Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD (2006)

Comments

• Reply 1281 of 2106
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Wow this thread is still going?!

All I know is the proof is in the pudding. EVERY SINGLE blu-ray movies I have seen so far have artifacts. From what I have been reading it is the mpeg2 compression they have chosen for blu-ray. This is unacceptable. IMO the balance between hd-dvd and blu-ray has recently been turned over into hd-dvd's favor. It also seems that everyone I talk to who is going to buy a ps3 doesn't even know or care about blu-ray. They just want the new graphics. IMO hd-dvd will be the winner.
  • Reply 1282 of 2106
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison

No ..hmurchison knows the capacity lead is with HD DVD with Dual Sided Dual-Layer discs. That gives us 60GB of data compatible with today's players and 90GB of data with Triple-Layer Dual Sided. If more storage is "cooler" then I'm still on top with HD DVD.

Most Blu-Ray fans don't know the specs beyond storage and what studios and CE vendors are supporting Blu-Ray so it's a bit like arguing with an infant. Looking deeper at the specs reveals that the bargain basement HD DVD player will be more well appointed than most BD players.

To answer OldCodger's question. I do not have a HD DVD player yet. I"m likely going to pick up an HD-A2 when they become available next month regardless of whether I have an HDTV or not. I haven't decided what I want to do there quite honestly.

Wow, and you claimed that me talking about 50GB discs for this year was a pipe dream for Blu-ray! Triple Layer discs (single sided or dual sided) are not even in the current HD DVD spec. Blu-ray, however does have the 50 GB, single sided discs as part of its spec.

Your claims of storage here pretty much equate to me talking about 100 GB quad layered single sided Blu-ray discs and the 200 GB single sided Blu-ray discs. In either case, they aren't going to happen any time soon, and Blu-ray undoubtedly will always have the storage edge, so truthfully, you aren't on top with HD DVD.
  • Reply 1283 of 2106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647

Wow this thread is still going?!

All I know is the proof is in the pudding. EVERY SINGLE blu-ray movies I have seen so far have artifacts. From what I have been reading it is the mpeg2 compression they have chosen for blu-ray. This is unacceptable. IMO the balance between hd-dvd and blu-ray has recently been turned over into hd-dvd's favor. It also seems that everyone I talk to who is going to buy a ps3 doesn't even know or care about blu-ray. They just want the new graphics. IMO hd-dvd will be the winner.

Well, given your post here, the only proof you've been seeing is the regurgitaton of FUD from other places. If you've really been reading, you would have known that only some movies are using MPEG2. There are already a good amount of titles utilizing H.264 and VC-1, and yes, some of these are also single layered discs. They've gotten good reviews too, mind you. Also, Tears of the Sun, and MPEG2 encode, is largely considered the best HD movie out to date--see highdefdigest. So, the only question is, are the artifacts you are claiming to see your own cataracts?
  • Reply 1284 of 2106
    Pics...

http://www.psm3mag.com/page/psm3?ent...er_up_pics_and

Video...

http://www.psm3mag.com/resources/psm3/ps3startup.mov (They may have removed the video)

In this case...

http://rapidshare.de/files/35329370/ps3startup.mov.html

Also, here is a picture of the PS3 remote...

Of course if you don't like the remote, you can always use your PS3 controller or your PSP.

Also, it looks like Sony updated their website, at least the last time I checked...

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/default.html

This thing is going to be sahhhhweeeet.
  • Reply 1285 of 2106
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7

Of course if you don't like the remote, you can always use your PS3 controller or your PSP.

Crap - another remote with no backlight.
  • Reply 1286 of 2106
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    ps3 graphics card might be less powerful than a GeFore 7800 GTX. Now if this is the case i dont understand why some people over the net will claim it will have better graphics than the 360? it wouldn't make any sense, and so far besides the bullcrap cgi sony spits out pretending its real footage, none of the games have appeared any better than 360 launch games

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=25838
  • Reply 1287 of 2106
    it Doesnt have an orgasm button!!!!!!

DAMN THE SONY HYPE MACHINE.
  • Reply 1288 of 2106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elixir

ps3 graphics card might be less powerful than a GeFore 7800 GTX. Now if this is the case i dont understand why some people over the net will claim it will have better graphics than the 360? it wouldn't make any sense, and so far besides the bullcrap cgi sony spits out pretending its real footage, none of the games have appeared any better than 360 launch games

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=25838

Article is over 1 year old--Wednesday 31 August 2005

Regardless, I'd take the info over at Inquirer for what it is worth--not much.
  • Reply 1289 of 2106
    Quote:

Well, given your post here, the only proof you've been seeing is the regurgitaton of FUD from other places. If you've really been reading, you would have known that only some movies are using MPEG2.

Granted I haven't seen EVERY single blu-ray movie so far. But the ones I have seen have had horrible artifacts. This was in Sony's OWN STORE!! Yet each of the HD-DVD movies I have seen have had great details and no artifacts.

