I want a Mac Pro!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have had reservations in the past regarding switching to a Mac. My issues were with 1. Hardware (cost/performance ratio), 2. Software (many programs I use for work or pleasure wouldn't run on a Mac, or I would have to purchase replacements), and 3. I didn't like the OS. I have accumulated the opinion over the past few years that Macs just weren't for me.

So with the recent changes in Mac Hardware and OS, I felt it was time to re-evaluate... and my conclusion is simply that the Mac Pro rocks! I want one. I think Apple deserves a try on my home desktop, I am truly impressed.

I'm a little on the frugal side, and I can try to be a little patient... so what's the best way for me to get a deal of some sort on a Mac Pro? I do prefer buying new from Apple or one of Apple's authorized resellers.

When is a good time to look for rebates and deals? Does Apple typically do Black Friday deals? Should I buy a minimum machine and upgrade it using a 3rd party? Any other recommendations?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    No rebates and deals... ever-- at least from Apple. 3rd party resellers might throw in something extra, but don't expect much. A printer, some RAM, Windows pre-installed...

Since the pro is upgradeable on a lot of fronts, I'd judge your initial purchase by what you need and want it to do. The Mac pro is probably going to be VERY capable for some time to come.

My only suggestion would be to wait for Leopard's release if you can. Not only will you save the money for the upgrade, but your computer will come brand spanking new with an OS that will be tuned for it.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    And don't forget...once you go Mac, you'll never go back.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mverrilli

When is a good time to look for rebates and deals? Does Apple typically do Black Friday deals? Should I buy a minimum machine and upgrade it using a 3rd party? Any other recommendations?

Buying refurb machines is usually the only way to get cheaper Macs. Resellers sometimes give you a bit extra Ram or a slight discount but it's usually nothing special.

You can get a low spec one and upgrade it with 3rd party stuff but it's tricky with things like GPUs because they might not have drivers for OS X.

I'd probably just get the lowest Mac Pro (you can configure it with quad 2GHz) with 2GB Ram and go from there.