europe as well, I think).

As mentioned in my previous posts, I'm looking to break out of the nonsensical PC-gaming-GPU fps-obsessed upgrade cycle and jump ship to a console that outputs just nicely onto my Sony 17" LCD monitor. Without buying another TV or display set. DVI would be good but VGA will have to do for now.

Looks like the XBOX360 will fit my bill, and PS3 can take its time to show up eventually.

But I've still got a few months to ponder about the XBOX360...
  • Reply 94 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shadow Slayer 26

Im gonna get a Wii. It seems pretty cool. I already have a 360 too.

By the way Sony is getting way to cocky. Just last week they were asked about the competition and they replied "We don't care." Who doesn't care about competition? Especially competition that has a years start on you already. Stupid sony...

Just a few weeks ago Shigeru Miyamoto (creator of Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong...) said that the PS2 only came in the lead last generation because of the "gimmicky" DVD playback feature. I think it's safe to say that a lot of these people are in their own ivory towers :P
  • Reply 95 of 96
    I've been thinking about this whole console versus computer PC thing. First off, kicking back on the couch with a big screen and a controller is simply superior to the keyboard, mouse, and a computer monitor. But the real issue is not pc versus console, the issue is an open system versus a proprietary system.

The Xbox 360 is a computer, but a very proprietary and specialized computer. Of course you can only run one kind of software on an Xbox, games. And Microsoft decides what games you have access to, because all titles must pay licencing fees to Micro$oft. You can access the internet on Xbox 360, but the only place you can go is Xbox Live.

You dont own your game console any more than you own your cable box. You have no control over the Operating System, internet access, or software (games). And you pay Microsoft for every game you purchase, and for access to Xbox Live.

As I type this post, I am at my computer on my desk. My computer is five years old, and no way could it run HL2 or the latest computer games. Next to my clunky old computer is my TV with DVD player...and my Xbox.

In short I have two computers, (PC and Xbox), two displays, (my monitor and my TV), and three disc players, (PC, Xbox, and DVD player).

In addition I have a cable set top box, and a cable router. I pay a disgusting amount for all this redundant equipment, and I pay for cable, (the greatest scam since the Federal Reserve).

If I buy Xbox 360 just for the latest generation of games, I need a $500 console, AND at least another $500 for a HDTV. If I spend that money on a new PC, I'm back to the ball and chain, (keyboard and mouse). Either way, that's a thousand bucks to play the next generation of games.

This has got to stop. There is all this talk about the "convergence" of the TV, game console, and computer. But it wont happen with these proprietary systems.

• Reply 96 of 96
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Populist

...If I buy Xbox 360 just for the latest generation of games, I need a $500 console, AND at least another $500 for a HDTV. If I spend that money on a new PC, I'm back to the ball and chain, (keyboard and mouse). Either way, that's a thousand bucks to play the next generation of games...

Hey some interesting comments. Have to start by pointing out that you do NOT need that extra $500 for a HDTV. What's your computer monitor resolution? Worse it can be is 640x480. XBOX360 VGA out supports your computer monitor.

Check out

http://hardware.teamxbox.com/reviews...D-AV-Cable/p1/

If it is accurate, it means that "the resolutions you unlock when using the Xbox 360 VGA HD AV cable are as follows:

640x480

848x480

1024x768

1280x720

1280x768

1280x1024

1360x768"

The convergence is here, and this is why I was blabbing on about being able to use my Sony 1280x1024 17" LCD for my casual PC as it moves from gaming rig to old gaming rig and still use the LCD monitor for a gaming platform like the XBOX360.

You just need a monitor switcher box (cheap) to flip inputs between the PC and the XBOX360 VGA out - worse come to worse you can have 640x480 on your old PC monitor. That's higher definition than a standard TV already.

If you have a monitor say even 4 years old, it will very likely support 1024x768 resolution - guess what, that's almost close to HDTV's 1280x720. The megapixel difference is tiny, the megapixels are 0.79megapixels for 1024x768 on a standard oldish computer monitor and 0.92 for the HDTV 720p 1280x720pixels standard. With my 1280x1024 monitor I would technically get MORE megapixels than a 720p big flatscreen HDTV, I get 1.31megapixels. Now all XBOX360 titles are supposed to put out a minimum of 1280x720pixels (720p). That is of course downscaled if you use on a lower-than-720p HDTV. Admittedly, I don't know if I VGA-out the XBOX360 to my 1280x1024 LCD does that mean it will render that resolution or upscale 1280x720pixels. In any case upscaling from 1280x720 to 1280x1024, as long as it doesn't have any weird stretching issues, will be fine. I'll be happy for it to render it as 1280x720pixels native on the LCD, that is, having black bars on the top and bottom of the LCD for "widescreen" effect. This is better than upscaling the 480p of the Wii to 1280x1024 which is a big jump.