IMO i'm shocked you guys are still going at it on this thread. This thread is a battle of the fan boys and nothing more. No matter what technical details are shown, or quality of video is described will win this war. This isn't something the consumer is going to decide... this one is 100% up to the movie studios. By the time ps3's really start to sell.. it may be a bit too late for that to even be a factor.

I can see it going this way...

4 different media being produced for a long time..... DVD, PSP, HD-DVD, & Blu-ray. There really isn't any reason one should triumph over the other with the exception of HD-DVD / Blu-ray vs DVD.. but I still find that one hard to believe. It's been proven the consumer will settle for lower quality for cheaper prices and convenience. What makes you guys think the consumer will want to even upgrade? I know this has been discussed in this thread already. I have over 500 DVDs. It will be a LONG..... LONGGGG time before I upgrade 100% to whatever. the VHS vs DVD argument is different than DVD vs. blu-ray / hd-dvd.

But either way... continue bitting each other's heads off... kgo
  • Reply 1290 of 2106
    Quote:

Article is over 1 year old--Wednesday 31 August 2005

Regardless, I'd take the info over at Inquirer for what it is worth--not much.

i know, but so far everyone who reports back says the graphics aren't anything beyond. its what sony does, they create false hype, people bite, then get let down.

this time most people wont need to stick with sony, majority of the games are going to the 360. before you could only get a good amount of games on the playstation, so people stayed, this isn't the case this time.

all sony has is mgs (which might go else where) and GT that isn't that special anymore.

for the sake of going around in circles and making myself out to seem like i bash sony, lets just say i'm still waiting for a single indication on why someone should spend that amount of money on that system (besides blu-ray which isn't a given yet)
  • Reply 1291 of 2106
    Quote:

Granted I haven't seen EVERY single blu-ray movie so far. But the ones I have seen have had horrible artifacts. This was in Sony's OWN STORE!!

I was just in a sony store, and I was surprised how terrible all the television pictures were. I don't know if any was bluray or if it was all conventional dvd and broadcast, but all the HD screens looked worse than my cheap crt TV I've had for years.

If sony has some great quality, they sure weren't showing it off.
  • Reply 1292 of 2106
    i'm sorry but where is greggy ?

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

sony stock prices have dropped over conerns of ps3 overheating and restarting issues at the tokyo game show. some say it might have been how the ps3 was enclosed, but shouldn't reps from sony have placed the system in an environment where enough ventilation would be provided? ha, beats me, but i bet its no worse than wehre some kids placed their 360's that were having issues.

like i've said in here before, if sony and the ps3 end up having recalls, and heating issues, its going to spell doom for the company...
  • Reply 1293 of 2106
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    I played Gran Turismo HD, Resistance and a game called Motor Storm on the PS3 last week and was blown away.

They had four PS3's hooked up to 46" 1080P flat panels playing the above games (the forth had some crazy Japanese golf game which I didn't play). The PS3's were mounted underneath the flat panels, behind curved, clear plastic.

I was there for over an hour and didn't see a single glitch or restart - not scientific, by any means, but the PS3's seem to work just fine. Gran Turismo HD was especially gorgeous.
  • Reply 1294 of 2106
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    all this to-ing and fro-ing b/w blu-ray and hd doesn't seem to be getting anywhere - many ppl seem to have made up their minds one way or another already. initially i was all for blu-ray - cool name, big capacity, the whole hi-def interactivity etc etc. now i lean towards HD because of things i heard coming out of nab about difficulties authoring blu-ray. to be honest, i'm just waiting for products from apple - hardware and software. macworld sf any chance??

sennen
  • Reply 1295 of 2106
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen

all this to-ing and fro-ing b/w blu-ray and hd doesn't seem to be getting anywhere - many ppl seem to have made up their minds one way or another already. initially i was all for blu-ray - cool name, big capacity, the whole hi-def interactivity etc etc. now i lean towards HD because of things i heard coming out of nab about difficulties authoring blu-ray. to be honest, i'm just waiting for products from apple - hardware and software. macworld sf any chance??

sennen

sennen that's interesting. I hadn't come across any news about Blu-Ray authoring regarding it's difficulty but it's understandable. I think both HD DVD and Blu-Ray will require a pretty big learning curve to master their features like any good authoring environment.

I'm promoting the format that I think gives the best balance of HD quality for price and that's HD DVD but if Blu-Ray can win the battle by offering more value they are welcome to compete for my money.
  • Reply 1296 of 2106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cake

I played Gran Turismo HD, Resistance and a game called Motor Storm on the PS3 last week and was blown away.

They had four PS3's hooked up to 46" 1080P flat panels playing the above games (the forth had some crazy Japanese golf game which I didn't play). The PS3's were mounted underneath the flat panels, behind curved, clear plastic.

