Zune Gloom

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Isn't the damned thing larger than a first gen iPod?

I want to be marketing director at MS. Such an easy job.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    30 GB iPod: 4.1 x 2.4 x 0.43 inches, 4.8 ounces

80 GB iPod: 4.1 x 2.4 x 0.55 inches (27.9% thicker), 5.5 ounces (14.58% heavier)

30 GB Zune: 4.4 x 2.4 x 0.58 inches (7.32% bigger, 34.88% thicker), 5.6 ounces (16.67% heavier)

Yes, I'm sure the WiFi chip and antenna and the bigger, same-res display must be the cause. Not.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Funny, looking at the linked pictures and reading the dimensions, it occurs to me that the one dimension you really want to keep to a minimum is thickness.

The Zune could even be a bit wider or taller, but if it were thin, like 30 gig iPod thin or thinner, it would still seem fairly svelte.

As it is, it's just a bit taller than an iPod but seems bulbous and brick like. It's like, imagine a Nano half an inch thick. Doesn't matter that it's tiny, that would kill it.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    What makes it so heavy? Isn't it all plastic on the outside?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Man that thing is ugly!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    For some reason, both Leo Laporte (of TWiT.tv) and Alex Lindsay (of PixelCorps) love it. I'll judge it once I can see it in person... but then again, I don't have a PC anyway to use it.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

For some reason, both Leo Laporte (of TWiT.tv) and Alex Lindsay (of PixelCorps) love it. I'll judge it once I can see it in person... but then again, I don't have a PC anyway to use it.

The interface on the zune itself doesn't look bad and is definitely more flashy than the iPod. Also, the bigger screen is handy for navigation. Clunky design and buttons doesn't wow anyone though.

Maybe it got killer battery life?

I dunno, I'm not sure why they're for it either. Have they actually held one?