15" macbook ??

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
dont u think its time for apple to have a cheap 15" laptop?

if u want the Mac OSX with 15" screen, u should pay $2500 ..

i think there should be atleast a $1500 macbook with 15" screen..

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    is 13" and 15" really that much of a big deal to you?

It'd make more sense to do the reverse then to make bigger consumer machines.
  • Reply 2 of 52
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    There should be a 15-inch MacBook. If one wants a 15-inch display they have to pony up an additional $700 for the MacBook Pro. That's outrageous. Not only should there be a 15-inch MacBook, there should also be a 17-inch MacBook too. Not everyone needs a discreet graphics card and firewire 800. You can get a 15-inch Dell Inspiron E1505 notebook for about $1,399, components configured similarly (hard drive, RAM, etc.) to the current 13.3-inch widescreen MacBook with a 2.0GHz Core2 Duo processor.
  • Reply 3 of 52
    What about the 12''? Did they completely drop the 12 inch line?

I still believe that they have a 12 inch beauty MacBook Pro in the making. I love my PowerBook 12'' and wouldnt want anything bigger. And not widescreen. (Right now, the 12 in. PB is the size of a sheet of paper, so it is convenient and portable).

-hockey2891
  • Reply 4 of 52
    mzaslovemzaslove Posts: 519member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755

There should be a 15-inch MacBook. If one wants a 15-inch display they have to pony up an additional $700 for the MacBook Pro. That's outrageous. Not only should there be a 15-inch MacBook, there should also be a 17-inch MacBook too. Not everyone needs a discreet graphics card and firewire 800. You can get a 15-inch Dell Inspiron E1505 notebook for about $1,399, components configured similarly (hard drive, RAM, etc.) to the current 13.3-inch widescreen MacBook with a 2.0GHz Core2 Duo processor.

Yeah, and everyone should have a Ferrari for 20K. I like my Ferrari's and my MBP's because they're more elite. Yup, the masses are asses. Why muddle the whole thing; there's a great student, lower price notebook called the MacBook. There are hotter, larger screened, more powerful notebooks for professionals (or those who have more money then they should) who need them. I'd hate for this to be Dell. Save your pennies, the MBP's are really worth it.
  • Reply 5 of 52
    flinch13flinch13 Posts: 228member
    Sorry. Apple is not going to make a 15 inch macbook. They already have a 15 inch portable. They tried having multiple iBooks, but that wasn't as profitable as making one middle-sized model. Fewer options=less things to manufacture and, if you ask me, a sleeker and less confusing product line. Apple just got out of the scheme you're asking for... let them do their own thing. If you NEED a 15 inch portable, then you're going to need to pay some extra dough.

And yes, the 12" portable is dead and gone as well.
  • Reply 6 of 52
    kzelk4kzelk4 Posts: 100member
    Quote:

What I really want to see is a macbook with a decent video card. Say even in the high-end black one they put a decent 1 in there.
  • Reply 7 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by flinch13

Sorry. If you NEED a 15 inch portable, then you're going to need to pay some extra dough.

Well that's just foolish. When the competition is selling a 15-inch with Core2 Duo and equivalent component specs for $1,399, then Apple's missing the boat big time. They can do it, and it doesn't complicate a thing. They should have a pro and consumer model of each notebook size (13-inch, 15-inch, and 17-inch). They have a 17-inch iMac, 20-inch iMac, 24-inch iMac, along with an array of sizes on their desktop displays. So it can be done and the 'simplicity argument' is a canard. People want the choice.
  • Reply 8 of 52
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Well that's just foolish. When the competition is selling a 15-inch with Core2 Duo and equivalent component specs for $1,399, then Apple's missing the boat big time. They can do it, and it doesn't complicate a thing. They should have a pro and consumer model of each notebook size (13-inch, 15-inch, and 17-inch). They have a 17-inch iMac, 20-inch iMac, 24-inch iMac, along with an array of sizes on their desktop displays. So it can be done and the 'simplicity argument' is a canard. People want the choice.

I don't know if Apple needs a pro and consumer model in all three sizes of portables (13", 15" and 17') but they do need more options at 15". That's the heart of the market. While I don't have data imediately available to back it up, I would bet that the vast majority of laptops sold are of the 15" size. Having really only one model with limited configurations at this size is undesirable for Apple and buyers alike.
  • Reply 9 of 52
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Yep, time for the Apple fanbois to stop making excuses and see through the mist. Apple have to get real on specs and price with the next revisions of MacBooks. Current offerings are too underspec'd and overpriced. Their competitors are already selling superior C2D notebooks at extremely attractive prices.

Christmas is coming...
  • Reply 10 of 52
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I think smaller is the way to go for consumer machines. I actually don't like how big the Macbook is at 13". It's heavy and the wide screen is clumsy. I much prefer my 12" powerbook size.

I'd like to see Apple make something like this:

http://uk.shopping.com/xPF-Sony_Sony...ok_VGN_T370P_L

If they can get the Macbook spec into that size of device and get a 9 hour battery life then I'd be very impressed. I think it's great how Sony got 1280x768 on that size of screen too.

I think Apple should actually scrap the consumer models entirely. They could do that with the desktops too.

Instead of a Macbook and Macbook Pro as separate, they could make them all aluminium but have colors like the ipod nano. White, silver or black.

You'd have the low end Macbook with integrated graphics and a Core Duo at 10.6". You'd have a 12" Macbook Semi with a mid range card and faster chips. Then you'd have a 15" MacbookPro with a high end card and the fastest chips. Maybe there could be a 17" in there too.

The desktops would be Mac Mini with integrated graphics and the lowest chips. You could have a Mac Semi, which is a bit bigger than the Mini with a mid range GPU and 7200 rpm drives. Then you have the Mac Pro with the highest end components.