I was there for over an hour and didn't see a single glitch or restart - not scientific, by any means, but the PS3's seem to work just fine. Gran Turismo HD was especially gorgeous.

Haven't seen this hashed out yet.. but curious as to what the load times were like with blu-ray. I've been reading that blu-ray is slower than hd-dvd.
  • Reply 1297 of 2106
    Quote:

Haven't seen this hashed out yet.. but curious as to what the load times were like with blu-ray. I've been reading that blu-ray is slower than hd-dvd.

Where are you reading or getting your information in this regard?--as the Blu-ray standalone player from Samsung is well known for being faster in loading discs when compared to both HD DVD standalone players.

In regarding the PS3 and Blu-ray load times, per the article I linked, load times were fast...

http://www.psm3mag.com/page/psm3?ent...er_up_pics_and

Quote:

Some more details of the brute in action:

1) It's quiet like a sleeping baby. A barely audible hum. With the TV on you simply can't hear it at all.

2) It's heavy like a planet. No, really. It's impossible to pick up with one hand.

3) It's shiny like a mirror. In fact, it's impossible to take a photograph of it without the flash spanging every picture into a starburst mess. And therefore it's massively prone to fingerprintage too, with the tiny amount of dust in the office magically attaching itself to its surface in seconds.

4) The PS3 joypad is very light and the tilt system is very responsive. We like.

5) The start up is amazingly fast. And game load times were faster than expected. In fact, PS3 does both at about the same speed of PSP. ie, Long load times due to the massive Blu-ray disc? Nope. Simply not an issue.

So, again I ask, where are you getting your information? Because, in all honesty, I'm reading and hearing the exact opposite of what you post here. So, please provide links if you have material to the contrary as it will provide a more substantial debate. Thanks.
  • Reply 1298 of 2106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cake

Nice!!! How did you manage this? Did you go to TGS? Do tell!
  • Reply 1299 of 2106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elixir

for the sake of going around in circles and making myself out to seem like i bash sony, lets just say i'm still waiting for a single indication on why someone should spend that amount of money on that system (besides blu-ray which isn't a given yet)

Nor is HD DVD a given yet. What makes you have it the other way in that you justify the purchase of your comparitively equipped Xbox360 (with HD DVD add-on that 1. can't play games and 2. has no hdmi port and 3. has the glaring historical issue of being an external drive) at the same price of $499 or $599? What makes the Xbox360 worth the price? Especially given that you'll get the assurance of 90% of studio movie support when buying the PS3 as well as huge catalog of games. Not to mention I beleive the hard drive capacity of the high end Xbox360 (20GB and $599 with HD DVD add-on) is the same capacity hard drive that is found in the less pricey/lower end PS3 (20GB and $499) when compared to a comparitively equipped high end Xbox 360, so there is added value in this regard for the lower end PS3 as well.

This is my hangup on your entire argument. You state that the PS3 price is too high, but for a comparitively equipped Xbox360, you have no qualms as to the price? Can you say double standard?
  • Reply 1300 of 2106
    Touted as a big backer of the HD DVD format, NEC is selling a water-cooled Blu-ray PC now. It is pretty expensive, but I guess it includes the monitor, surround sound speakers, etc. Anyways, I have yet to see NEC jump into the HD DVD fray, so does this mean they've had a change in plans to go Blu-ray exclusively? Regardless, this is yet another CE company joining the very large Blu-ray wave...

http://www.cio.com/blog_view.html?CID=25491

Quote:

Oct 04, 2006NEC to Sell Water-Cooled PC With Blu-ray Drive

OCT 04, 2006 07:57:23 AM | Add Comment (0) | Permalink

Japanese users won’t have to worry about a noisy cooling fan disturbing them while they watch high-definition movies on NEC’s newest computer. The PC, equipped with a Blu-ray drive, uses water-cooling instead.

A prototype of the PC, called the Valuestar X VX780/GD, was on display this week at the Ceatec exhibition in Chiba, Japan.

As most Japanese live in small apartments, PCs often do double-duty as both a computer and an entertainment system. But the use of cooling fans means that PCs are not as quiet as standalone DVD players, often interrupting the movie-watching experience. The use of water-cooling means NEC’s Valuestar X runs quietly, making just 31 decibels of noise, or slightly more than a whisper.

Priced at 543,000 yen (US$4,612), the PC is clearly not intended for people on a budget. But for those willing to pay more for a high-end system, the Valuestar X, which is due to go on sale in December and runs Microsoft’s Windows XP Home Edition operating system, offers some impressive features.

In addition to the Blu-ray drive and water-cooling system, the PC offers a digital television tuner, a 3.4GHz Intel Pentium D 945 processor, 1GB of RAM, and dual 250GB hard drives. It also includes a remote control and a 20-inch widescreen liquid crystal display (LCD) with internal flat-panel NXT speakers that provide surround sound.