Owners Of MDD Duals Post Here!

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    [quote]Originally posted by Masker:

<strong>I love my 867 MDD.

I wish I had gone w/ a BTO superdrive in it and then added a high speed CD-RW later.. BUT when i ordered I HAD to have it within a week. (was starting a business)

MSKR

[ 12-03-2002: Message edited by: Masker ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

That was the smartest decision you have ever made. The BTO SuperDrive you would have gotten has been discontinued for 3 months. You can now buy a new 4x Pioneer DVR-105 (raw) $249 list (supported with 10.2.2) and put it in your second bay for superior SuperDrive capacity. Congratulations! You were smarter than you thought you were!

[ 12-05-2002: Message edited by: Multimedia ]</p>
  • Reply 22 of 31
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    SoF 2 runs great on a DP 1250.

All you have to do is turn off Fullscreen Antialiasing and anisotropic filtering in the config file. for some stupid reason, they default to on.

Also the game doesn't support SMP.

But it runs fine for me now.

G-news
  • Reply 23 of 31
    quaremquarem Posts: 254member
    [quote]Originally posted by r-0X#Zapchud:

<strong>It's fast. Excellent on multitasking (Dual DivX encoding plus Quake 3 Urban Terror just fine without reniced applications) in OS X, especially compared to any single-processor x86 box in Win. 350 fps in Quake 3, good WC3 performance (could well be a bit faster though, if Blizzard ever multithreaded the game properly), not too loud if you keep the room cool... but the thing is HEAVY to carry to and from LAN's

But the most remarkable about the MDD is how good it looks </strong><hr></blockquote>

You are getting 350 fps in Quake 3? You must have the setting cranked way way down, because in all the tests I have done with my Dual 1 GHz, with GeForce 4 Ti, show at most 140-150 fps averages in Quake3. Which is less than half of what a top of the line PC will get in terms of FPS. I can't see the Dual 1.25 being that much faster either.

Back to the thread. I like my Dual GHz, but I won't be getting another Mac until they are close to some sort of parity with PC performance. The reason being is that I don't want to spend "a lot" of money on a Powermac and then listen to my friend that bought a PC for slightly less and then tell me how he doesn't really like the performance in Soldier of Fortune because his framerates DROPS to 100 FPS in some cases, while I get below that framerate on average.

I know, I'm probably not recieving a lot of sympathy from complaining about the performance of the second from fastest Mac ever produced. Sorry.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    frank_tfrank_t Posts: 428member
    Gee you would think there would be more people here that have these macs.....

Frank_t
  • Reply 25 of 31
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    you have r_smp set to 1 have you? and s_chunksize to 4096 and s_mixahead to 0.1?

My config isn't that badly tweaked as zapchud's for example, and I get up to 400 FPS on a DP 1250.

comparing using one of the fastest configs available on that Mac and on a friends P4 2.53G with Radeon 9700 and 1GB RAM (mine being a DP 1250 with 1GB RAM and a Radeon 9000), he got 477 and I got 456 FPS.

I don't consider that that much of a difference, especially considering his card is at least 150% as fast as mine (and about 300% as expensive).

the parity is there, in some applications and Q3 definitely is one of them.

G-News
  • Reply 26 of 31
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I can't even play Q3 with anything less than 400 fps.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    [quote]Originally posted by murbot:

<strong>I can't even play Q3 with anything less than 400 fps.</strong><hr></blockquote>

me too. the flicker only becomes tolerable above 350 fps
  • Reply 28 of 31
    naghanagha Posts: 71member
    MDD (1ghz/Radeon 9000/768MB/Superdrive) and i love it! i don't do gaming and mainly use it for PowerPoint presentations for work. it replaces my old beige G3/400 with Radeon 7000 and the difference is between nice and day.

i use 10.2 full time. for browsing, i use chimera with multiple prefs.js adjustments that have made browsing as fast as anything i've used on windows and i use some fast XP boxes at work.

i had been waiting for a fabled G5 for over 2 years and jumped when apple when dualie across the line again. given the choice, i wouldn't go back to a single processor system.

as for the person who said that screensavers have problems, i use xBack in the background and even under moderately heavy loads, it doesn't seem to have a problem. how much RAM do you have?

na
  • Reply 29 of 31
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    stupid question: what does MDD stand for?
  • Reply 30 of 31
    [quote]Originally posted by progmac:

<strong>stupid question: what does MDD stand for?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Mirror Drive Doors (the ones over the optical drive bays)

I.M. VanDeWaals
  • Reply 31 of 31
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    [quote]Originally posted by VanDeWaals:

<strong>

Mirror Drive Doors (the ones over the optical drive bays)

I.M. VanDeWaals</strong><hr></blockquote>

makes sense, and not as obvious as i thought it would be. thanks.