Then you get the Mac lineup reduced to just 6 models - low, medium and high spec in both desktop and laptop.
  • Reply 11 of 52
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin

I think Apple should actually scrap the consumer models entirely. They could do that with the desktops too.

I think they call this financial suicide. The Macbooks and iMacs sell quite well. No need to throw the baby out with the bath water. I would like to see Apple eliminate the price premium for the black Macbook. Just offer one Macbook, at 13" starting at $999, and let the buyer configure as desired including color. Then offer a 15" Macbook Pro with intergrated graphics for $1699. The other MBPs would have graphics cards and keep current price points.
  • Reply 12 of 52
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac

The Macbooks ? sell quite well.

Hmmm? understatement of the year?

Anyway, I agree with the original poster and in fact had a long argument about it when the MacBook came out (in this thread, starting with my post (#172)). Apple tying power and other features to screen size is not clever. They should have 15" and 17" screens as options for the MacBook.
  • Reply 13 of 52
    abhayabhay Posts: 45member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

Hmmm? understatement of the year?

Anyway, I agree with the original poster and in fact had a long argument about it when the MacBook came out (in this thread, starting with my post (#172)). Apple tying power and other features to screen size is not clever. They should have 15" and 17" screens as options for the MacBook.

What will be the difference between a macbook and macbook pro then? The features will be same for both, in fact there were posts on these forums that the magentic keyboard and latch should be adopted for macbook pro.s so if features are same, screen size are same, core 2 duo chips same, then why have a distinction between bacbook and macbook pro? I thought the biggest difference was that macbook is 13" and macbook pro 15" and 17"....
  • Reply 14 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by abhay

What will be the difference between a macbook and macbook pro then?

Differences between MacBook and MacBook Pro besides screen size:

Dedicated graphics processor

Much better power (as in computing power) : weight ratio (a 15.4" Macbook would be less powerful and heavier than the MacBook Pro)

More attractive casework (well, I prefer aluminium casework, anyway)

Express card slot

Backlit keyboard
  • Reply 15 of 52
    mzaslovemzaslove Posts: 519member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

Differences between MacBook and MacBook Pro besides screen size:

Dedicated graphics processor

Much better power (as in computing power) : weight ratio (a 15.4" Macbook would be less powerful and heavier than the MacBook Pro)

More attractive casework (well, I prefer aluminium casework, anyway)

Express card slot

Backlit keyboard

You want a Ferrari, ya gotta pay, or you end up with those bad fiberglass Daytona bodies they used to put on Ford chassises back in the early 80's. Doesn't seem like the "underpowered" MacBooks are selling so badly right now despite Xmas and other companies' offerings. Besides, didn't they say upgrades before the end of November? You get what you pay for.
  • Reply 16 of 52
    Maybe Apple will offer up the MacBook and MacBook Pro in the same enclosure? If they do it right they can make each model lighter than they currently are. Let's say Apple made every MacBook and MacBook Pro use the case the MacBook is using now. White would be consumer with integrated graphics...black would be professional with a dedicated graphics processor. Level the playing field, shall we?

Whatever happens, I think one should not ignore how much of a great seller the MacBook is - compared to the MacBook Pro. It would behoove Apple to at least introduce a MacBook model in a 15-inch widescreen size.
  • Reply 17 of 52
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    Quote:

Maybe Apple will offer up the MacBook and MacBook Pro in the same enclosure? If they do it right they can make each model lighter than they currently are. Let's say Apple made every MacBook and MacBook Pro use the case the MacBook is using now. White would be consumer with integrated graphics...black would be professional with a dedicated graphics processor. Level the playing field, shall we?

Whatever happens, I think one should not ignore how much of a great seller the MacBook is - compared to the MacBook Pro. It would behoove Apple to at least introduce a MacBook model in a 15-inch widescreen size.

I think that part of the success of the MacBook seems from its small size and portability for people who don't care about having the top-of-the-line computer and just want a nice small one with nice productivity.
  • Reply 18 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aiolos

I think that part of the success of the MacBook seems from its small size and portability for people who don't care about having the top-of-the-line computer and just want a nice small one with nice productivity.

I've said this before, but the MacBook isn't particularly small. It certainly does not fill the gap left by the 12" Powerbook by any stretch. The truth is that right now, if you want a subnotebook, you can go anyplace but Apple, and that's a shame.
  • Reply 19 of 52
    the macbook is basically the size of an a4 peice of paper. personally i cant see any use in anyhing smaller.
  • Reply 20 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzaslove

You want a Ferrari, ya gotta pay, or you end up with those bad fiberglass Daytona bodies they used to put on Ford chassises back in the early 80's. Doesn't seem like the "underpowered" MacBooks are selling so badly right now despite Xmas and other companies' offerings. Besides, didn't they say upgrades before the end of November? You get what you pay for.

I'm confused. How does this relate to the post that you quoted?

And how does it relate to the MacBook having a 15" or 17" screen? You are seriously saying that 15.4" and 17" screens are "Ferrari" features? Check out the competition, you can get some really rather inexpensive 15.4" and 17" laptops. Obviously, they don't even begin to compare to the MacBook Pro. But what they do compare to is the currently non-existant 15.4" and 17" MacBook. The point is, if you want a large-screen laptop but are willing to sacrifice other features, you can buy a PC laptop or spend twice as much on a MacBook Pro. An easy choice for the average consumer. And yes, I know that the MacBook is selling well. It just could sell even better.

Presumably you like the MacBook? How does putting a 15.4" or 17" screen on one suddenly turn it from something decent into something equivalent to "those bad fiberglass Daytona bodies they used to put on Ford chassises back in the early 80's"