To MIMO or not to MIMO? Router choices?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Well, it looks like our old wireless router is on its last legs and I am considering upgrading to a MIMO router (something like the Netgear 240 Wireless RangeMax).

So the big question, is this a good time to do this as far as Apples are concerned? Does anyone have an alternate suggestion or want to offer their top choice for a wireless router?

We have multiple Macs (all with Airport Extreme), an Airport express (to wirelessly enable the printer not to extend the range), and an XBox 360 all talking wirelessly now so we want to make sure we continue to support at least that.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I'd look into whether or not a MIMO router makes a difference when the clients aren't 802.11n as well.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    imantaimanta Posts: 29member
    Well most MIMO routers include support for g and b as well, so I am really thinking about next steps. Is it really too early to know if n will be ratified in its current condition? The real question is, does anyone have good wireless router recommendations?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Of course the MIMO routers support g and b, but the question is whether or not the g and b clients actually benefit from the added capabilities of the router.

If you want a really good router, check valuepoint networks. Hook it up to a big omni and you're all set. Otherwise, as far as I'm concerned, they're all the same. Get the one with the most antennas.