Apple to update MacBook lines in time for holidays

Comments

• Reply 161 of 199
    entry level macbook pro is definately going to be replaced. i'd put $50 on it if i could haha. .. i just know it will haha. seriously though. $500usd difference between midrange and entry level macbooks for generally marginal upgrades... its begging for a replacement i think
  • Reply 162 of 199
    janmcijanmci Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UCSCAznSlug

I am at new student at UC Santa Cruz waiting just like everyone else to purchase a new Core 2 Duo Macbook. I was talking to the Apple reps at the Bay Tree Book store on the UCSC campus and they told me that Apple has STOPPED shipment of all the Core Duo Macbook ands Macbook Pros to the UCSC Campus. They are to sell the remaining stock of Core Duo Macbooks they have remaining and await word from Apple..... They said to me the Core 2 Duo Macbook and Macbook Pros will be out in October and that my wait will be long over.

I hope they are right about this one.

Go Slugs!

Best news I've read all week.
  • Reply 163 of 199
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Yeah but there's still 28 or so days to go before October ends! But 99% chance new MacBookPros will be updated. NOT MacBooks. Just my prediction. I have been known to be sorely wrong quite a few times. Bloody Apple and the mysterious ways in which they move...
  • Reply 164 of 199
    abhayabhay Posts: 45member
    Article about macbook pro and the new core 2 duo chips: Obviously there are lot of sites discussing this but it seems that core duo 2 didn't add much value for a change based on pcworld...

http://www.spymac.com/news/article.php?contentid=5253
  • Reply 165 of 199
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by abhay

Article about macbook pro and the new core 2 duo chips: Obviously there are lot of sites discussing this but it seems that core duo 2 didn't add much value for a change based on pcworld...

http://www.spymac.com/news/article.php?contentid=5253

I read this as well but I don't agree. Take a look a little closer at the benchmarks by AnandTech: http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2808

The things I liked were video encoding and battery life. Video encoding for example is 21.7% faster for h.264 and 17.5% faster for DivX.

There is obviously more to performance than encoding times but this does point out that the core 2 chip is a worthy upgrade in my mind.
  • Reply 166 of 199
    Average of 15-20% better. For the same price. Possibly same heat and battery consumtion. Who wouldn't want that?
  • Reply 167 of 199
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Waiting for a possible update to the Macbook in time for Christmas.

Does anyone think that we'll see Superdrives as standard across the range? Looking around at the competition you will find DVD burners in almost all other notebooks, some at ridiculously low prices. Combo drives are nearly extinct (or should be IMHO).
  • Reply 168 of 199
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MiMac

Waiting for a possible update to the Macbook in time for Christmas.

Does anyone think that we'll see Superdrives as standard across the range? Looking around at the competition you will find DVD burners in almost all other notebooks, some at ridiculously low prices. Combo drives are nearly extinct (or should be IMHO).

its all about upselling.margin on the mid range macbook is higher than that on the low end. low end gets you interested, the extra feaures get you to get the mid range.
  • Reply 169 of 199
    True, true. Though for a substantial extra outlay you don't get an awful lot more for your money by buying the mid-range MB (at the moment).

A Superdrive in place of a combo and a meagre speed bump at £150 GBP extra is pretty steep don't you think?
  • Reply 170 of 199
    Looking at specs for a new Toshiba Core2Duo notebook with 1024MB Ram/100GB HD/15.4" LCD/256MB ATI X1400 Graphics AND dual layer DVD burner, all for £799 GBP, the current MB looks a little shabby.

I know some will say I'm comparing apples with oranges, though in today's tech savvie world, specifications like these at such a price sell a hell of a lot of computers.
  • Reply 171 of 199
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

A Superdrive in place of a combo and a meagre speed bump at £150 GBP extra is pretty steep don't you think?

It is pretty steep. I thought that bundle included a bigger hard drive too, but that doesn't happen except for the black one. The retail price difference for the faster chip and DVD writing looks to be about $100 US.
  • Reply 172 of 199
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:

Looking at specs for a new Toshiba Core2Duo notebook with 1024MB Ram/100GB HD/15.4" LCD/256MB ATI X1400 Graphics AND dual layer DVD burner, all for £799 GBP, the current MB looks a little shabby.

I know some will say I'm comparing apples with oranges, though in today's tech savvie world, specifications like these at such a price sell a hell of a lot of computers.

nice price. i am right now looking at a core2duo dell d820, 2gb ram that my company paid a ton of cash for...and it looks like carp. the build quality is horrible, the casing is really super cheap feeling and all around it doesn't 'feel' good at all. speed wise my macbook 1.83 2gb seems faster all around with windows xp on it, go figure.

oh, and installing parallels on it was interesting. dell turns off VT (virtualization) in the bios at the factory. whats up with that? how many people are going to know how to change bios for features?
  • Reply 173 of 199
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau

oh, and installing parallels on it was interesting. dell turns off VT (virtualization) in the bios at the factory. whats up with that? how many people are going to know how to change bios for features?

Maybe they know that the current VT is not very good? The last tests I've seen showed that it's slower than software virtualization, I'm not sure what benefit there is to using it. I think even Intel admitted that the current revision doesn't perform very well.
  • Reply 174 of 199
    I know of 3 people who have already recieved their dell notebooks with core 2 duo chips so it seems like apple is delaying it for some other reason other than not having enough chips...With this Intel Apple deal, there is no way that Apple did not get enough chips of core 2 duo as compared to other vendors. If dell can ship them in notebooks and people already have them, then apple is obviously delaying the release of new macbook pro's for some reason which sucks...how long do we have to wait????????
  • Reply 175 of 199
    Hey Guys!

Read this, My dad sent it to me.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=289

Is it ok if I do links?

Topher
  • Reply 176 of 199
    That's an interesting if a little bit old article. Apple is going to release Merom MacBookPro before end of November, probably late October. Yeah, I agree with the article, they need to get the Rev2 of MacBookPro right.

MacBooks are flying out the door so they'll probably go Merom in Macworld SF2007 January - with the next gen of Intel integrated graphics.
  • Reply 177 of 199
    The thing about Apple is that you can't want the latest and greatest the moment everybody is doing it. Each Mac is an entity in and of itself with limited upgrade ability. It is about the experience you enjoy using the Mac. If you want the latest and greatest, then there's always building and tinkering with your own PC. That or doing all sorts of mods and hacks that seriously violate your Mac warranty 8)

The Intels in Macs now are quite good. Merom's 15-20% is worth waiting a few months for, but really, a MacBook now for most consumer to education needs is fine.

Pros have the MacBookPro and MacPro for all their needs. PowerBook G4s and iMac G5s and old PowerMac G5 dualies for Adobe/Macromedia work.
  • Reply 178 of 199
    With the "delays" though with the MacBookPro Merom, I hope they get everything right in the Rev2 models.
  • Reply 179 of 199
    just in from a apple retailer

Askt them about the MBP C2D ...... whe know when you know it, they say.

BUT this is what he told me ..... when we are out of stock and we ask for new MBPs they arrive the next day

BUT now they wont deliver ........

*jumping up and gigling
  • Reply 180 of 199
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vorm-krijger

just in from a apple retailer

Askt them about the MBP C2D ...... whe know when you know it, they say.

BUT this is what he told me ..... when we are out of stock and we ask for new MBPs they arrive the next day

BUT now they wont deliver ........

*jumping up and gigling

Could you explain this further? ..Has apple stopped delivering macbook pro? I mean on apple website, it still says estimated shipping 24 hours so obviously they have enough stock. Apple store in Sacramento has enough macbook pros so i am not sure what is happening or what apple store told you.